Cyberpunk 2077 - Vehicles Video

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports on some new videos for Cyberpunk 2077 shows off the vehicles.

CD Projekt RED has released a new gameplay trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 that focuses on vehicles. This trailer will give you a glimpse at the vehicles you'll be able to drive. Moreover, CD Projekt RED confirmed that the game will feature races.

[...]

More information.

The full presentation from earlier today.:)

Cyberpunk 2077 — Night City Wire: Episode 4

Whoa. If I watch the videos on each thread, they're different!
Pfft...no one watches the videos on my thread except a few watchers.:biggrin:

Nice set of vehicles by CD Project Rockstar. :biggrin:

Hope they allow for switching between controller and K&M on the fly so I can drive with a controller and do everything else with K&M.

I'm not a big vehicle guy when it comes to RPGs, but I have to admit the attention to detail there is pretty damn impressive.

Cute chick hosting the video…

Looks like a fun game for people who like this setting. I'm just waiting for CDP to get done with it so they can maybe make another fantasy setting based game.

Looks like a fun game for people who like this setting. I'm just waiting for CDP to get done with it so they can maybe make another fantasy setting based game.

Yeah, there's nowhere near enough of those. I hate that we get 50 Cyberpunk games a year and we're lucky to get one game with Dwarves, dragons or Vikings per decade.

Nice set of vehicles by CD Project Rockstar. :biggrin:

Since this comparison is made constantly, either in jest or in perfect seriousness, I have a question.

How would CDPR go about putting vehicles/driving in the game and NOT invite countless GTA references? It's a rhetorical question as far as I know, because I think the answer is actually that there isn't a way, but if someone has any real insight I'd like to hear it.

Or it is people's opinion that in a major urban setting everyone should just walk?

From these videos and others what is more impressive, to me at least, is that they have created new cities, structures, brands, cloths, cars, TV channels, gangs .. etc and a whole simulation space from almost scratch. This is very impressive.

Since this comparison is made constantly, either in jest or in perfect seriousness, I have a question.

How would CDPR go about putting vehicles/driving in the game and NOT invite countless GTA references? It's a rhetorical question as far as I know, because I think the answer is actually that there isn't a way, but if someone has any real insight I'd like to hear it.

Or it is people's opinion that in a major urban setting everyone should just walk?

Simple, CDPR will make those persistent, in GTA all you had to do is look briefly somewhere else for the cars to disappear or change completely :D

There have been a few other games with cars, such as Mafia, Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs, Half-Life 2 (I know, that's a stretch), Far Cry, the Arma series, … Others had mounts, like Skyrim, The Witcher, … And not all of them were as desperate as a Rockstar product, it's linked to the open-world nature of the game. Too much walking could put some players off, see the frequent remarks in ATOM, for example. The alternative is a magical portal that brings you instantaneously in another part of the world, like in D:OS 2, BG3, or The Witcher 3. But it's a bit disruptive for the immersion, so I guess there will always be something to be said when a game becomes too big, because it brings more grind to the players.

Personally I'm not a big fan of vehicles when they don't behave realistically (due to my sim or RL background), and I find them arcadish even with an XBox controller. On the other hand, using a wheel would be so awkward and would upset many users who don't own one. A horse is fine, but not in Cyberpunk obviously ;)

So walking would be perfectly fine for me, they could also implement a subway, it's quite appropriate in a city :) Or taxi drivers, after all the trend is steering away from owned vehicles in the future.

EDIT: scratch that, I hadn't watched the first video. It's not how I was imagining Cyberpunk 2077, they way they presented it does look like a GTA V rip-off. Such a shame :( Or perhaps it's humour on their part?

Last edited:
I am very much looking forward to this game (join the club, I know). The Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games and I believe that Cyberpunk 2077 will be great.

However, everything I've seen so far makes it appear as though there are almost no "down-to-earth" people in and around Night City. Almost everyone in these videos seems to either be a larger-than-life caricature or a super-powerful entity. I am good with those some amount of those types of characters, but I also want there to be "down-to-earth" people so that I can feel a sense of immersion in a realistic-seeming place.

I strongly suspect and hope that this is just due to the ad campaign and the highlight videos (some of which I have not seen), and that once we start playing the game we can feel a sense of immersion and not feel that everyone in the game is an action hero or super-villain.

In The Witcher 3 there were a good number of larger-than-life characters but also a larger number of down-to-earth folks, so hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 will be the same. Also, I have never encountered a "serious" game like this in which there were too many superstars, so it's probably just the ad campaign.

EVERY Open World game placed in a big city after 1920 will automatically share attributes with GTA. It may come as a surprise to some, but modern big cities have cars. And those cars actually move. A big city with only parked cars will be a bit of a disappointment and not being able to use cars yourself might be ok, but will also lead to concerns - especially if you have a huge area around the city where walking would be a bit boring in the end. Open Worlds pretty often contain features to move faster - in fantasy, these might be horses, in a modern open world these are pretty unavoidably cars.

So, yes, one open world game in a modern big city has stuff in common with another open world game in a modern big city. Whopieduh, what a surprise.

And no, GTA did not invent cars, big cities or open worlds.

Yet, "futuristic GTA" is arguably the best description of the game based on the videos I have seen so far.

Many seem to use GTA in a negative context on these forums. As I see it, GTA 5 is one of the best games ever made (if not the best). It may not be what I am after in games (I tend to like turnbased isometric RPGs), but purely from the graphics, feel, story and style, it was a masterpiece. If Cyberpunk 2077 will be anywhere near, it will be one of the best games ever. I have a feeling that it will be much better than GTA 5. Hence, there is nothing negative comparing it to GTA. If you are after turnbased RPGs, look elsewhere.

Coming to Stadia on the launch day. Nice. Bring it on! I am ready. Will take holiday from work to play this game. I think I will like crashing those futuristic cars into crowds by accident, getting busted by the police and dying 10 times in each shootout while trying to hit anything else than walls with that horribly difficult controller. It's all about mindset. Once I have finished the game, I can go back to relaxing mode with Wasteland 3.

The story and immersion with this game are guaranteed especially when enjoyed through a large TV and surround system alone on a farm in the middle of the dark season.

Last edited:

I'm on the same boat, the game looks impressive but I don't like it, I can only imagins how a new fantasy game from these guys would be... but considering how slow they are, I may be dead by then....

I'm on the same boat, the game looks impressive but I don't like it, I can only imagins how a new fantasy game from these guys would be… but considering how slow they are, I may be dead by then….

I am also one of these people who can't seem to get excited for this game despite being Witcher fanboy!

I love fantasy or very futuristic space faring mass effect life sci fi. I don't really like current or very close to current sci fi like this.

I am sure this will be amazing game but I am reluctant to pay full price for it.

Yet, "futuristic GTA" is arguably the best description of the game based on the videos I have seen so far.

Many seem to use GTA in a negative context on these forums. As I see it, GTA 5 is one of the best games ever made (if not the best). It may not be what I am after in games (I tend to like turnbased isometric RPGs), but purely from the graphics, feel, story and style, it was a masterpiece. If Cyberpunk 2077 will be anywhere near, it will be one of the best games ever. I have a feeling that it will be much better than GTA 5. Hence, there is nothing negative comparing it to GTA.

I do agree with largh here, and think this is a good point. I also think GTA 5 is one of the best games made and so am a little baffled when I see people acting as if their negative take is the majority opinion regarding the game.

Did developers at CD Project get influenced by GTA 5? Of course. Are some of them in the offices there fans of the game? Of course. This is human nature. GTA 5 sold like gangbusters, and got rave reviews among critics AND gamers. We humans are influenced by big impacts like this, not just in games, in any area.

Have you noticed fashionable trends? Especially young women, if you notice when going about in public, trends appear and come and go. Today there is a new trend of ripped up jeans among young women. (yes, this was an old fashion many years ago, but it is back!) I saw some examples just yesterday.

How does this happen…Well, young women are influenced by what other young women are wearing. They observe it, then go and buy it and copy it, to fit in and "be cool" and fashionable. (Not all of them, of course) You can call it the "sheep effect". This applies to all humans too, of course. We are influenced by other humans in mass, and by trends in games, movies, politics, art, communication, etc. Hell, I was born with far less of the "sheep gene" - as I call it, but I am still also influenced by it, to a degree.

Anyway, GTA 5 is something I really liked in the freedom of the game, and the core elements of it, so I am glad they are putting them in the Cyberpunk game. That said, I do think they could have gone farther in the futuristic theme, and not just had these cars which look very similar to our cars of today. They could have made the cars much more futuristic appearing in the game. That would be my only criticism of this.

Yeah, there's nowhere near enough of those. I hate that we get 50 Cyberpunk games a year and we're lucky to get one game with Dwarves, dragons or Vikings per decade.
There hasn't been a AAA fantasy WRPG since Wild Hunt in 2015. There's some upcoming ones (BG3, Avowed, Fable, Dragon Age 4) but they're a ways off.

And sure, it'd be nice to have more creative fantasy RPGs rather than yet more D&D knockoffs—alternatives are easy enough to find in the indie and literary spaces, but completely absent from AAA gaming. In the meantime, I'll take what I can get.

I don't dislike cyberpunk but I'm not particularly interested in it either. The same goes for sci fi in general. This particular bit of promotion is pretty illustrative: cars are the thing I use to get from point A to point B; I couldn't care less what they look like and would rather not use them at all (goddamn Americans and their obsession with automobiles and obnoxious city planning and terrible public transportation) so all the pictures of pretty cars fall flat for me and it annoys me that I'd have to either use them or fast travel in-game.

And sure, it'd be nice to have more creative fantasy RPGs rather than yet more D&D knockoffs—alternatives are easy enough to find in the indie and literary spaces, but completely absent from AAA gaming. In the meantime, I'll take what I can get.

Agree with you here. I would be a lot more interested in fantasy in general if 99% of it wasn't so derivative, similar and unimaginative. Morrowind isn't the best Elder Scrolls because of its systems. It's because it has by far the best and most fully realized setting of the series (or of RPGs in general). I remember when Bioware was making a big deal about the first time they had created their own world… that was Dragon Age, and though a good game that I enjoyed, it was pathetically similar to every other fantasy world.

Bottom line, I welcome variety. I happen to like the Cyberpunk genre, but that isn't really the point. RPGs have the potential to let us explore countless different worlds, but we end up getting more or less the same couple of things (Tolkien/D&D fantasy and post-apoc) over and over again. Someone complaining about Cyberpunk taking up valuable RPG release space sounds to me like a superhero fan complaining about a comic book series that isn't superheroes.

Edit: also, we can quibble about what "AAA" means, but to me Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and Divnity: Original Sin 2 all absolutely qualify in the RPG space. 2018, 2018 and 2017, respectively.

GTA:
Has no character progression. No perks, skills, attributes, none of it.
Has limited weapon variety and no other equipment whatsoever
Has and has always had terrible combat
Has no dialogue choices or other input from the player
Has a linear plot structure
Has only one way to accomplish any given mission in the game.
Has a 99% crime-centric plot with 99% crime-centric missions
Has two player activities outside of mini-games: drive and shoot (and that's what you do in a lot of the mini games too)

Being set in a city and having cars does not make Cyberpunk 2077 a GTA clone. It makes it a game with a modern urban setting. It's a lazy, lazy comparison.

Back
Top Bottom