Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Impressions @Upper Echelon Gamers

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Upper Echelon Gamers shared his impressions of Assassin's Creed Valhalla and found himself worried about the slog.

Assassins Creed Valhalla has been a roller coaster so far. The game fits into a thematic niche that I love with all my heart but the false depth, repetition and chunkiness to the combat are starting to rear their ugly head in the background. I am worried the game will fall apart and become a tedious slog, even if I am currently, thoroughly enjoying myself.
More information.

The game has some serious sound problems.
I just posted this (very mild spoiler from early game):
Sound is really weak.

I was just attending the Harald's Althing. So we have a longhouse full of vikings listening to a speach of a king unifying the clans. This should have pathos and emotion.

It sounded like a boring meeting in the office at 8am when eveyone's still half asleep.
Was this mentioned in any preview?

That may be the most pointless videogame video ever made, which is saying something. "I love the game, but I'm afraid I may one day not love the game."

The sound work is uneven. Not the voice acting, but the sound. I'm playing on headphones and the sound mix just seems off to me. Some things too quiet, some too loud. Or like the sounds were recorded indoors when they're supposed to be outdoors, things like that. It's not terrible, but it's noticeable.

I've only played a few hours, but I like the voice work here more than in Odyssey. Kassandra was great, BUT so much of the voice direction in Odyssey was over the top, exaggerated, yelling, outlandish fake Greek accents. The voice work in Valhalla (so far) is much, much more subdued. More like people actually talking to each other versus sounding like a television commercial.

One thing I've noticed with the sound is that sometimes footstep sounds (and probably others; it gets very quiet) go away after you interact with (IIRC) the skill menu. They come back within a few seconds.

But is this channel doing anything else than bashing every single game? I don't see much positive there…

C'mon. See the other threads about this game. Many people are saying they are enjoying the game ;) The rest is called criticism. Nothing in this world is perfect, not even videogames. Pointing out weak points in games is a way of discussing these games.

C'mon. See the other threads about this game. Many people are saying they are enjoying the game ;) The rest is called criticism. Nothing in this world is perfect, not even videogames. Pointing out weak points in games is a way of discussing these games.
No, I mean this specific Youtube channel, just looking at the videos uploaded there…

I'm not talking about discussions here or elsewhere, of course :)

No, I mean this specific Youtube channel, just looking at the videos uploaded there…

I'm not talking about discussions here or elsewhere, of course :)

It is a particularly silly channel, mainly about reactionary whinging.

A funny contrast, I'm re-playing Risen 1, which has quite a small world compared to contemporary open world games like AC. However, just about every nook and cranny is worth exploring. I think I prefer smaller world sizes that are more meaningful game play-wise to huge world sizes where you mostly jet through because there's nothing to do except enjoy the eye candy I guess.

Well this guy doesn't like the game either but tastes are subjective.;)

I'm angry I wasted so much time on Assassin's Creed Valhalla

I can't say I am surprised that there was some immense backlash for this particular video game review, these people are obsessed with being godless heathens.

Well this guy doesn't like the game either but tastes are subjective.;)

The first guy is "currently thoroughly enjoying" himself. He just apparently likes to project a future when he doesn't like games to go along with the games he dislikes from the off.

I won't watch the second video, but I'd like to point out that two of the three words in the thumbnail mean "long". If you don't agree with the other word (boring) then being long probably isn't a negative.

Hating things is basically a cottage industry on Youtube, and plenty of other fans do it for free. Almost none of it is critical analysis. I couldn't care less about videos like this.

My impression was that he was worried about the longetivity of the games systems, thinking he might get bored of it sooner rather than later. Thats pretty common for open world games through so a fair observation.

I dont know if I want to play this. How am I to tell if the main character is using legit Viking curses? Malaka.

(Honestly: I'll wait for the extensions before I consider it. Unless a certain other game gets another delay... )

Based on these reviews I am glad I did not buy it at full price. Sadly it looks like the previous games which are not bad but they get boring quickly so not worth paying full price .

Back
Top Bottom