Solasta - Review @ PC Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer reviewed Solasta: Crown of the Magister:

Solasta: Crown of the Magister review

Get tactical in this authentic D&D roll-player.

Whatever else Solasta may be, you can't fault its authenticity. Tactical Adventures' RPG is the truest virtual representation of a D&D ruleset since Neverwinter Nights. Armour classes, spell preparation, wincing at a bad dice-roll, it all brings back fond, occasionally agonising memories of BioWare's early games. The Fifth Edition rules form the backbone of this sprawling RPG, filled with giant, puzzle-y dungeons and challenging tactical combat. It's a decent first effort from the small French studio, albeit one that suffers from clumsy and derivative storytelling.

That story sees you control four adventurers recruited as Deputies of the Council, an organisation representing various factions across the realm of Solasta. Initially dispatched to investigate a beleaguered border fort on the frontier of the Badlands (think Mordor, but in the West rather the East), you eventually stumble upon an ancient artefact known as the Crown of the Magister. But the Crown is incomplete, missing several magical jewels that can make it powerful enough to open rifts between worlds. No prizes for guessing what your party will be doing for the next forty-ish hours.

[...]

Solasta: Crown of the Magister

Solasta's storytelling may not be up to much, but its tactical combat and accessible approach to D&D rules make it worth considering for CRPG fans.

Score: 70/100
More information.

I'm just a few hours in the game, but this score is the typical magazine BS.
Solasta is way better than that.

I agree somewhat but I believe it was released to early. By that I mean it needed more bug-fixing before it's final release. @Redglyph has been posting about these problems.

Seems that's usual for small developers when the game releases look at Legends Of Ellaria for an example. It's best to wait a few months to play most RPGs nowadays.

Last edited:
Wait 6 months and not only will your experience be a lot smoother, the game will only cost half as much.

The score rarely tells anything precise, it's a ballpark, biased estimation.

It's an OK review, even if I don't agree on everything that is written. Reviews really depend on the context in which the player puts the game, or to what it is compared. Here I think the author failed at several occasions to be in the right context (which is clearly stated by the developers). It's not a game about tons of literature, grand epic stories, gorgeous models and blockbuster-quality voices, it's about spontaneity and fun with the support of very good 5E mechanics.

Here I think the author failed at several occasions to be in the right context (which is clearly stated by the developers).

That is typical of "magazine" reviews.

BTW, I haven't encountered any bugs yet, played only after the first hotfix. Anything in particular I should be aware of?

From the review:

"Solasta's writing isn't terrible, but it is often ham-fisted and has an unusual syntax that means conversations don't flow as they should [...] The script is further undermined by the voice acting, which really is terrible. [...] the handful of available side-quests are rudimentary and feel distinctly tacked-on. "

What do you guys think about this?

Last edited:
Not very far in so i cant comment on side quests…but the voice acting is very poor and conversations do not flow well, the reviewer is spot on with that…combine this with the terrible character models the cut scenes are just aweful to look at and hear….But, there is a certain charm seeing the charcters you created talking in the cut scenes and i’ll take all the crappy presentation if it means we get to see our very own custom characters conversing. Im loving the game so far. If you just want a game for good tactical battles this is it.

A quick example in regards to character visuals...it looks like my dwarfs beard is fake and must be held on my a string around his head. It doesnt stay in place and it just sort of bounces around when he talks or moves. Hilarious but definately not top notch quality...hahahaha...

Lol, sounds funny. So I guess, the tactical parts are really fun, the story and writing is meh, some graphics and the voice acting is bad (but still inventive with the banter).

From the review:

"Solasta's writing isn't terrible, but it is often ham-fisted and has an unusual syntax that means conversations don't flow as they should […] The script is further undermined by the voice acting, which really is terrible. […] the handful of available side-quests are rudimentary and feel distinctly tacked-on. "

I think it's a fair (if negatively painted) assessment, from my point of view. All that he says is true I feel, but the strengths of the game lie elsewhere and make up for it.

That is typical of "magazine" reviews.

BTW, I haven't encountered any bugs yet, played only after the first hotfix. Anything in particular I should be aware of?
Just mind the warning in the last update (at least about the orc gear).
The rest are mainly minor bugs, you can see them in their forums. Nothing serious if you haven't encountered the crashes, overheat or performance issues that some have.

From the review:

"Solasta's writing isn't terrible, but it is often ham-fisted and has an unusual syntax that means conversations don't flow as they should […] The script is further undermined by the voice acting, which really is terrible. […] the handful of available side-quests are rudimentary and feel distinctly tacked-on. "

I somewhat disagree with the voice-acting which I find fine and realistic (I elaborated that in the article comments), except maybe a couple very minor NPCs. About the story and dialogues, just what I've said above, it goes with the style of the game so I'd say it's on purpose and the author failed to see that.

Those are not strong points either, for sure.

I have no idea about the comment on the unusual syntax & flow, he probably has a checklist of words to coin and picked a random one.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I agree with Redglyph on the voice acting - it's (surprisingly) non-bad. Even good in places.

I'm a little concerned with the levelling curve - my party is level 6 and it's pretty early in the game. Obviously it will slow down a lot given the level cap of 10, but it feels a bit too fast early on. And I am constantly wrestling with the camera a bit. But otherwise it's great fun - a nice job done with the DnD 5 mechanics.

Actually it feels quite a bit like "NWN 3" to me in many ways.

It would need to have a full campaign & story, and not just be a dungeon crawl to be NWN3. The mod tools are nice but no way compare to the NWN games either.

For what it is though it scratches the D&D itch and I hope they get more funding for a bigger game. As I would love to see a bigger game with a full campaign & story.

Also yes I never cared for The Temple of Elemental Evil it was plain boring.

I've refrained from commenting on Solasta because I don't want to poop in anyone's cornflakes. It's obvious that a lot of folks around here like it and are excited about it. It's not for me, and it's for the quoted reasons from the review (which I have not watched in its entirety). I did what I usually do when I'm on the fence about a game: I watched bits and pieces of it in some let's play videos. And to me, yes, the writing, voice acting and storytelling (including the graphical representations of characters) is of a very low standard, too low for me to have any interest in the game. The nuts and bolts mechanics aren't and never have been enough for me, and as far as I can tell, that's all that Solasta offers.

Well Game banshee liked it. Here their review.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister Review - Gamebanshee
While at times it can feel like Solasta: Crown of the Magister is trying to bite off more than it can chew, the overall experience remains enjoyable throughout this D&D-based title. The developers seem to understand what makes an RPG fun to play and they do their best to stay true to their creative vision. You add to that an opportunity to play a digital adaptation of the 5th Edition of Dungeons & Dragons, and you get a game no RPG enthusiast should overlook. This here is a new RPG from a passionate team with fresh ideas. Let's just hope that for their next project, Tactical Adventures manages to implement those ideas a bit better.

Personally, I kind of like feeling that a project maybe tried to take on a bit more than maybe it should have. At least I don't need fear some watered-down version that I'd only wind up either mocking or mourning. If they come out of the gates with something this solid, I say it bodes well for future endeavors!

I've refrained from commenting on Solasta because I don't want to poop in anyone's cornflakes. It's obvious that a lot of folks around here like it and are excited about it. It's not for me, and it's for the quoted reasons from the review (which I have not watched in its entirety). I did what I usually do when I'm on the fence about a game: I watched bits and pieces of it in some let's play videos. And to me, yes, the writing, voice acting and storytelling (including the graphical representations of characters) is of a very low standard, too low for me to have any interest in the game. The nuts and bolts mechanics aren't and never have been enough for me, and as far as I can tell, that's all that Solasta offers.

So, you haven't actually played it?

Hmm well I have played five hours then decided to wait for more patches. So I can say nothing wrong with JFarrell71's post. The game is a faithful digital tabletop adaptation.

If you want storytelling and other stuff like King-Maker & PoE look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom