SpaceWreck: postapoc space RPG inspired by Fallout

SW-random-pin-safe.gif

This "Enter random number" option is actually not just for show. There's a 1 in 10000 chance of being right, though it was hard to demo it. You'll have to trust me on this.

ThWtCXp.gif

Because "Space Wreck" takes place in, well, space, you need a spacesuit. While you are exploring huge derelict carcasses of former ships and stations, the existence of air could be sporadic at best due to the present hull damage and overall age. That's where the small gauge below the HP bar will come in handy as it indicates whether you are...

a) safe in an oxygen-rich environment (green)
b) outside but safe (yellow)
c) exposed to vacuum and suffering.

An average person supposedly can survive around 15 seconds exposed to the vacuum of outer space. In the game, it varies between 5 and half-a-minute, based on your stats.

Just curious - what's your take on this whole metagaming aspect, e.g. skill check indicators in dialogues?

I like skill check indicators turned off, otherwise it does indeed get gamey, i.e. u pick specific responses because they have giant SPEECH or STREETWISE symbols next to them. I'd rather approach it naturally and say what I feel is right than have to rely on choosing symbols because they match my character build type.

I'd rather approach it naturally and say what I feel is right than have to rely on choosing symbols because they match my character build type.

For you and like-minded players, I have added a kind of no-metagaming toggle in settings. You will be able to adjust the presentation.

jeAi8ch.gif

By the way - we just grabbed our Early Access build (planned for Feb 25) and released it Wednesday as a free demo!

This demo is more than just a demo - it is almost like a stand-alone game, intro, branching paths, secret lore, and multiple endings. You can even complete the main game's main quest in the scope of the demo.

Warning though - this is pre-early access build, so it has a fair share of bugs un issues. If you want a smoother experience, consider waiting for the original release date. There won't be a release on that date - because we released it already - but it'll be in much better shape by then.

If you still want an early taste of it, go try it now!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063540/Space_Wreck/

Just out of curiosity, what engine you are using the for the game, and why DX12 only?

Also why a 200 MB game need 8 GB of RAM (sorry I am not very versed in game coding)?

This game is an electron app. That means it is basically a Chrome browser bundled with JavaScript/HTML5 content. DX12 most likely because it needs at least Windows 10. Hypothetically Win8 also should be supported, but I haven't tested it there.

As for requirements, it is possible they are lower, however, these specs are from the slowest machine I could test before launch.

Thank you for your reply Kamaz. I was interested to trying the demo on my laptop but was a bit disappointed when I saw the DX12 requirement. I will try it on my desktop.

Actually, I see that even Windows 7 could be supported. If it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate if you could try to run it. Chances are, it works.

I can confirm that I just ran it on my 11 year old laptop (8GB RAM) with Windows 7 and the old Intel HD graphics (up to DX10). I like the aesthetics, the colour palette and the large isometric perspective.

SW-electric-exchange-3.gif

Critical hits for certain damage types can have special animations now.

Also, basic electric shots now also have some fx to clearly indicate a successful hit. Note: the character in the GIF has abnormally high FOCUS and ranged, that's why every hit is probably critical.

SW-laser-humanoid-crit.gif

"Overcharged Laser Drill - a scary makeshift rifle fashioned from a laser drill tip with safeties removed and power circuits overcharged."

Here's another final laser critical hit special animation.

In the stations and spaceships of the Space Wreck universe, magnetic soles are usually used to simulate gravity. This makes running too awkward and tricky, so, if you want to move quickly, you just fly -

SW-fly.gif

SW-rip-off-armor.gif

Weapons are more than DMG dispensers in Space Wreck. Take for example knives - if you attack someone with a blade, it shows new bonus options, like PUNCTURE and RIP. This is because knives are good for dealing with armor - PUNCTURE lets you bypass armor completely (though, with a difficulty penalty) but RIP, at cost of severely reduce damage, directly affects armor integrity - a couple of slashes and enemy is no longer protected by its shell. It is even more effective if combat happens to take place in space.

Sometimes it makes sense to bring a knife to a gunfight.

SW-after-rip.gif

Last edited:
SW-character-evaluator.gif

How you create your character will determine how you will play the game. That is why Space Academy will now evaluate your character for the position of captain beforehand!
(SPOILERS: you get the job)

Turns out the character build is really important and you have to make this decision - that will define the rest of your game - before even seeing how it works. This caused some pushback from early access players and we have adjusted the initial flow. First, there is this character evaluator, that highlights your strong suits and, also, flags the potential issues (e.g. that you cannot talk to NPCs). Secondly, you get fewer skill points in the beginning but you also get a few early quests that trigger basic interactions thus you can adjust your build slightly having experienced the game a bit.

There is some tuning to be expected but you can see this flow in action already.

SW-nu-ui-teller.gif

Say 'HELLO!' to the new user interface!

Based on the feedback from early access ("demo") players we have reworked the main user interface. Today is a small, yet probably most important part - the screenslate is now a dynamic and central part of the whole UI. In compact mode, it displays action/combat log - the same as the bottom left before (and the small screen in the isometric Fallout games). Turns out, many players do pay attention to the descriptions and feedback so it made sense to make it bigger, easier to read. Besides, much like rolling dice, a storyteller fits well with the whole pen-and-paper shtick.

And one last, but possibly a very substantial benefit of the new UI is that we save you a click - you can now open Inventory, CharSheet, ToDo directly as the screen is technically always available.

But this is just the tip of the iceberg - there is a ton of smaller changes all across the board. More on those next time, stay tuned!

SW-nu-ui-inventory.gif

As promised, new details about the new UI rework. This time - updated the inventory screen. Now utility buttons are right where you need them, there's more space for item description, and a separate tab for stats. You can even compare armor and weapons against your current loadout now.

SW-weapon-cycle-2.gif

Your equipped weapon is now represented in the bottom left corner with stats, clip size and an icon.

Back
Top Bottom