Gemeinformer reviewed the Demon's Souls Remake on the PS5:

Demon's Souls (PS5)

Demon's Souls Review - Hello Dark Souls, My Old Friend

Publisher: PlayStation Studios
Developer: Bluepoint Games
Release: November 12, 2020
Rating: Mature
Reviewed on: PlayStation 5

In 2009, FromSoftware's Demon's Souls ushered in an age of challenging action/RPGs that are defined by amazing world-building, beautiful environments, epic boss battles, and player choice. During a period when players were being inundated with lengthy tutorials and heavily guided gameplay, Demon's Souls let us explore, discover, and triumph against incredibly dangerous adversaries. Today, Bluepoint Games' remake of FromSoftware's PS3 original shows reverence and adherence to the classic while providing a whole new adventure to those who got into the series later. This new vision of Demon's Souls looks, feels, and runs like a dream.

[...]

Bluepoint serves up a scintillating remake of FromSoftware's classic.
Score: 9.25 /10
Thanks Lostforever!

More information.

This is the game I am waiting for as PS5 does not release here in UK till 19th. I never played the original so really looking forward to this on back of the souls games. Fingers crossed!

I have zero interest in this game. I find these games frustrating, not in a roguelike way just over the top hard.

I too find them very hard at the start but I think they are very fair since once you figure out the boss and execute the "dance", they are not hard at all. What even better is the feeling of "dread" they create about the world and resulting atmosphere.

Having said that I don't want all my games to be like this but maybe once or twice a year I would like to play a game like this where your adrenaline level go sky high!

It looks and plays amazing. This is the best remake I have seen so far.

I wish I was into Souls games because that does look fantastic at least from a visual standpoint.

How does the difficulty compare to Dark Souls? Is it just as hard? Harder?

I would say it's on a par with Dark Souls difficulty wise; perhaps slightly easier if you play a Sorcerer. I beat it on PS3 a few years ago. Given I played it with a controller rather than keyboard though, the experience was somewhat different.

Here's some additional info from a 2016 post of mine:

"I didn't find Demon's Souls as hard as Dark Souls to be honest but that was possibly partially because I'd played Dark Souls first and was a little more battle-hardened to the struggle of this kind of gaming experience.

I also elected to go for a Sorcerer build as my first character in Demon's' Souls but only after struggling to really get to grips with the melee system in my trial run as a hunter first. At any rate, I recommend the sorcerer to players looking for an easier time with the game.

There's a few memorable bosses. I fondly recall I had the most trouble with the likes of Maneater and Flamelurker yet with a few others, were able to conquer them with distance management the very first time. Descending through the third section of the Shrine of Storms I think it was, was also one of the tougher trials to endure."

I wish I was into Souls games because that does look fantastic at least from a visual standpoint.

How does the difficulty compare to Dark Souls? Is it just as hard? Harder?

I've started playing the PS3 version on emulator. Looks pretty dated, runs 30fps, but it's very much a souls game.

I've 100% all the Dark Souls games. Didn't quite finish Sekiro before I got distracted by something else.

I'd say Demons is a little easier, so far. I've only done the first two worlds and I'm playing as a female Royalty, who starts with a mana regen ring which would cost 60000 souls to buy, and I'm trying not to cheese it with spells. It's like magic is easy mode in demons rather than just another option. You can see how they tried to nerf magic in each game and I think it was about perfect in DS2 then sort of pointless in DS3 where the biggest weapons are king.

I think it's a bit more punishing with longer runbacks because it doesn't have bonfires to respawn at every few steps. There's moments where the camera goes behind bones and pillars and stuff in the PS3 version that I'd expect to be fixed for the PS5 version. Also, it could possibly be a bit more annoying if you run out of healing herbs and need to go buy/farm for more instead of the "estus flask" refilling. But at the same time having 30 full healing herbs when you enter a boss fight instead of max 10 estus charges is pretty OP.

Seems like a pretty good game, anyway. I really liked the first world though the second was pretty bland with a few zombies and some annoyingly well armored beatles that are tedious to kill.

If you didn't like Souls games because they were too hard I'd say roll a Royalty and cheese the whole thing and you should be fine.

I finally got my PS5 on Thursday and been playing Demon's Souls. Only spent about 15 hours so far but really liking it. It looks really amazing and feels next gen. The combat is fun but I think trash mobs are easier than Dark Souls 3 trash but the 2 bosses I fought so far are harder. Another thing is there is save spots are far apart than DS3 meaning if you die, you have to run longer but its kind of fine as the trash is lot easier so the 2nd run does not take that long.

Not all "trash" are easier, there are some harder trash all around and some of them you can't even kill (unless you are really skilled). Usually they are guarding something but you can to come back to them later when you are stronger etc.

Once again I am loving the atmosphere, there is this constant feeling of danger all around and your every steps matter. You really feel that you are in this demon infested world. When you see the the save spot in the distance, its gives you very euphoric feeling!

It no AC Valhalla where four Viking raiders capture a single lone woman and talk to her nicely or where you raid and pillage a settlement humanely...

Back
Top Bottom