|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout 76 - Will Have Private Servers

Default Fallout 76 - Will Have Private Servers

August 12th, 2018, 13:13
PC Gamer reports that Fallout 76 will have private servers but it looks like they will be online only.

Will Fallout 76 get private servers?

Yes! At QuakeCon 2018 on August 11, game director Todd Howard confirmed again that private servers are part of the plan. "That is definitely something that we are doing. We are committed to it. It's not just having a private server, it's being able to mod it," he said in a Q&A panel. "It's something that, given the online nature of it, is going to be very, very complicated, but we're committed to it and we've been starting to design what that system is going to look like. It's a complicated problem but one that we're one-hundred-percent committed to solving."

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

August 12th, 2018, 13:17
Buy a mmo then invest additional tons of $ to server it because it's too expensive for the publisher.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

August 12th, 2018, 13:44
That's a bit harsh. I dont like this MMO approach to Fallout. But if they have to do a MMO, private servers with mods are actually a very nice thing.

Cacheperl

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 12th, 2018, 14:15
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Buy a mmo then invest additional tons of $ to server it because it's too expensive for the publisher.
Or subscribe to a streamer who will use the money given by his subscribers to buy and operate servers dedicated to his subscribers.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

August 12th, 2018, 14:30
Subscribe?
I'd cut off my hands first.

I mean, since when to play games one needs to join Jehovah's Witnesses and then get buggered with the nonsense.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

August 12th, 2018, 17:10
Not surprised but wish they went the Conan route with private servers.

Basically you host your own but hey they want total control I get it.

Still doesn't bother me as I'm not interested in playing.
--
"Troll Make Internet Mad, Troll Like Anger, Troll wants people as miserable as Troll"

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

Grumpy Old Troll

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

August 12th, 2018, 18:38
Complicated? If it is 'complicated' it is only because of your business objectives.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 12th, 2018, 18:52
Offline Single Player Games are going to die out.
--
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

August 12th, 2018, 19:46
I disagree, I believe they will always be new ones coming out. Even if it does happen, at least we have many that will never require any online garbage to deal with simply to play them.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

August 12th, 2018, 20:21
They might die out from major publishers but I suspect they will never die out; just too large of a market for single player games; also multi-player - at least today - is not really cost effective for small developers - esp when you consider the 'long term' viability of the game. After all your server (service) (whether it be 'in-house' or cloud based); has to be kept running 24/7.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 12th, 2018, 22:26
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I don't think I'll live to see that. Neither will you.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

August 13th, 2018, 00:16
Or is this going to be more like Neverwinter Nights model?

mesmeris

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 13th, 2018, 00:47
Originally Posted by mesmeris View Post
Or is this going to be more like Neverwinter Nights model?
We can dream - but I suspect FOO7-6 will be more like Star Trek Online
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 13th, 2018, 01:07
Private servers sounds like best case scenario to me. Better than full mmo.

If I can host a private game with just my friends and family then I’m good. I don’t care if it’s on thier server vs local.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

August 13th, 2018, 08:31
I doubt I'll go with a private server. It's clear that they're going out of their way to prevent griefing - and I like the tension of never knowing exactly what will happen.

Then again, how about a Watch private server? I can imagine quite a few people who would greatly enjoy griefing good old Darth

But it depends - and the best part of private servers is the potential to mod the hell out of your game - as you see fit.

If the game plays anything like Fallout 4 - it's going to be a blast to play with friends.

I'm still very curious about the loot system. Fallout 4 was "almost-great" with the legendary stuff - but it didn't have quite enough variety there. Armor was also a little underwhelming, I found.

I hope they realise the importance of variety with FO76 and a perpetual online experience.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

August 13th, 2018, 11:40
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
I doubt I'll go with a private server. It's clear that they're going out of their way to prevent griefing - and I like the tension of never knowing exactly what will happen.
Its the sign of times we live in, cuddle millennials and all that! Any form of human interaction is bound to have both positive and negative outcomes and thats what makes it fun. If you remove all possibility of negative outcomes, then the whole thing becomes shallow and meaningless. This attitude is ruining the whole MMO, multiplayer scene etc.

I hope people will learn that the only way to appreciate the highs in your life is to experience the lows as well.

/rant over

lostforever

SasqWatch

+1:

August 13th, 2018, 11:48
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Its the sign of times we live in, cuddle millennials and all that! Any form of human interaction is bound to have both positive and negative outcomes and thats what makes it fun. If you remove all possibility of negative outcomes, then the whole thing becomes shallow and meaningless. This attitude is ruining the whole MMO, multiplayer scene etc.

I hope people will learn that the only way to appreciate the highs in your life is to experience the lows as well.

/rant over
Well, yes and no. The problem with games is that they're so prone to exploits - and most people usually play them as a form of escape, and not to experience the harsh nature of real life when they get home from work.

Also, there are people who don't have 12 hours to play and practice every single day - and I don't think it's fair to ignore them, since they're also paying to play the game.

If you're making a game for the wider audience, including casual and mainstream gamers - you sort of have to cater to players of all kinds.

That said, there are many ways to approach this challenge.

I kinda like the way WoW is going to do it with the new expansion. They're going to let people opt into PvP when they're in the capital city - and then they EXCLUSIVELY encounter people who have also opted into PvP.

If FO76 did something similar, then maybe they could have more interesting PvP mechanics and consequences.

But, again, with private servers you can probably mod this however you want. I'm sure we'll be seeing hardcore servers with full loot PvP - if that's the kind of thing you're into.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

August 13th, 2018, 12:37
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
Well, yes and no. The problem with games is that they're so prone to exploits - and most people usually play them as a form of escape, and not to experience the harsh nature of real life when they get home from work.

Also, there are people who don't have 12 hours to play and practice every single day - and I don't think it's fair to ignore them, since they're also paying to play the game.

If you're making a game for the wider audience, including casual and mainstream gamers - you sort of have to cater to players of all kinds.

That said, there are many ways to approach this challenge.

I kinda like the way WoW is going to do it with the new expansion. They're going to let people opt into PvP when they're in the capital city - and then they EXCLUSIVELY encounter people who have also opted into PvP.

If FO76 did something similar, then maybe they could have more interesting PvP mechanics and consequences.

But, again, with private servers you can probably mod this however you want. I'm sure we'll be seeing hardcore servers with full loot PvP - if that's the kind of thing you're into.
I agree with what you are saying and mine was a rant! However you don't have to be good at PvP or spend hours and hours to enjoy the competitive social multiplayer aspect.

I suck at PvP and I don't even practice to improve my PvP skills. In ESO, I go to random battleground as Tank, this means I can't really kill anyone but it also means it takes lot of time for other people to kill me since i can heal and block till forever. This comes in very handy for those capture and hold the flag games or even defend your relic etc. I know I am going there to die but I also know that even with my limited PvP skill sets, I can really annoy the opposition. This is fun because its game with really zero real life consequence.

I find people these days lack this "fuck it" attitude, if its PvP, they have to win else it sucks and they do everything in their power to stay away from it. Its their choice but I feel that they are missing out, thats all

lostforever

SasqWatch

August 13th, 2018, 19:19
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
No. They will stay up with the main sales argument as offline single player. This is how they are going to be marketed. Release a generic product whose main features are poverty in everything game related and offline SP, it sells. Devs are not going to bypass opportunities like that.
Less work, same or more money.
Better than porting console designed products to the PC.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

August 13th, 2018, 23:33
Having private servers opens a lot of possibilities depending on how customizable everything actually is.
Will it be possible to have full conversions to run on a server? This could spawn persistent worlds of difrerent settings.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: -

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout 76 - Will Have Private Servers