The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

And now for something completely different...

How about a solid live version of a fun little tune. Mark Hollis is an odd duck, but he can make awesome music.
"Does Caroline Know?" by Talk Talk

I have been digging 'The Evolution of the Dark Side of the Moog' by Klaus Schulze, Pete Namlook and Bill Laswell. Amazing synth use (Moog, duh). I have the whole 10-CD collection, but generally stick with the 'evolution', which is a single CD sampler from the first 8 albums. Cool stuff ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuqNA0YqVVg

Holy mother of cats, I just snagged tickets to see Jonathan Richman for fifteen freaking bucks at the Bottom of the Hill. It's a tiny club -- I'm gonna be twenty feet away from him max.

On the other hand, I haven't actually seen or heard Jonathan Richman for many years. Is he still cool? Is he even still alive? Is this maybe a different Jonathan Richman?

Never mind I don't care it's gonna be awesome!

In the first bar they were
drinkin' sips
But in this bar they could
shake their hips
In the first bar they were drinkin' sips
But in this bar they could shake their hips

When exercising I (like many others) listen to music. Now I'm going through older parts ofg my library.

Here's:

Despite not being a Mark II song, it's the one I like best from them.

pibbur who did not marry anyone's daughter, but the daughter of a banker.

Despite not being a Mark II song, it's the one I like best from them.

pibbur who did not marry anyone's daughter, but the daughter of a banker.

That gig was before I was born, but I also love Child in Time. Partly because it was on the soundtrack to Breaking the Waves, which must be one of the greatest soundtracks to one of my favourite films.

I would have liked to have been that age in that era. The music seemed much more exciting and original at that time. I'd be a lot happier with Led Zeppelin and David Bowie in the charts, and when records had to be sought out and prized, I think it would have made it seem more special.

I would have liked to have been that age in that era.
Maybe, but then you would be 60 now. :)
The music seemed much more exciting and original at that time. I'd be a lot happier with Led Zeppelin and David Bowie in the charts, and when records had to be sought out and prized, I think it would have made it seem more special.

I remember back in 1980, just after Pink Floyd released The Wall, I was in a used record shop, and in came a 14-year-oldish boy, with an album he wanted to sell. There were cows on the cover, and I immediately recognized none other than "Atom Heart Mother" by none other than the very same Pink Floyd.

"You haven't played that one more than once", I said to him. "No". So, despite it's - IMO - one of the weaker PF albums, I was happy to buy a completely pristine edition, at a very pleasant price.

I'm pretty sure he became a fan of PF based on The Wall, and then he discovered, "hey, this band has been around for years" and bought the AHM album, which is a bit different from TW.

pibbur whose favourite PF album is Animals.

For some strange reason, the first Pinkie album I got hold of was 'A Great Collection of Dance Songs' - a peculiar compilation album that featured slightly different versions of songs, to get around some wrangle with a record label. It's not very well regarded, but I loved it, and wore it out.

I would have liked to have been that age in that era. The music seemed much more exciting and original at that time. I'd be a lot happier with Led Zeppelin and David Bowie in the charts, and when records had to be sought out and prized, I think it would have made it seem more special.
In terms of music, I prefer living in today's world instead of the old days. Not because of what the current music industry spits out, which I don't care for anyway, but because in the age of internet we have access to virtually all music and it is relatively easy to explore and find new music. (I don't mean "new" in a temporal sense but in the sense of "not heard before").

When I was younger, I went regurlarly to the local library where they had many CDs for rent and that had been a valuable source for exploration. Despite the enjoyment of the involved activities, possibly leading to a higher appreciation of the obtained goods because of scarcity and effort, I wouldn't trade it for the convenience and efficiency we have today.

Calling the mighty Pink Floyd "Pinkie"? You gotra be crazy…..:)

Pibbur who at 60 definitely has reached childhood's end.

That was the popular nickname in the darkened dens where we teenagers used to gather and share music. It does lack the proper reverence.

Back
Top Bottom