Realms Beyond - Combat Alpha Video

The combat reminds a lot of Temple of Elemental Evil, which has some of the best D&D combat to date (in my opinion, in any case its actually much closer to D&D rules then Baldur's Gate). TOEE suffered in comparison to the infinity engine games in terms of story, character, atmosphere, graphics, voice acting, and most other criteria, so I hope Realms Beyond will also tell a good story and give us memorable characters and locations.

Great video I'm looking forward to this game more and more. Loved ToEE and the goldbox games so I'm excited.

giphy.gif

Looks great to me, even the slow speed. :)

Only thing that bothers me is the text. Any chance of getting an option to increase the font size or scale the UI or something?

Only thing that bothers me is the text. Any chance of getting an option to increase the font size or scale the UI or something?

Did you watch the video in 1080p?

Otherwise, the font becomes very small because I captured it in full HD.

But at some point during the development, we'll add another UI resolution when implementing the 4k support.

Font looks great here on the 27" 1920x1200 monitor I'm on atm, but the "baby's first font" giganto fonts you usually see on the games ported over from consoles are a pet peeve of mine anyway.

This looks fantastic. This is precisely the type of game I am interested in. Party-based/skirmish-sized, tactical turn-based fantasy RPG. (I'm getting ready to restart Avernum: EFtP by Spiderweb Software today.)

I don't care for RTwP, though I did finish the first Pillars of Eternity.

I like playing Warhammer: Age of Sigmar, I want that similar tabletop strategy thing going.

I like D&D/Pathfinder with minis and squares/hexes. I'm that type of player.

I like the UI as it is, so far. Spell effects are cool. I love the scrolling actions, flavor text, and stats window. I like the slow pacing. I like the slowish fireball. I like the hexes displayed. If there is an option, I will have them on. I like the spell description window on the left, and the way the spells icons are displayed, as needed, on the right.

I liked the game on FB. I'll keep an eye out for a Kickstarter or Steam Early Access.

Last edited:
Well, hearing comparisons to Gold Box games and Temple of Elemental Evil just makes me even more eager for this game. I hope they put the funds in the right place, less on audio or high end graphics, and way more story/content. I like a game that takes weeks to get through.

I find this game more exciting than anything big publishers shown at E3 this year :)

CHEESE?

Look, if I wasnt mean to kill Drizzt or Elminster, they should not have given them 2 lootable swords and godly armor :)

I *might* have killed Drizzt purely by accident every time I came across him, but I never thought of trying Elminster. Darn.

Last edited:
I *might* have killed Drizzt purely by accident every time I came across him, but I never thought of trying Elminster. Darn.

Drizzt had such a beautiful death cry in BG I loved it when I massacred him. Telling the crime to our fans on our gaming news website - at the time Baldurs Gate was the biggest new RPG released - incited an uproar. "How could you murder Drizzt in cold blood??! Aaaarrgghh... " :D I loved, how people were whining about it. :D

Drizzt had such a beautiful death cry in BG I loved it when I massacred him. Telling the crime to our fans on our gaming news website - at the time Baldurs Gate was the biggest new RPG released - incited an uproar. "How could you murder Drizzt in cold blood??! Aaaarrgghh… " :D I loved, how people were whining about it. :D

How could you not? Those swords were godly in that game :)

I admit, I love the Drizzt character in the books.

In the BG game with such a minor role I didn't even feel bad.

Only found out about this game recently, thank @daveyd; :)

Very interested!! Hope to see more updates soon.

Very interesting combat preview. I also like the understated look of the colors, more realistic looking.
The combat log seems well done. One weird thing is how many misses were happening in the melee combat, both sides were not connecting on many strikes. That Cave Troll was especially bad, and looked as if he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn! :) Not sure if that is intended, because he is a huge physical mass, and I can see some logic for other characters being able to dodge/avoid his big lumbering attacks more easily.

One concern (or bonus! depending upon how much you like the combat) is how long the combat was taking. By the time the video ended, it was nearing half an hour of playing that particular combat encounter, and the Cave Troll was still alive and kickin'! It just makes me wonder if every combat encounter will be so lengthy, what, bigger fights could take an hour? Or two? Whoa. That's double-edged for sure… If you love the combat ( and I'm the type who loves this type of combat) then awesome, but if you don't, then that kind of time spent in every combat encounter could get tedious fairly quickly.

Anyway, thumbs up, overall, from me! Very much looking like a detailed, intricate and fun combat system! :biggrin:

Looks great...so when can we buy?

Very interesting combat preview. I also like the understated look of the colors, more realistic looking.
The combat log seems well done. One weird thing is how many misses were happening in the melee combat, both sides were not connecting on many strikes. That Cave Troll was especially bad, and looked as if he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn! :) Not sure if that is intended, because he is a huge physical mass, and I can see some logic for other characters being able to dodge/avoid his big lumbering attacks more easily.

One concern (or bonus! depending upon how much you like the combat) is how long the combat was taking. By the time the video ended, it was nearing half an hour of playing that particular combat encounter, and the Cave Troll was still alive and kickin'! It just makes me wonder if every combat encounter will be so lengthy, what, bigger fights could take an hour? Or two? Whoa. That's double-edged for sure… If you love the combat ( and I'm the type who loves this type of combat) then awesome, but if you don't, then that kind of time spent in every combat encounter could get tedious fairly quickly.

Anyway, thumbs up, overall, from me! Very much looking like a detailed, intricate and fun combat system! :biggrin:
Devs said that combat encounter was put together fast for the purpose of the video. He also said they fucked up some of the characters and gave them wrong armor or weapons. Like one of the characters had a heavy armor but not proficiency for that armor so it has a big penalty on all to hit rolls (reason why enemies could not hit him and he could not hit enemies). And the halfling in the back had a plain non magical crossbow which made it so he did insignificant damage during the fight.

Also the enemies were all brute type of opponent that have lots of HP and hit stuff in melee (except for that one shaman).

Back
Top Bottom