Upgrading CPU to Ryzen 2700x

Yep. And I'll add my Emu 1212m soundcard and various sata HDDs. I'll have them install it then. Thanks for all the help.

Good deal, hope you enjoy your new system. Sounds like you’ll be putting it to good use.

All this talk has me itching to get started on my next build. Already bought the new case and will be switching my water cooling tubing to petg hard tubing. Should look awesome.

My new case

Good deal, hope you enjoy your new system. Sounds like you’ll be putting it to good use.

All this talk has me itching to get started on my next build. Already bought the new case and will be switching my water cooling tubing to petg hard tubing. Should look awesome.

My new case

That's a case?! That does look awesome. What's your GPU now?

That's a case?! That does look awesome. What's your GPU now?

Titan x ( pascal)

I’ll probably be getting a 2080ti though and give the titan x to one of my sons. There’s leaks of an RTX Titan though so I’ll have to see what that’s all about first.

Titan x ( pascal)

I’ll probably be getting a 2080ti though and give the titan x to one of my sons. There’s leaks of an RTX Titan though so I’ll have to see what that’s all about first.

Beastly.

It might be that some strategy games become fully multi-core aware but you mostly play fps and rpg and those games aren't going to benefit from 16 cores; I believe that fps mostly use the gpu for 'multi-core' rendering. Also these many core cpu have lower peak clock rate (single core performance). Make sure your builder does a good job on the thermals.

Seems that VR relies on a strong single thread/core or whatever, but future games obviously will get more complex. The benchmarks you provided are pretty close, it's a tough decision for $150. I can add another SSD instead strictly for games but can't really add both as it's slightly above my current budget. An M.2 SSD at that (whatever that is, I assume it's good :p).

m.2 is not an interface it is a form factor. You can get sata and nvme m.2 drives. Most nvme drives are faster but many builders end up using sata m.2 cards so check carefully.
--
The link you provided above indicated they use a WD blue drive which is almost certainly sata.

Well if it’s 7900 and as ssd or 9900 and no ssd, I’d go 7900. Yes, m.2 is about 4-5 times faster than a standard ssd.

I have my os on an m.2 ssd and put all my games on Sata ssd’s.

If you have a valid license; you can download the os from MS. If you don't have a license windows have a utility to do a full backup onto any drive (include usb).

I don't have it on a USB stick. Should I just buy one and how do I then transfer it to the USB stick (and how many GB stick do I need?) If it's too much of a hassle I'll just have them add Windows 10 for $100 to make things easy, unless I can save some money doing it the USB stick way (I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 when it was free, so not sure if I can install it again).

m.2 is not an interface it is a form factor. You can get sata and nvme m.2 drives. Most nvme drives are faster but many builders end up using sata m.2 cards so check carefully.
--
The link you provided above indicated they use a WD blue drive which is almost certainly sata.

Did you quote the wrong person? I know the difference between m.2 and sata. I’ve installed several of both. Also I didn’t provide any link for ssd.

Hey TheRealFluent! I do tons of video encoding, modeling, texturing, and 2D/3D rendering at the professional level nearly every day and am currently building my own system. I have been building my own rigs for at least the last twenty years, and I highly recommend it. You’ll get much more for your money, and it’s incredibly easy to do.

1. I always start with a big case. I have the room in my office and it makes the buildout so much easier. Like working under the hood of a 60s muscle car vs working under the hood of a 2019 Accord. Lots of room for upgrades and no worries about having to squeeze anything in or subpar airflow. I am using a Lian Li full aluminum tower. This is a carryover from my last build. All fans and all that are already in place.
2. PSU - got myself a Corsair 750. Will run a couple of current video cards in SLI (though I personally only use one) and all the other stuff without breaking a sweat. Also a carryover from my last build.
3. Your GTX 1080 will be good to carry over into this build.
4. I like the i9-9900 CPU. I’m a core whore because of my work, and this has 8 of em.
5. Getting an ASUS Rog Maximus 1151 MB. I’ll be getting 64 gigs of RAM for now. Most gamers won’t need more than 16 at the moment, but I need it for work and it won’t hurt as games get more demanding over the years.
5. Getting 4 of Corsair’s 16 GB DDR4 sticks for RAM. 8 GB sticks are less expensive, so get those if you don’t need 64 GB in your machine.
6. If you already have the drives you want, I wouldn’t worry about upgrading. Storage is cheap and cloud-based solutions are great for daily backups. I’m getting one more 1TB SSD just because I swap to drive a lot with work.
7. A top-notch monitor is paramount for me, and generally where I’ll blow my budget. I won’t give a recommendation here because my needs are so specific and finicky. Anything 4K with good reviews on Amazon should do you right.
8. Don’t forget a CPU cooler. I’m going with a cooler master air cooler. I don’t mess with liquid cooling though I know lots of people do.

Good luck no matter what you decide upon! Building a rig just takes a few hours including basic software installation, so I am partial to the DIY method, but buying pre-built is great if you’re not comfortable under the hood.

Not at all; you said m.2 is faster which is not generically true. I then pointed out that the build fluent had chosen is using a sata drive in the m.2 slot.

Did you quote the wrong person? I know the difference between m.2 and sata. I’ve installed several of both. Also I didn’t provide any link for ssd.

Not at all; you said m.2 is faster which is not generically true. I then pointed out that the build fluent had chosen is using a sata drive in the m.2 slot.

Technically true. That’s my bad as I just assumed he was using an nvme drive because there’s no reason to tie up PCIe lanes just to use a sata drive.

You just confused me because you said I posted a link to an ssd, which I did not.

Here's what I've kind of decided on (might tweak it a little but this seems like the one I'll go with):

Computer Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390 GAMING LGA1151/ Intel Z390/ DDR4/ Quad-GPU CrossFireX & Quad-GPU SLI/ SATA3&USB3.1/ M.2/ A&GbE/ ATX
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake Processor 3.6GHz 8.0GT/s 12MB LGA 1151 CPU
CPU Cooling Fan: Corsair Hydro Series H50-60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory: 16GB Hyper-X DDR4-2800/3000
M.2 SSD: 500GB WD M.2 2280 Internal SSD Solid State Drive
Video card: GTX 1080ti
Sound Card: Emu 1212m
Network Card: 100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)
Operating System: MS Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Warranty: Assembled and tested, 3 years parts and 3 Year labor warranty

And I have to pop in another 250gb SSD and 3 or 4 other regular HDDs and I'll be set. Question @sakichop;, what will happen with my current SSD that has Windows 10 installed when I add it as a secondary drive on the new computer? Will I just be able to see all my files and that's it, or is there something special I have to do to get rid of Win 10 on it?

Also, would it hurt to pop in an 8gb 1333hz RAM stick to give me 24gb total? Or will that slow down the 3000hz RAM?

You should see the data on the old disk; BUT installed programs won't show up as install as the registry won't have references to them. This might not be a big deal to steam (don't know); but standard install/remove stuff won't work.
-
It is very important for performance that ddr4 be maintained in pairs (dual channel). Given how ddr4 works i'm amazed they don't just prohibit single sticks - but yea the performance will have hicks when the single stick is hit - the other pair should still maintain full performance.
-
My only other comment on your build is it is a bit more than 2x (cost) than my gaming pc but I don't do vr and I limit myself to 1440p monitors (no 4k for a while - mostly i don't like monitors large enough to support 4k).
-
Conversely I use 4 or 5 computers at a time so whatever works for you works for you - i know what works for myself.

Here's what I've kind of decided on (might tweak it a little but this seems like the one I'll go with):

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390 GAMING LGA1151/ Intel Z390/ DDR4/ Quad-GPU CrossFireX & Quad-GPU SLI/ SATA3&USB3.1/ M.2/ A&GbE/ ATX
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake Processor 3.6GHz 8.0GT/s 12MB LGA 1151 CPU

And I have to pop in another 250gb SSD and 3 or 4 other regular HDDs and I'll be set. Question @sakichop;, what will happen with my current SSD that has Windows 10 installed when I add it as a secondary drive on the new computer? Will I just be able to see all my files and that's it, or is there something special I have to do to get rid of Win 10 on it?

Also, would it hurt to pop in an 8gb 1333hz RAM stick to give me 24gb total? Or will that slow down the 3000hz RAM?

You should see the data on the old disk; BUT installed programs won't show up as install as the registry won't have references to them. This might not be a big deal to steam (don't know); but standard install/remove stuff won't work.
-
It is very important for performance that ddr4 be maintained in pairs (dual channel). Given how ddr4 works i'm amazed they don't just prohibit single sticks - but yea the performance will have hicks when the single stick is hit - the other pair should still maintain full performance.
-
My only other comment on your build is it is a bit more than 2x (cost) than my gaming pc but I don't do vr and I limit myself to 1440p monitors (no 4k for a while - mostly i don't like monitors large enough to support 4k).
-
Conversely I use 4 or 5 computers at a time so whatever works for you works for you - i know what works for myself.

I have a 1080p 144hz monitor at the moment, and plan to upgrade it eventually with 4K. I also will be doing a lot of VR with mods, Skyrim and Fallout mostly, but others, too, especially Skyrim though. And I would like to be future-proofed for awhile since I can afford it and have an option to do so now. So when games get more complex I'll be somewhat ready, and could always slip another 1080ti in for SLI or just upgrade the core 1080ti as well. Everything else should be ready to go. Thanks for the response.

FYI: In general the concept of 'future proof' is a fallacy. Things simply change too quickly to predict how the world of computers will look 5 years from now.
-
I will say that over the past 5 years the only major changes have been more cores, faster cpu and little processors that run amazingly fast (phones). Some would argue that efficiency and ddr4 are notable but whatever. Having said that a gaming computer from 9 years ago was fine with an upgrade of the gpu for myself so maybe things won't change that much...

I have a 1080p 144hz monitor at the moment, and plan to upgrade it eventually with 4K. I also will be doing a lot of VR with mods, Skyrim and Fallout mostly, but others, too, especially Skyrim though. And I would like to be future-proofed for awhile since I can afford it and have an option to do so now. So when games get more complex I'll be somewhat ready, and could always slip another 1080ti in for SLI or just upgrade the core 1080ti as well. Everything else should be ready to go. Thanks for the response.

Sorry fluent, haven’t been around. I see ‘you’ answered your question though so good deal. Just reformat the old windows drive and then you can put whatever you want on it.

Sorry fluent, haven’t been around. I see ‘you’ answered your question though so good deal. Just reformat the old windows drive and then you can put whatever you want on it.

So I have to reformat it? I'd like to keep the files at least even if they won't open programs anymore...

Also, how do you like the build? Do you think it's solid for about $1500? (Remember some parts are already mine.)

So I have to reformat it? I'd like to keep the files at least even if they won't open programs anymore…

Also, how do you like the build? Do you think it's solid for about $1500? (Remember some parts are already mine.)

No you don’t have to reformat it but you’ll have that extra copy of Windows and I’m sure other stuff you don’t need taking up space. If there’s files you want off it I just transfer them to another drive then reformat it to get rid of the stuff you don’t need. That’s obviously up to you though you could just keep it as it is if you want.

I think it’s a great build very similar to my next build but I’m upgrading my gpu as well so I can give my current card to my son. If he didn’t need a card I’d probably wait until the next generation of video cards to upgrade.

No you don’t have to reformat it but you’ll have that extra copy of Windows and I’m sure other stuff you don’t need taking up space. If there’s files you want off it I just transfer them to another drive then reformat it to get rid of the stuff you don’t need. That’s obviously up to you though you could just keep it as it is if you want.

I think it’s a great build very similar to my next build but I’m upgrading my gpu as well so I can give my current card to my son. If he didn’t need a card I’d probably wait until the next generation of video cards to upgrade.

Cool, thanks for your input. Rather than go through the hassle of moving files, I'll leave it as-is, since a fresh 500gb should be plenty as I already have several TBs of normal HDD storage. I don't mind keeping the current SSD as-is.

I picked up my VR kit, it will be here Friday, so I just have to wait on the PC to arrive and I'll be all set. Hopefully VR takes off even more and we get better and better games for it. I know I'll eventually have to upgrade that 1080ti but hopefully I can squeeze some juice out of it for a heavily modded Skyrim VR run. Thanks again for your and you's help throughout the thread. Appreciate it fellas.

Back
Top Bottom