Monomyth - Steam Page Up - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Monomyth - Steam Page Up

Default Monomyth - Steam Page Up

November 26th, 2018, 10:48
Monomyth is a first person dungeon crawler being worked on by one person and releasing sometime in 2019. The game now has a Steam page.

loading…

As the sun sets on the empires of mankind and civilization crumbles under great storms ravaging the world's surface, the people of Ariath retreat to the underground.
Amidst the chaos of this dying world, you are sent to the fallen fortress city of Lysandria to retrieve a sacred object. In the ruins of the city's clerical district stands an unremarkable chapel, holding a seemingly plain stone.

It is that stone your contractor wants, but the fortress is not as deserted as it seems…

KEY FEATURES

An action packed first person RPG
Swing your sword, cast spells, dodge, parry and block. In MONOMYTH you move freely over the battlefield, using a rich arsenal of deadly weapons and powerful magic.

A living, breathing world
Within the ruins of Lysandria you will find a highly interactive environment, filled with items, puzzles, monsters and a variety of peaceful inhabitants. Talk to characters using a detailed keyword-based dialogue system and combine items to interact with your surroundings in interesting and explorative ways. Trade, pick locks, break doors, disarm traps or throw objects! You can even bake bread!

Free character development
In MONOMYTH you are free to develop your character in any way you want. Invest into eight different character attributes unlocking dozens of different playstyles. Will you be a nimble assassin, a dreadful battle mage, or maybe something completely different? The choice is all yours!

Open-ended level design
Lysandria is a vast, interconnected environment. Seamlessly wander from the highest towers to the lowest caverns, find secret chambers, uncover hidden passageways and explore a multitude of differently themed areas. All without loading screens!

Unique setting
Set in an apocalyptic fantasy world, MONOMYTH combines magic and technology into a new, unique setting. Open the gates to a dark, mysterious realm, beset by horrifying monstrosities and discover the secrets of the fortress city of Lysandria.
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
+1:

November 26th, 2018, 10:49
I'm a sucker for first-person RPG's. I really hope this turns out well!

Giovanni1983

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 26th, 2018, 12:14
I do wonder why they had chosen the name "Monomyth" : Monomyth

The term itself encampasses so much more than just … dungeon crawlers.

I just fear that younger generations will react like "… You mean … the dungeon crawler ?" when people refer to let's say the monomyth of / within Homer's works, for example Telemachos.
I just fear that titles like that are simply distorting knowledge.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

November 26th, 2018, 12:18
Yeah this looks impressive, nicely dark and atmospheric. My only concern is that the scope looks pretty big for a one man team - I hope it works out. If it does, I imagine I'll be spending a whole heap of time exploring Lysandria!

Pongo

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

November 26th, 2018, 12:27
Looks very nice and thought why there is no news of a Grimrock 3 yet
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

November 26th, 2018, 12:32
Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
Looks very nice and thought why there is no news of a Grimrock 3 yet
There has been news of Grimrock 3 though it is bad news… i.e. there will never be a Grimrock 3. Almost Human basically went bankrupt on Grimrock 2. The two main guys and a couple of the others are now working on Druidstone.

My first thought is there must be more than one person working on this! Unless that one person is a superhuman. Very rare to get somebody who can do artwork/textures, animations and code the entire engine. Maybe outsourced the textures etc?
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
+1:

November 26th, 2018, 12:39
So if this turns out good it would beg the question how a small startup can make a game like this while an experience developer makes a game like underworld ascent….

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

November 26th, 2018, 15:30
I haven't met many dungeon crawlers that I didn't enjoy, and I really like what I read about character development, so I'll be keeping an eye on this one for sure.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

November 26th, 2018, 15:36
The King's Field style logo in the page brings back memories?
Originally Posted by you View Post
So if this turns out good it would beg the question how a small startup can make a game like this while an experience developer makes a game like underworld ascent?.
I guess it depends on the case. Sometimes, big name folks fall into coverconfidence as they can either eventually bounce back from a failed project or are near retirement. When you're just a no-name, there is a bit more pressure, and some use it to constantly revise their game.

Big Wargle

Watcher

November 27th, 2018, 01:07
Looks aren't everything. We'll have to see how well it plays.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

November 27th, 2018, 01:40
Isn’t this the one where the creator said his puzzles would be fairly difficult?
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 27th, 2018, 03:05
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
There has been news of Grimrock 3 though it is bad news? i.e. there will never be a Grimrock 3. Almost Human basically went bankrupt on Grimrock 2. The two main guys and a couple of the others are now working on Druidstone.

My first thought is there must be more than one person working on this! Unless that one person is a superhuman. Very rare to get somebody who can do artwork/textures, animations and code the entire engine. Maybe outsourced the textures etc?
They have never said that. They took a break to do Druidstone. They have stated they are planning to do LOG 3. It is true though that LOG2 did not sell as well as LOG1

johnnysd

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

November 27th, 2018, 08:04
Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
They have never said that. They took a break to do Druidstone. They have stated they are planning to do LOG 3. It is true though that LOG2 did not sell as well as LOG1
Okay I stand corrected. I would love a LOG3 but it seems unlikely at this stage.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

November 27th, 2018, 14:41
I wish they would make a LOG3! This one looks very interesting and hopefully will be better than Underworld Descending.

rooroosta

Watchdog

+1:

November 27th, 2018, 19:56
After super-awesome Dark Messiah of Might & Magic .. Nope, making comparison would be unfair.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

November 29th, 2018, 01:42
Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
That's disappointing - I thought LOG2 was far better.

Caidh

Watchdog

November 29th, 2018, 01:58
I preferred the first over the second myself, but both are great games and well worth playing. Maybe after they complete this current project we'll get a third iteration in the series!!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Monomyth - Steam Page Up