|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kingmaker - Review and Interview

Default Kingmaker - Review and Interview

October 12th, 2018, 23:37
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
Yeah, that seems to be a common opinion on the forums, I simply can't understand why. The character building was so poor and the whole system felt like it belonged in a MMO… It could be I'm coloured by the "mistake" of playing on hard where enemies simply had a lot more HP.

The story and presentation were really good though, but not enough for me to replay it.
While DA:O was good, for the most part I found PoE to be much better. Tastes vary. I didn't like character building in either though. PoE2 is a huge improvement in terms of character building. Hopefully they'll stick with that design for PoE3.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

October 13th, 2018, 00:30
For me my game order is probably DAO>POE2>POE1>Kingmaker. But that really isn't a blow against Kingmaker as I think all 4 are great games and a lot of fun. But I found POE to be very refreshing and different as far as history, abilities, story … was just something new. I also rather liked the game style and the characters. POE2 was the same just smoother and seemed more polished.

Kingmaker is simply a fun good game that is enjoyable. But hasn't captured me like others I think in part for reasons I have brought up in other threads. All about taste and what one likes in the end.

I put it on hold till more patches come out to fix later parts of the game. Working on a new play through in FO4 and also enjoying ACO right now. Also waiting for some more patches for Insomnia Ark, which has stellar visuals and story but can be buggy still.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

October 13th, 2018, 02:37
Taste vary indeed! For me it's Kingmaker >>> DA:O > PoE1. Again, hoping PoE2 will be ahead of DA:O.

Btw @TomRon, how far are you in with PoE2? Curious about your impression so far
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

October 13th, 2018, 08:14
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Taste vary indeed! For me it's Kingmaker >>> DA:O > PoE1. Again, hoping PoE2 will be ahead of DA:O.

Btw @TomRon, how far are you in with PoE2? Curious about your impression so far
I would say roughly 20 hours into the game, total playtime of about 30 hours but I rerolled my guy 7-8 hours into my first run because I wasn't quite satisfied with my class choice.

Currently on hold because I wanted to try BT4, which was great fun for a while but now I'm thankfully getting close to the end so I intend to finish and get back to PoE2.

My impressions so far with PoE2 though:

Pros:
- Multiclassing! Making already fun character building better.
- Humour. The setting off the first game was kind of really depressing (the hollowborn stories were heart breaking to me). The setting is perhaps equally dark this time, but it doesn't FEEL that way because of a more colourful world and much more entertaining party banter.
- Looks good
- Plays good (few bugs, I have seen none)
- Custom AI for party members. Takes fiddling to get the most out of but itvis a godsend to be able to have all your guys autobuff the way you want.
- Writing
- Multiple solutions to quests affecting the outcome
- Exploration is fun
- Level Scaling is adjustable to what you prefer.
- Good UI
- Loads of quests
- Decent loot mechanics
- Decent crafting (I don't like crafting but it's convenient enough in PoE2 for me to enjoy it)

Neutral:
- Per encounter abilities instead of per rest. Feels…different. I like rest and pacing your resources to matter. On the other hand this feels like a better solution than in the first game.
- Each class has their own "resource", that governs special abilities for that class. So if you multi class you have two different pools. It's an interesting take and it actually works, with higher level abilities costing more of your pool.

Con:
- Ship combat is not very interesting
- Combat can still get confusing with all those spells and abilities flying around…
- A bit on the easy side playing on normal
- Kind of overwhelming.
- … there's probably a lot more bad stuff but I can't think of any right now…
Last edited by TomRon; October 13th, 2018 at 08:42.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

October 13th, 2018, 15:24
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
Con:
- Kind of overwhelming.
Why overwhelming?? Too many quests?
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

October 13th, 2018, 15:36
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Why overwhelming?? Too many quests?
I would like to know also as I still haven't played PoE II.

Though I do notice a lot of these games through to many quests at you.

It can easily get overwhelming when you have ten or more quests to finish.
--
"One Vision. One Purpose. Peace Through Power."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kingmaker - Review and Interview