Mass Effect: Andromeda - Combat P1

You got that backward. Each game has improved combat over the precedent one.

Mass Effect 1 as probably the worst implementation of cover shooting ever made. Not only is it bugged like hell, it's awfully clunky to use too. It has like 2 enemy types - humanoids that attack at a distance and stuff that rush you (rachni, husk, creepers) - and shooting your pistol is the fastest way to kill anything in the game regardless of class. I replayed it twice last Fall.

ME2 is an improvement in term of usability, but still a bit clunky (Vanguard charge and squad-mate abilities targeting is finicky). It adds more variety in term of enemy types forcing you to use your class abilities to strip defenses or switch ammo/weapons and offer more individuality to classes. ME3 is a polished version of ME2 systems with more class individuality and a few more enemy types (like centurion and banshee).

The squad AI is dumb like a brick in all the games.

MEA, going by the video, is build on ME3 with a new cover system, more melee options (it was class based in ME3) and a jetpack for more mobility and a vertical tactical option. I'm not sure what you call a downgrade among that.

Wouldn't say, in every respect, but they got better overall. With ME I Biotics physics were better, (or at least more believable), than shoot a blue magic ball out of your hand. Liked also stamina dependant sprint, more run and gun approach, sniper rifle requiring more skill and few enemy types, like those jumping Geth.
ME II was more Gears of War inspired and improved shooting/cover mechanics, improved classes/weapons, was overall faster, more polished, with better controls and targeting systems.
But was too much pin to cover and wait for enemy to show it's head in reg intervals. And without good flanking AI and fast shield/health reg...
Also, didn't like added magic powers...fire/freeze/etc ammo... too gimmicky. Vanguard was a rush though, 6 sec cooldown was timed just right to let you escape death by an inch...if you're good, or get killed otherwise.
ME III expanded on it and made it more open without being fully restricted to cover. But Imo, cooldowns were way, way too low...it removed the When? to use powers to simply spam...ruining classes like Vanguard( even if pulling Nova's were a blast).
This seems overall the best, jetpack a great addition...pulling up in the air and shooting seems crazy fun and open world with obstructions allows lot more freedom in approach.
With some improvements in gunplay, AI and animations, could be one of the best TPS out there.

You got that backward. Each game has improved combat over the precedent one.

Mass Effect 1 as probably the worst implementation of cover shooting ever made. Not only is it bugged like hell, it's awfully clunky to use too. It has like 2 enemy types - humanoids that attack at a distance and stuff that rush you (rachni, husk, creepers) - and shooting your pistol is the fastest way to kill anything in the game regardless of class. I replayed it twice last Fall.

ME2 is an improvement in term of usability, but still a bit clunky (Vanguard charge and squad-mate abilities targeting is finicky). It adds more variety in term of enemy types forcing you to use your class abilities to strip defenses or switch ammo/weapons and offer more individuality to classes. ME3 is a polished version of ME2 systems with more class individuality and a few more enemy types (like centurion and banshee).

The squad AI is dumb like a brick in all the games.

MEA, going by the video, is build on ME3 with a new cover system, more melee options (it was class based in ME3) and a jetpack for more mobility and a vertical tactical option. I'm not sure what you call a downgrade among that.

You are clearly quite confused. ME 1 had by far the best combat. ME 2 is a big downgrade. ME 3 was even worse plus it introduced that multiplayer abomination. MEA has jetpacks and a focus on headshots. You can't get much shittier than that in combat unless you go full retard and SOULS it up.

Pause is only for switching weapons or using a consumable.

Sigh yet another abomination. Ideally combat would be turn based, which is the only proper RPG combat style, but if it isn't at least give us a pause to issue orders to the squad.

Sigh yet another abomination. Ideally combat would be turn based, which is the only proper RPG combat style, but if it isn't at least give us a pause to issue orders to the squad.

It's a FPS what have you expected?

Well it's decent; lots of combat variety at least, and the jet pack adds a nice vertical element. I would like to be able to hop on top of anything though, and it didn't look like the PC could do that.

Well lets see we once again have the…Usual BioWare Rants.:lol:

As usual joking aside I have long accepted the Mass Effect series is more of an FPS/RPG hybrid, and I know what to expect when buying a new sequel instead of ranting.

To simplify I like the combat, and the story that goes along with it.:cool:

The love-hate Mass Effect drama continues. My impression is that the general consensus is that those games were never quite the games RPGers wanted them to be but they tried so hard and you all tried so hard to like them. But I'm just guessing. Never played myself. Just go replay Gothic 2 or Dishonored or Fallout New Vegas or Ultima 7 or Skyrim or Eschalon Book 2 or your Witcher game of choice and be done with it. :)

Jesus H Christ, BioWare really is the devil in here eh?

I thought it looked fantastic, apart from the seemingly dumb enemy AI…hopefully that's just a easy setting thing though, hopefully.

It is supposed to be a RPG.

So if a RPG has good combat (it looks frakking good), then it gets it's RPG card revoked?

You are clearly quite confused. ME 1 had by far the best combat. ME 2 is a big downgrade. ME 3 was even worse plus it introduced that multiplayer abomination. MEA has jetpacks and a focus on headshots. You can't get much shittier than that in combat unless you go full retard and SOULS it up.

This is like Fluent's diabolical twin who sees everything from negative perspective. ;)

The combat looks alright. It's what I expected, maybe a bit better, actually. It's not lightning-fast, which I think is a good thing. It may require tactics, and hopefully harder difficulties require more thought and actually using different skills and what not. Saw lots of skills to invest in, too, which is cool.

I dunno. I think overall it looks alright but I'm not really a Mass Effect guy. The first game was pretty good but I haven't played the rest and if I do play Andromeda, it likely won't be for a long time after release.

Jesus H Christ, BioWare really is the devil in here eh?

I thought it looked fantastic, apart from the seemingly dumb enemy AI…hopefully that's just a easy setting thing though, hopefully.

So if a RPG has good combat (it looks frakking good), then it gets it's RPG card revoked?

umm, did you watch that video. Combat was nearly dark souls horrible. Really wretched.

I'm not a Mass Effect fan. Played about 10 hours of the first and haven't played any since. Never really did it for me as an RPG or a shooter.

I have to say I thought the video looked good. If the game moves more into the FPS with RPG elements camp that will be a good thing for me personally and I will give it a try. I can see how fans of the originals could be upset with that change though.

Combat looked like it was done, and then some guy in marketing said "it needs to be faster". It looked like I was watching the video at 125% speed. Like, it looked unnaturally fast.

ME:A looks good if you are into action combat and exploration. I am into tactical combat that is not dependent on player skill so not my cup of tea but good on others who like that sort of thing.

I think the party dynamics will not have depth due to the need for cinematic presentation and voice acting but the story will be high fidelity popcorn stuff. Good casual fun.

Only thing that really bugs me is that you're limited to 3 active combat skills. :(

Apart from that I'm quite open to an kind of combat. I like both slow turn based in iso view and fast paced in 3rd or 1st person.

Only thing that really bugs me is that you're limited to 3 active combat skills. :(

Apart from that I'm quite open to an kind of combat. I like both slow turn based in iso view and fast paced in 3rd or 1st person.

I guess if that is true (the 3 active combat skills) it was done to remove the need for tactical pause…I mean, with so few skills, you only need 3 keys mapped and can probably operate quickly enough, esp. with a controller. I have to say, though, that I *really* hate this kind of thing - which seems to be an "RPG" trend over the last few years, where you have a fake 'load out' which limits which of your (painfully acquired) skills you can use (along with a BS explanation for why it is thus). Usually its - imho at any rate - an issue with the usability of the controller mapping (so just ditch PC UI basically) e.g. original DA:O where I had all my skills mapped on tabs on my screen vs DA:I where I had a max of 8 . Sadly many games are now doing this.

Since ME 2, the products were playable real time.

Yeah, I can't remember using it much. Only once in a while to give orders to companions, and then more for fun than actual need.

I think this looks good, I've come to like the ME games for what they are instead of bashing them for what they are not.

Looks pretty good. Similar to ME3, which is a good thing. I'm still not thrilled by the whole class system though, as it appears to be a bit too fluid for me. For example: If you're a biotic, you're a biotic. If you're something of a tech wiz, you're a tech wiz. I don't mind the ability to choose different skills/spells/weapons within a class, but swapping around certain things that represent the very core of a character is a bit much.

Back
Top Bottom