Phoenix Point - Exploration Video

A key selling point for me is the promise of a meaningful strategic layer, which I greatly missed in the recent X-Com games.

Here's hoping they succeed in delivering it.

A key selling point for me is the promise of a meaningful strategic layer, which I greatly missed in the recent X-Com games.

Here's hoping they succeed in delivering it.

I don't think so.
There will be no interception of Alien Vessels and it's seems that everything else was in the latest X-Com already.

I don't think so.
There will be no interception of Alien Vessels and it's seems that everything else was in the latest X-Com already.

That's a shame, I was hoping for some kind of interception mechanic. Oh well.

I'm not a fan if the drab colour palette, but that's not a game breaker either.

I don't think so.
Why do you need interceptions ?

Instead you will have alien attacks on different stronholds of different factions or you will be doing scavenging sites where you will fight aliens. These are not that much different than intercepting stuff and then doing that mission.

And latest Xcom didn't have dynamic geoscape, everything was scripted. Xcom 2 less than Xcom 1 but still pretty scripted.

I liked doing the interceptions as well and missed them. Not a deal breaker, but a wishlist item.

Does the story contain anything that would be logical to intercept? I thought the enemies were crawling out of the ocean, not flying around in UFOs.

Does the story contain anything that would be logical to intercept? I thought the enemies were crawling out of the ocean, not flying around in UFOs.

Well, as far as I know they have larger mutants running around, you could intercept them. Or develop craft for exploring the oceans and fighting larger mutants there. The possibilities are certainly there within the lore.

Well, I always liked the idea of the interceptions more than the execution. As I recall, there was a specific setting that would win the vast majority of fights - so it was more or less automatic.

As long as they give me reasons to explore the map - which would seem to be the case, because I've seen plenty of stuff to find and reveal around the world map - I think there's an incentive to focus on the strategic layer.

I've also noticed the game has a bunch of resources to find in that way, which is just the kind of thing that makes strategy an interesting part of the formula.

I can't imagine Gollop didn't do a few more things with this - and that's certainly better than the super simplistic board-game approach of the modern X-Coms.

What always appealed to me about the interceptions was the idea that there were these mysterious UFOs flying over head and only by shooting them down could you see what was inside and recover any surviving technology. The actual interceptions themselves were always kind of boring, but investigating the crash sites was very cool. I'm not sure if just killing some giant monster would have the same appeal, at least to me.

I think the core formula will be very similar here. You might not actually shoot UFOs down - but I'm positive you'll get to explore a variety of alien buildings and what not.

I know there's a similar Reseach system, where you get to study alien technology and such, so I'd be surprised if you couldn't do most of what you could in the original X-Com.

Probably, they've expanded upon most of the features.

Excactly, the interceptions themselves weren't much fun in xcom, but the fact you could shoot down UFO's and that it had an impact on the game was extremely rewarding. The game felt alive instead of in the rails.

I actually enjoyed the interceptions in Xenonauts more.

We'll see what the game has in store for us.

I've heard that the aliens will mutate and evolve over the course of the game, in response to how the player deals with them in combat. It sounds neat to have such a dynamic and responsive AI - where you can't get away with always using the same tactics.

Well, in theory - anyway.

Again, I've tried staying away from development for the most part - so I don't really know what to expect.

But, based on the few videos I've seen - the game looks great (definitely on par with modern X-Coms), and the tactical layer seems like an evolution of what we've seen before.

AFAIK, there's going to be proper destructible environments as well, which is something I've always loved about the original games.

I wasn't thrilled when I heard about the enemies getting harder because you do well, but not if you perform poorly. Sounded like annoying scaling where you get a break for playing bad or get punished for smart play. I do not however have a problem with the enemy evolving and mutating to counter the tactics you're using, if you keep loosing I suppose they have no reason to change. So I'm less concerned about the issue now than I was originally, but of course that comes down to implementation.

I think the idea is just that they adapt. If you don't do well, you'll probably just die :)

Of course, such a feature is probably very hard to get right - and I wouldn't expect miracles.

But, I think it's a very immersive and fitting approach to increasing challenge. If it's about smarter enemies and more appropriate responses, then that's wonderful.

If it's just about more hitpoints and damage - then it's boring and not at all what I would prefer.

My guess is that they'll probably evolve some kind of natural defense against whatever weapons you're using the most. Say, if you keep sniping them from a distance - they might develop some kind of shield for that - and potentially try to close the distance fast, or whatever.

But, again, we'll see.

Just got a mail telling me I get all the DLC for free, because I'm backer.

Didn't expect that, so that's nice.

BTW, it turns out the DLC 3 is supposed to include an Interception mode, for the people asking for it.

I guess the smart thing would be to wait until all DLC is out - as I doubt I'll bother replaying it.

I almost never do these days.

If the release version is fun I am sure to play it more than once. I usually do with Xcom like games.

Back
Top Bottom