Bard's Tale IV - The Bard Draws Near

Thinking a game from 1985 didn't age well doesn't make me a mainstream gamer.

I like CRPGs, but preferably with sound and a story that doesn't require a manual.

Now I know you're trolling. The game features a user-selectable soundtrack with associated in-game party buffs. The remaster even has different recorded tracks for each song depending on the instrument equipped by your bard. No sound?

The remaster also does not come with a manual, the guild leader tells you that Mangar has conquered Skara Brae and it's up to you to take him out. That's it, no cut scenes, no NPCs with long expositions, no romances, etc. The story is the gameplay, exploring the town and dungeons.

This type of CRPG is obviously not your preference, and that's fine, but to call the game bad and to claim that those of us who still enjoy it in "current year" only playing due to nostalgia is foolish and naive. FWIW, I only briefly played BTII in the 90s; I am playing BT1 for the first time now and loving it.

When I signed up I wrote that one of the reasons was to add +1 to oldschool RPGDot people instead of the troll army like Silver Coin , Couchpotato (you quoted me in another thread, stated I didn't read your posts, I did, but where IRRELEVANT dude) and others..

Really, if RPGs are not your thing, go back to mainstream gaming or even console publications and stay there…

I would understand anyone saying maybe Ultima 1-3, or maybe Wizardry 1-5 were good for their time but not anymore.. But anyone arguing Bard's Tale is not a great RPG experience, especially today when you don't need to map, is completely clueless about the genre and should stick to the latest Action-RPG (which is otherwise a goooood genre)…
Yes and we call gamers like you RPG Elitists and thanks I'll enjoy my Action-RPG's.

So sayeth the Troll apparently.

Couchpotato a troll? Never crossed my mind.

pibbur who may pay too much and at the same time too little attention.

Last edited:
The old Bard's Tale games have that addictive cRPG hook lacking in many modern cRPGs that are much prettier and have better UIs. I made a thread about this here on the Watch a while back <<<shameless plug here>>>. The Cliff's notes version is well balanced and incremental character progression (stats, gear, abilities) that carries with it a lot of meaning in the game world. Much like some old black and white movies are great to this day if you can look past their age, some old cRPGs remain similarly great.

I was about to post the same thing, only it felt weird defending Couch without defending SC, and I haven't made up my mind about SC yet…

If Couchpotato is trying to be a troll he's awfully bad at it.

Last edited:

pibbur who may pay too much and at the same time too little attention.
I was about to post the same thing, only it felt weird defending Couch without defending SC, since I haven't made up my mind about SC yet…

If Couchpotato is trying to be a troll he's awfully bad at it.
I've been called many things on this forum. Let's see idiot, man-child, troll, spam link poster the list goes on on and on. Doesn't bother me but hey fake outrage get posts.

I picked my current avatar because it looks better then old jaded gamer.:)

I used to dislike Couch. Don't recall why. I think we're cut from the same jaded cloth these days though.
:hug:
Yeah I remember can't recall why either as that was many years ago.:thinking:
Anyway high five back at ya.:party:

Don't challenge the troll army. It controls all the bridges. And eats babies.

Baby cows and pigs, mostly.

Well you can give them a fish and they go away, at least they did in Monkey Island 1, or maybe a treasure as in King's Quest 1... And I think at least some versions of the original Adventure had a troll also.. We kinda need them as long as they don't flood the place with trollish behaviour.

Couch is selectively a troll - like most of us. He likes to pretend he doesn't really mean what he says - but that's bullshit ;)

Pib might be a rare exception - as he's clearly terrified of saying something "edgy" ;)

Silver Coin just happens to select the troll-vibe more often. Not sure why he bothers, as he doesn't seem to enjoy it that much.

It's that thing where you invest yourself so much that you can't abide a difference of opinion without getting upset.

It's a buy for me, but I lack funds. Taxes are due soon so my focus is there. Still, I'll play this as soon as I can, since I like InXile's games a lot. Should be a good one with the first-person town exploration, etc..

I think the only time I ever got into it with Couch was the Godzilla movie (2014). But I'm a huge Godzilla fan and may go crazy when someone says something bad about old lizard breath. ;)

I think the only time I ever got into it with Couch was the Godzilla movie (2014). But I'm a huge Godzilla fan and may go crazy when someone says something bad about old lizard breath. ;)

Big fan here, too. Grew up with 'em. Got to the point we tracked down nearly every one ever made. Took a torrent or two, but eh, whattyagonnado? :)

I think the term "troll" is a bit overused. I don't think every time someone decides to go against the grain and be bit a contrarian and provocative, that it makes sense to call it trolling. I think it's even possible to be a bit stuck in that mode, without necessarily being a troll, which to me means someone playing a very strange game, where the primary purpose is to cause upset and discord.

It takes a while for someone to establish themselves as a troll, in my mind.

Well, Fluent, don't forget I owe you a game since Aledorn may never release. Just say the word, dude.

Well, Fluent, don't forget I owe you a game since Aledorn may never release. Just say the word, dude.

You're awesome, 'nut! Right now I'm good on games as I just picked up FFXV and LA Noire and they will keep me busy for awhile but I will keep that in mind. Thank you! :)

Now, if any of you have a spare 1080ti you'd like to sell, I'd be a buyer. I'm looking at picking one up on Ebay soon so I can play the newer games at higher settings. Not saying I want a free one, that would be absurd, but once I sell some things of my own I can afford to buy one. I know this isn't the right thread for it but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone is upgrading to the new cards soon and had a 1080ti they wanted to sell.

You're awesome, 'nut! Right now I'm good on games as I just picked up FFXV and LA Noire and they will keep me busy for awhile but I will keep that in mind. Thank you! :)

Now, if any of you have a spare 1080ti you'd like to sell, I'd be a buyer. I'm looking at picking one up on Ebay soon so I can play the newer games at higher settings. Not saying I want a free one, that would be absurd, but once I sell some things of my own I can afford to buy one. I know this isn't the right thread for it but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone is upgrading to the new cards soon and had a 1080ti they wanted to sell.

Why a 1080ti? a 1070 is MUCH cheaper and works perfectly fine.

Why a 1080ti? a 1070 is MUCH cheaper and works perfectly fine.

Well I heard they are going to drop in price when the new cards come out soon. That and if I'm going to upgrade I might as well go as high as I can afford. I can get a used one on Ebay for around $400 which is my max budget, plus sell my GTX 970 for a couple hundred possibly. I'd like to play games like FFXV and GTA V and more on max settings rather than having to turn down some stuff. It's been years since I upgraded so that was my thinking on that. I have a new monitor and want to test it a bit. :)

Still don't like it sorry just my personal opinion. Thought Kong: Skull Island the second movie was better. We might see a Godzilla vs King Kong according to a wiki listing.
The first installment was Godzilla (2014), a reboot of the Godzilla franchise, which was followed by Kong: Skull Island (2017), a reboot of the King Kong franchise. The next film to be released will be Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019), followed by Godzilla vs. Kong (2020).The first installment was Godzilla (2014), a reboot of the Godzilla franchise, which was followed by Kong: Skull Island (2017), a reboot of the King Kong franchise. The next film to be released will be Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019), followed by Godzilla vs. Kong (2020).
Maybe I'll like Godzilla: King of the Monsters if it focuses more on the monster not humans. Again just my opinion not bashing anyone who liked the film.

Back
Top Bottom