RPGWatch Feature - Game of the Decade 2010-2019

I personally felt ME2 was decent fun, but much more of an Action game with a good story than what I want from an RPG. I actually felt it was a step down from the first game in that regard, although I still found ME2 more fun overall. But it didn't get any votes from me in the same manner games I enjoyed a lot more didn't (like XCOM), it doesn't fit my personal view of what I expect from the title "RPG".

So I promised to chime in at the end of the voting thread, and the way you feel about Mass Effect 2, is the way I feel about the Witcher 3, which is IMO far and away the best entry in the series, especially the fantastic Blood and Wine expansion. But I'm playing Far Cry: Primal now and just don't feel that the Witcher 3 is much more of an rpg, unless a well told story and quest design makes a good rpg. Geralt is Geralt and mechanically he pretty much does everything he can do from the beginning on and that stays the same no matter how you tweek him. The only big difference I saw is if you invest enough in the Axii rune to be able to persuade in conversation. Still a very good game, just in my mind an action game with wonderful graphics and a good story, but not much of an rpg. I also don't think of X-com as much of an rpg either, though, even though it also a great game. But I'm willing to accept that I'm in the minority with my opinions.

Last edited:
I also don't think of X-com as much of an rpg either, though, even though it also a great game. But I'm willing to accept that I'm in the minority with my opinions.
I love XCOM2 (play time: 672 hours), I don't think it's a RPG either.

I've played 39. By which I mean "I have played some of but not necessarily all of" 39 of these games. I have also in a couple of cases played a game that is not on this list, but which is nearly identical in appeal and nature to a game that IS on this list (like a different Kings Bounty game and the second Grimrock game)

Just as an exercise, my placement of my top 20 compared to the aggregated results:

1 -> 1
2 -> 2ish
3 -> 18ish
4 -> 18ish
5 -> 5ish
6 -> not in top 50
7 -> 2ish
8 -> 8
9 -> 18ish
10 -> 13ish
11 -> 13ish
12 -> 24ish
13 -> not in top 50
14 -> not in top 50
15 -> not in top 50
16 -> 29ish
17 -> 5ish
18 -> not in top 50
19 -> not in top 50
20 -> not in top 50

Last edited:
@forgottenlor;, in that case I think you are at least part of a pretty large minority. I agree wholeheartedly with both your opinions on W3 and Xcom.

There must be something wrong with me. I tried playing W3 3-4 times but just couldn't get into it. I felt like I was watching a movie and then once the game finally started I'd quit after 5-10 minutes. I guess I'll try one more time....I really respect the views of the people on this site and it was easily number one on this list.

I only played the 30 games that were crpgs, but I have no strong issues with the voting either. My list by hours played on Steam:

1. Skyrim 2000+
2. 7 Days to Die 1060
3. Fallout 4 682
4. Fallout New Vegas 469
5. The Long Dark 453
6. Two Worlds Two 434
7. UnderRail 394
8. No Man's Sky 393 (This would have taken 2nd in my voting if this was all games)
9. Oblivion 384: note I had over 600 in the GFWL version, iirc.
10. Grim Dawn 309

Last edited:
I haven´t started to play KcD until now but I think I would have included it in my list if I had

Bit sad that there wasn´t more friends of Stick of Truth but I can understand that it isn´t everyones cup of tea

Anyway good list and good work lackblogger

By the way would love to play Enderal but my Skyrim isn´t a steam skyrim so I can´t

Thanks for the excellent work, @lackblogger; :)

I have only played 15 of the 50, though I own 36. I clearly suck at this lack the time to have an informed opinion about top anything. (also why I didn't participate)
I have only played 3 in the… err… top 13, and they all seem good candidates. The only ones that I would have pushed down the list are the Mass Effect games (which I think are rather overrated in many aspects) and Dark Souls (because I suck at it :p).

Good work, lackblogger!

I had some of the deepest heartfelt moments I've ever experience in a videogame with Mass Effect 2

Also a heartfelt moment for me in Mass Effect 2, when I found I was deliberately avoiding one of the crew and because I felt so ashamed & embarrassed at a choice I made.

The winning list reflects many of my votes though I would not have put any money on Witcher 3 winning. Thanks to Lack for doing this.

By the way would love to play Enderal but my Skyrim isn´t a steam skyrim so I can´t

Then you get some Steam Skyrim. It is a bit tricky getting the right skyrim version. It cost 20 bucks but it is not easily assessible through steam/

Skyrim Classic or Skyrim Legendary Edition (32 bit)

The easiest way to get to the steam store page is through the Enderal FAX. Item #3 has a link to the steam store page.

this might work:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/72850/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim/

Thanks for all the hard work Lackblogger and for the Watch for hosting this event.

I'm proud to say I own 25 of the games on the list.
I'm a bit embarrassed to report that although I have Fallout/NV, steam shows that I have never played it.:blush:

I think someone gifted it to me and I accepted and forgot about it.

I have played 48 of the 50. The ones I didn't are ATOM RPG and Lords of Xulima.
Though I haven't finished Battle Brothers, King's Bounty: Crossworlds, Underrail, Blackguards, Grim Dawn and Darkest Dungeon, and I doubt I ever will. Too many games in my backlog.

I have only played 15 of the 50, though I own 36. I clearly suck at this lack the time to have an informed opinion about top anything. (also why I didn't participate)
I have only played 3 in the… err… top 13, and they all seem good candidates. The only ones that I would have pushed down the list are the Mass Effect games (which I think are rather overrated in many aspects) and Dark Souls (because I suck at it :p).

Good work, lackblogger!

Thanks, but I'm afraid I have harsh words for you...

What an absurd reason for not voting! Good God, man, but you've played more of the top 50 than I have and yet not only did I vote, but I made the whole damn list as well. Hey, maybe if you'd bothered to vote for your list then some of the games you played that didn't make the list would have made the list and then, shock and horror, you'd have played even more of the top 50!

*exasperated facepalming*

I think that was a suggestion in the voters thread. Gamelength is of course useless, but the amount of time spent with it surely must be correlated with quality.

Perhaps divide steam playing time by average how long to beat to correct for shorter games (score <1 if unfinished). I suspect Skyrim will still have a score of +89 for the nut :)

Back
Top Bottom