Deus Ex: The Fall - Augmenting Mobile

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Shacknews has a small preview of the mobile game Deus Ex: The Fall.
The game utilizes a dual thumbstick format common in adaptations of console-style games like this. There are other touch commands, however: players can also tap the screen to sprint to a wall for cover, or walk up to characters to interact for a bit more fluid experience. Combat is similar: tap an enemy to fire or sneak up behind them to take them down. An interface appears on either side of the screen, allowing a simple tap to access inventory to swap out weapons or augments, and update messages.

N-Fusion certainly captured the look of Human Revolution, with some areas looking on par with the console game on the iPad mini used for the demo. It definitely had the right futuristic feel of the universe, and solid voice acting added to immersion. It was rather simple to get around guards and avoid some confrontations, and others playing the demo were able to play through areas differently than I did. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to try the hacking or explore too much because of a couple lockups and some unresponsive controls, but the game seems to be accomplishing its goal of delivering a Deus Ex experience.

Dugas said Eidos Montreal sees The Fall as the first chapter in a new storyline in the Deus Ex universe for mobile. He didn't rule out the possibility of bringing the title to other platforms, but he qualified it saying "we'll have to see how successful this is."

The game will cost $6.99 for iOS when it launches this summer. It is also confirmed for Android, but no release window was revealed.
More information.

God... stop reporting on this monstrosity...

God… stop reporting on this monstrosity…
I wont just for the fact people love to hate on things just because they don't want it. There are some people on this site that are interested.

Let me give some polite advice if you don't like the story don't read and comment. ;) Just move on I do it all the time on other sites.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I have no interest in this once great series being changed to an iPad game (probably with microtransactions left & right).

That being said, its still an RPG and the Watch's coverage of games is still welcome. Some here may love the original series and also tablet gaming so there is some crossover. We don't have to like every game being covered (nor should we expect to).

Thanks Couch,

I paid for the original Deus Ex twice. When it frist came out it would not run on my rig. I returned the game (you could do that back then) and ended getting Deus Ex along with Grim Fandango about a year and a half later. After finishing Deus Ex the game went into my top 5 games of all time. Never finished the first sequel and loved the latest Deus Ex H.R.

I started my hard core gaming on an Apple 2 so I can never totally hate on the Apple. And to my great surprise I found I could do a lot of good stuff on the Ipad. But when I started exploring the games that were out there, the IPad1 was not up to snuff for all the latest games. Yes, Touch screen gaming is not a good as mouse/keyboard. But for me neither are game controllers.

So yeah, I look forward to an IOS Deus Ex. I look forward to a graphic novel Deus Ex. I look forward to a Sy-fy original mini series Deus Ex. I look forward to a breakfast cereal Deus EX. I look forward to Deus Ex on the Oculus Rift. I look forward to the Watch looking forward to a future versions of Deus Ex . . . nah that's crazy

The reality is that there is massive Apple hate and condescension here at the Watch, which is fine - I mean, most of us are PC gamers first, just as we are RPG lovers who are not fans of much of what has happened to our favored genre in the name of 'console mainstreaming'.

But the reality is that there is *exactly ONE* growth area for games - tablets/smartphones. Therefore, in the interest of money you can expect this trend to continue. Another reality is that the primary casualty is consoles & handhelds - look what iOS & Android did to the casual games market on the Wii and DS!

I just hope that we finally get some really awesome RPGs for the platform ... there have been plenty of 'good' ones, but even most of those are better described as 'good, but ...' games. And from early previews about the control compromises in FPS mode, it looks like we are seeing the same thing here.

One growth area?

I'm not sure I follow. These things wax and wane all the time - and trends change like day becomes night. There's plenty of growth in both PC gaming and console gaming - and the next generation is just around the corner, and it's still uncertain what will happen then. So, I don't agree with your reality.

I don't think there's a "massive" hate for Apple in particular - but for tablet and smartphone games, which is only natural considering how much attention they're getting as utterly inferior platforms for the kind of games we enjoy.

When greed provokes waste - it's not a nice thing to behold.

Also, I don't agree there's been even a SINGLE good RPG that can compare to any good PC RPG. Except, of course, the ports of 10-15 year old games that we played back in the day. At its very best - we have something like Avadon, which is a very primitive game, technically. A game that could have happened 20 years ago and looked much the same.

So, once they release a SINGLE RPG/strategy/action game that can REMOTELY compare to a similar example on PC and which isn't a port - I'll start taking it seriously as a gaming alternative.

Until then, a game like Deus Ex: The Fail - is just another example of how tablet/smartphone games are hurting our beloved industry by wasting precious development resources on worthless cash-grabs.

One growth area?

So, I don't agree with your reality.

You don't have to agree ... it is a simple matter of numbers. Look over the last few years - console sales numbers down, handheld sales numbers down, overall gaming industry down. And yet for iOS and Android, the growth since 2008 has been >75% every year, to the point that even with the average price of a game being <$2, the share of market has gone from marginal to a huge percentage, dominating handhelds over the last several months and capturing an increasing amount of the total market.

I mean ... in 2012 the traditional video game market was down 22%. Yet iOS and Android were up ~80-100%.

There is a difference between 'current reality' and 'future trends'. We can debate where things will be next week, next month or next year.

Also, I don't agree there's been even a SINGLE good RPG that can compare to any good PC RPG.

Not sure we disagree, as we have discussed - my whole point is that there are some good games. Whether KotOR is better on PC has absolutely no bearing on whether it is enjoyable on iPad. That question is solely based on the iPad experience.

There is a larger question we have talked about wherein we wonder when we will get an iPad-only game that we look at and say ... wow, that is just one epic RPG that will diminish on porting elsewhere. And in the current context of gameplay I cant' see a path to that game.

These things wax and wane all the time - and trends change like day becomes night.

And to further prove your point - does anyone remember the massive hand-wringing over Dragon Quest IX being released as a Nintendo DS exclusive? A large point was made that since the DS was the biggest selling console of all time, and how handheld games were selling so well and were stronger compared to consoles than at any time in history, that it only made sense ...

:)

You don't have to agree … it is a simple matter of numbers. Look over the last few years - console sales numbers down, handheld sales numbers down, overall gaming industry down. And yet for iOS and Android, the growth since 2008 has been >75% every year, to the point that even with the average price of a game being <$2, the share of market has gone from marginal to a huge percentage, dominating handhelds over the last several months and capturing an increasing amount of the total market.

I mean … in 2012 the traditional video game market was down 22%. Yet iOS and Android were up ~80-100%.

There is a difference between 'current reality' and 'future trends'. We can debate where things will be next week, next month or next year.

Pc games and even PC peripherals experienced sales growth so your "exactly one" statement is exactly false.

As far as numbers go you need to look a little deeper, anyone can use numbers to support their view as long as they pick the right numbers.

PC users can point to the fact that PC games did experience growth and PC still remains the largest install base. Don't sleep on kickstater either which will continue to grow and contribute alot of money into PC gaming.

Console is down, yes but it's also at the end of a way too long cycle and the release of the new consoles will have people wowing at the console sales numbers. whooppee.

The IOS and mobile numbers are huge. Of course they are, its still relativity new (so the have much more room for growth) and taps in to a market that pc and console don't really.

My wife and her cousins, sisters and even grandpa. People that have never gamed or dabble a little when they were kids are now gamers, thanks IOS.

The huge growth is because of games like angry birds, candy crush, temple run etc. Not games like KOTOR, BGEE or avadon, or some great in depth game, these games contribute very little.

Is that good for gaming?

Everyone that I talk to. Which admittedly is just a very, very small number of the total install base for IOS, likes mobile gaming because it doesn't require commitment. You can pick it up play for 5-10 min and stop. That doesn't bode well for the future of large involving game on IOS.

Now the Developers are going to follow the money and if the money is in shallow game that you can pick up and put down in a moments notice then that's what we will see more of.

I think they are going to test the waters, and have already started to with BGEE and KOTOR to make more involving games for IOS. If the casual gamer which dominates the mobile gaming space at the moment doesn't embrace these game because they require too much commitment then that trend will be short lived and it will continue to be a dumping grounds for shallow casual games.

So while IOS and mobile is certainly growing, is it really the kind of growth that longtime gamers want to see? Well, I can"t speak for everyone but not this longtime gamer.

Pc games and even PC peripherals experienced sales growth so your "exactly one" statement is exactly false.

That is very true - PC game sales increased by 8% in 2012, and console / handheld decreased 28%.

Thanks for the correction ... it was actually a point I used in pushing off the 'PC gaming is dead' in another thread! :blush:

So while IOS and mobile is certainly growing, is it really the kind of growth that longtime gamers want to see? Well, I can"t speak for everyone but not this longtime gamer.

There are two questions - what gamers want and what makes business sense. Folks like EA are pushing mobile HARD because they see the opportunity for games that cost $500k to make and bring in $25 million. A 50:1 ratio is hard to get in PC and especially console gaming - on PC that game would cost $10 million and on console it would be a minimum of $50 million for a mainstream game.

And in reality the games that are selling $750 million cost >$100 to make - not even counting marketing. So I would bet that Call of Duty: Whatever Number We're On Now only has a cost to earnings ratio of ~3:1.

As for what gamers want ... I have plenty of Match-3 games, plenty of rehashes ... I would like something new and interesting on my iPad, thanks. As for PC gaming ... still going strong!

That is very true - PC game sales increased by 8% in 2012, and console / handheld decreased 28%.

Thanks for the correction … it was actually a point I used in pushing off the 'PC gaming is dead' in another thread! :blush:

There are two questions - what gamers want and what makes business sense. Folks like EA are pushing mobile HARD because they see the opportunity for games that cost $500k to make and bring in $25 million. A 50:1 ratio is hard to get in PC and especially console gaming - on PC that game would cost $10 million and on console it would be a minimum of $50 million for a mainstream game.

And in reality the games that are selling $750 million cost >$100 to make - not even counting marketing. So I would bet that Call of Duty: Whatever Number We're On Now only has a cost to earnings ratio of ~3:1.

I can't argue the financial opportunity that IOS games offer but it does seem that there are relatively few games that reach that kind of return. It seems that the top 5% or so are making the bulk of the revenue and then you have the vast majority with only modest returns. I have no evidence to back that up, it's just speculation on my part.

As for what gamers want … I have plenty of Match-3 games, plenty of rehashes … I would like something new and interesting on my iPad, thanks. As for PC gaming … still going strong!

As an Ipad owner I can agree with that and would like to see more of it on all platforms actually.

Yes, PC is going strong. Kickstarter and extended console cycle has lead to a bit of a PC resurgence.

I know it's off topic but has anyone tried gaming on a surface pro or other full windows tablet?

You don't have to agree … it is a simple matter of numbers. Look over the last few years - console sales numbers down, handheld sales numbers down, overall gaming industry down. And yet for iOS and Android, the growth since 2008 has been >75% every year, to the point that even with the average price of a game being <$2, the share of market has gone from marginal to a huge percentage, dominating handhelds over the last several months and capturing an increasing amount of the total market.

You don't have to agree with me either ;)

As I said - these things wax and wane - and they go both up and down. PC games are growing - as has been pointed out to you, so there. But I'm not talking about here and now - or about trends. I don't care about trends - I just care about the big picture - and there's absolutely nothing in the big picture to suggest that tablets will EVER compete with PC and consoles when it comes to the kind of games we enjoy around here.

I'm not ruling it out - I'm just saying we've yet to see a SINGLE example after how many years of iPads?

I don't care how profitable they are or have become - because until they can satisfy the enthusiast market and the larger mainstream gaming market - they're not going to matter in the slightest as an alternative for those markets.

I know you're really impressed by what they can do - but as I've said before, we disagree about how much that is. It's as if you think the hardware can somehow, magically, sidestep the obvious and physical limitations of the platform. As if PCs and consoles don't have a ridiculous advantage when it comes to GPU power and so forth - not to mention the way you interact with games.

Look at things like the Occulus Rift and the Virtuex Omni. Can you imagine those combined with an iPad?

The future of gaming lies elsewhere my friend - and I'm not talking about casual gaming.

But that doesn't mean platforms won't eventually converge - and one day our PCs will be really, really small. But by then, we'll be talking about a different set of circumstances and our concepts will be different.

Even if the PC/console industry collapses (which I consider to be extremely unlikely) - we'll still have kickstarter and indie developers.

Not sure we disagree, as we have discussed - my whole point is that there are some good games. Whether KotOR is better on PC has absolutely no bearing on whether it is enjoyable on iPad. That question is solely based on the iPad experience.

I don't understand your point. A port of a 10 year old game is enjoyable on the iPad - and?

I don't even think it's a very good port, but that's beside the point.

What do you expect that to mean to an enthusiast gamer?

There is a larger question we have talked about wherein we wonder when we will get an iPad-only game that we look at and say … wow, that is just one epic RPG that will diminish on porting elsewhere. And in the current context of gameplay I cant' see a path to that game.

Exactly, which is why I don't understand where you're coming from.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say at all.

Yes - iPad/tablets are doing extremely well for the moment. Lots and lots of shallow crappy games - and a few really neat ones - all of which has absolutely no bearing on enthusiast games. Not a single game - and it's not like the trend just started.

I'm still waiting.

Back
Top Bottom