New Computer - Quick view of parts?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Hey all, as mentioned a few months ago, I am planning to build my first pc.

I do not have any experience myself, so I have had to resort to some online sites to help me out.

It's a bit over my budget as I was planning to spend £1,250 and the only reasonable way to get there would be to go for a GTX1060 (6GB) and/or remove the HDD.

I think picking a good CPU means it will last me for a long time as games aren't usually CPU blocked as far as I know.

What do you guys think of the following using pc part picker?
Any advice on things to change ?

Plan is to buy all of this/equivalents in August, but I'm quite excited and so doing the research now :blush:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor (£196.00 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.74 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: *Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£140.93 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: *Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£149.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£100.00 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£65.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card (£429.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Fractal Design - Define C TG ATX Mid Tower Case (£77.73 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£87.32 @ Box Limited)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£79.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £1350.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-20 14:07 BST+0100

It's all good and it'll run everything without a hitch.
No i7 and no SLI/Xfire = I love it.

But if you'll be waiting for august, I have to suggest checking reviews during next few months if Ryzen 2600(X) is a better bang/buck option than i5. Per initial reviews seems it is, apparently you lose 2-3 frames but spend less $ you can then invest in more SSD capacity or something.
Avoid PC Gamer recommendations! That silly site shills for unbelievably expensive i9. :rolleyes:

Perhaps instead of one internal 3Tb HDD drive you should split it in one internal and one external HDD, but to be honest since HDD prices are so low, today it's more a matter of taste than functionality.

It's all good and it'll run everything without a hitch.
No i7 and no SLI/Xfire = I love it.

But if you'll be waiting for august, I have to suggest checking reviews during next few months if Ryzen 2600(X) is a better bang/buck option than i5. Per initial reviews seems it is, apparently you lose 2-3 frames but spend less $ you can then invest in more SSD capacity or something.
Avoid PC Gamer recommendations! That silly site shills for unbelievably expensive i9. :rolleyes:

Perhaps instead of one internal 3Tb HDD drive you should split it in one internal and one external HDD, but to be honest since HDD prices are so low, today it's more a matter of taste than functionality.
If I get a ryzen I'd have to change motherboard too though, right?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

You could also shave off a good few quid by going for a more budget motherboard.

Looks great and is definitely going to do what you want.

Only suggestion is like @joxer; was saying, seeing what AMD comes up with will probably give you a better bang for your buck (and possibly cheaper) over the long term.

Pretty good build. I agree that you could save a bit on the board. That really depends on the features you want though.

I mean the ONLY real requirement is that it's a Z370 board. Besides of that it's all about the features you want on it. How many fan connections, does it need to be a "gamer soundcard" which you might never use anyways, and so on.
Don't expect to save tons of money though and it's not a bad choice either I guess. Just looks a bit weird if you look at the board/cpu price ratio.

Also you usually don't need to buy a new version of windows. If you are currently running Windows 10 already, that should work fine on your next pc as well.

Pretty good build. I agree that you could save a bit on the board. That really depends on the features you want though.

I mean the ONLY real requirement is that it's a Z370 board. Besides of that it's all about the features you want on it. How many fan connections, does it need to be a "gamer soundcard" which you might never use anyways, and so on.
Don't expect to save tons of money though and it's not a bad choice either I guess. Just looks a bit weird if you look at the board/cpu price ratio.

Also you usually don't need to buy a new version of windows. If you are currently running Windows 10 already, that should work fine on your next pc as well.

I don't really know. Do I need additional fans not currently in the build ?
Also, I have a laptop only at the moment, I do not know if I could transfer the Win 10 onto the pc. Is that possible ?

A few comments: First the prices seem really high but maybe usa is spoiled.
for the newest cpu (and wait about 6 months and get a cpu with the security fix).
For my personal builds I prefer ITX and this case:
PC-Q33A Mini Tower Desktop Case (comes in both black and silver) HOWEVER if you use that case you would need either a zotac or gigabyte mini 1070 (I have one of each - two different builds)
-
With an I5 you can use the stock cooler and do not need to buy a third party cooler.
-
Here is a sample mb:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...re=z370_series_300_itx-_-13-157-795-_-Product
-
I tend to favor gskill memory here is an example:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...232298&cm_re=16gb_ddr4-_-20-232-298-_-Product
-
I dislike your psu it is overpriced and not the best (corsair rebrands others psu and some are better than other)
-
You could get a seasonic focus 550w platinum for $97 or the 650 version for $108
-
You might consider the non-k version of the i5 if it is less expensive.
-
I would NOT get that diskdrive also I would get a 2TB or 4TB drive. for 4TB I prefer the HGST 0S03664 but since wd purchased hitachi drive business they have gotten expensive. Check reviews carefully but seagate tends to have high failure rate.

Last edited:
Hey Ripper,

Any recommendations ?
I would still want something that lets me replace the GPU and other elements in the next 4-5 years

I wouldn't like to recommend a motherboard without personal experience of it. Over the years, I've had basic ones that were rock solid, and posh ones that were flaky as hell. I'd defer to the other guys if they have any current recommendations for a suitable budget board. I'm sure there's a decent option out there, without the features you don't need.

Thanks. Didn't realize this change. Given how much they over charge for these things it seems cheesy. Anyway AMD (at least the old series) always had much better heat sinks (no clue about the new releases).

Btw you might want to consider AMD as this is a game computer. For home servers I would still recommend intel since their chipset is a bit better for I/O but for games it doesn't matter much. Intel lowered their prices for cpu to match amd but amd mb are still a lot cheaper.

I think it's since skylake that unlocked (k) CPUs don't come with stock coolers anymore.

I went for an i7 back in 2013 and avoided alot of performance issues in games that utilized the CPU more (like Unity games). Just something to consider, although I understand Unity is better at using CPU now, there are upcoming games that need a good L2 cache at least.

Check reviews carefully but seagate tends to have high failure rate.

I would echo this comment too. Avoid Seagate as a brand. If the reports (and my own experience but that quite a while ago) are to be believed they have highest failure rate compared to other brands.

Best of luck to you! I enjoy rebuilding my pc every few years :D

Most of what you listed looks good to me, but if I had to make a change I'd recommend spending a little extra and getting a 1TB SSD instead of the 500GB.

I've had a 500GB Samsung EVO for about 2 years now, and it's definitely not large enough due to how much space newer games are using. Even if you only plan on using it for games, you'll soon find yourself having to delete some to make room for others.

I also wouldn't bother with an internal HDD at all. For extra storage, just purchase an external USB 3.0 HDD after you get your new system. They're about the same price as an internal HDD, but they're a lot more convenient.

I think that pretty much depends on your habits.
Actually your one issue only arises due to your other. ^^

I am personally using a 500GB SSD, and it's only half full. Using the PC for about 2 years now. Doesn't mean that you should go with 250gb instead, but to me 500GB is a great sweet spot, where I have tons of space left. I do however uninstall games after I finished them.
And I do save other stuff like recordings for Lets Plays and stuff like that on an internal HDD (3TB). For me it would be pretty much impossible to use an external USB drive instead due to the large volume of data I am shifting around.
Of course I am somewhat of a special case here, but in the end it really comes down to habits and user preferences.
If you are not using lots of data besides of games, 500GB can even be fine without additional HDD (which can also be the loudest part of the PC these days).
I'd just say, don't go below 500GB for the SSD, everything else is personal preference.

So.

Just a couple of questions then.

I have a 250gb ssd in my laptop and a 500gb hdd too.

I assume that there should be a way to use those in the new pc I will buy or is that something I should not do?

Also, I am on win 10 on my laptop, can I transfer that license over to the pc?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Regarding Windows 10: Yes. If you registered this on your microsoft account, you should be able to just install windows 10 on your new PC and then login with your microsoft account, and everything is fine. If you are not registered at microsoft yet, I recommend to do so.

Regarding the harddrives: I think it pretty much depends on their connectors and form factor...and actually also age. If the laptop is already 3 years or older, I'd probably recommend to just buy new stuff. A 500gb hdd isn't worth much anyways, and the SSD might no have a very long live ahead.
But if you can list the exact modles and age of these drives we can take a look whether or not it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom