Gothic 3 Gothic 3 addon

Bartacus

BartWatch
If you read the news here at RPG-watch, you probadly have noticed that there will be an addon for gothic3. I didn't see that one coming, not after the split between PB and Jowood anyway.
I hope it will change some game aspects, but I don't have high expectations. I think they'll try to make the story a bit better (NPC's, like Diego and so on, will have more to say), but I fear that they change the story to much. Specially that announcement about that you might not trust the same npc's who you've trusted before ... Well I fear for the fab four.

it'll be interesting if the proposed add-on materialised since i had played G2: tNotR without playing the original and enjoyed it very much.

The most important question is: "Will the combat system be fixed?" If their answer to this is unconvincing their game will get a first class funeral.

What do you mean exactly with getting the combat system fixed? For me the ranged combat was the best that I've seen so far and magic was good too. Even the melee wasn't bad to wield.
Imo, the melee combast was bad because of the damage counting system. When you have the paladins armor on, it should be almost impossible to feel much damage unless it came from the really dangerous creatures (black trolls and so on). If they are able to change the fact that a boar could still kill you even at a high level with a pally armor on, the game will indeed be better.

Still this isn't the most important question for me. Gothic was never the game with the handy controls, still I embraced them as my own. Gothic was more the combination of the story, atmosphere and the indepth characters. Diego really felt like a pall for me. That's why I liked KotOR too, the npc's got more personal. I think this is exactly what I missed in Oblivion too: the world is just to big.

Seeing as the addon will be a standalone-addon I doubt they will fix anything in G3. The addon will probably take place on a new landmass. Taken from this german interview.

The standalone addon pretty much dropped my interest in G3. Sad.

(or maybe the standalone addon pack will contain the original G3 installation kit, and that's why it's standalone.:p)

Seeing as the addon will be a standalone-addon I doubt they will fix anything in G3. The addon will probably take place on a new landmass. Taken from this german interview.

The standalone addon pretty much dropped my interest in G3. Sad.

(or maybe the standalone addon pack will contain the original G3 installation kit, and that's why it's standalone.:p)

I disagree completely. I for one am very happy that's it's taking place in a new area, and that's it's going to be an expansion rather than an integration. Gothic 3 is just way too long to play through again just for some extra content. Hopefully they will also keep releasing patches (or maybe just 1 big one) that will improve the original game.

Could anyone translate some of that interview for us non-German speaking folk?

Could anyone translate some of that interview for us non-German speaking folk?

yes, i'd second that. Google Translate makes some hilarious reading but off the mark. :-/

Not much to translate.
It will probably be stand-alone - but that decision is not final yet.
It will be closer to G4 than G3.
The developer will be disclosed later.

thanks anyway Gorath. even littlest of crumbs will go a long way to satisfy the cravings of rabid Gothic fans. :0

hehe I just returned to the forum and the good news is already coming! these news about the expansion are indeed very good! it brings hope that some official patches will come after it! let's hope so!

I guess there is no hurry to finish G2 then. Ill start G3 when its fully expanded and patched both officially and unofficially.

That's gonna take a while.... If I were you I would finish it! (as a member of all 3 camps-I use camps because I can't think of better work right now!-)

Already any new, news about the addon?

What do you mean exactly with getting the combat system fixed?

Two words: Stun Lock.

I tried to work past it with ranged combat, but imho that wasn't so great either. I seemed to have a hard time hitting anything except at close range, and by then didn't do enough damage to prevent creatures from reaching me, in which the stun lock ensued.
I personally think that Arx Fatalis had the best ranged combat ever. But not to sidetrack, as bad as I wanted to love Gothic 3, and as dedicated as I was to playing it at first release, eventually it just became too tedious and difficult, between 1/2 day loading times and endless fed-ex quests constantly interuptted by stun locking chaos. Imo The Witcher has the atmosphere and quest quality that Gothic 3 was supposed to have. I realize that's comparing apples to oranges, but what I mean is that TW is the first game I have enjoyed and admired on the same level as the first two Gothics.

Two words: Stun Lock.

I tried to work past it with ranged combat, but imho that wasn't so great either. I seemed to have a hard time hitting anything except at close range, and by then didn't do enough damage to prevent creatures from reaching me, in which the stun lock ensued.
I personally think that Arx Fatalis had the best ranged combat ever. But not to sidetrack, as bad as I wanted to love Gothic 3, and as dedicated as I was to playing it at first release, eventually it just became too tedious and difficult, between 1/2 day loading times and endless fed-ex quests constantly interuptted by stun locking chaos. Imo The Witcher has the atmosphere and quest quality that Gothic 3 was supposed to have. I realize that's comparing apples to oranges, but what I mean is that TW is the first game I have enjoyed and admired on the same level as the first two Gothics.

I know what you mean, but for me the Witcher still doesn't come close to a gothic imo. The frequent load/save screens screw it up for me.
About the ranged combat: You just have to aim a little bit higher when you shoot from a distance. This just adds a bit of 'reallity' in gothic because in real life you will have to do that too.

yeah ranged combat in gothic 3 is superb
though i disagree about witcher loading being a problem-
sure there are a lot when you're in city areas but
a)i have a five year old computer (nearly) and the loading times are quicker than nwn2 and less frequent.
b)autosaves only occur if you have updated a portion of your quest tree.
c)the loading screens are beautiful:)
*d) also like most modern games with huge save files, its beneficial when you get more than a couple dozen save games (which i do quite quickly) export them to a backup directly since like many other games, when you have a lot of save files half the time, or more, of the loading or saving process can be spent waiting for the save files to 'appear'

Back
Top Bottom