CRPG Book Project - 12 more notable RPGs

Arhu

Two Sides
Staff Member
Administrator
CRPG Book Project author Felipe expanded his abridged version of CRPG History with a second part, titled 12 more RPGs that brought something new to the table.

Now, if that wasn't clear last time, I'm intentionally leaving out games like Diablo, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect and other extremely popular titles that everyone know about in order to focus on the obscure and amusing games, mechanics or even curiosities.

This once again is just a random sampling of cool/weird computer RPGs I wanted to talk about, in no way intended to be a comprehensive listing - that's what the CRPG Book is for (..)
Games in the spotlight:

• Rings of Zilfin (1987)
  • Star Saga: One - Beyond the Boundary (1988)
  • The Magic Candle (1989)
  • Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra (1991)
  • Princess Maker 2 (1993)
  • Superhero League of Hoboken (1994)
  • Omikron: The Nomad Soul (1999)
  • Gorky 17 (1999)
  • Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (2001)
  • Freedom Force (2002)
  • 7.62 High Calibre (2007) & Marauder (2009)

Previous article: CRPG History Abridged - 21 RPGs that brought something new to the table.

Felipe is still looking for contributors to his CRPG Book Project.

More information.

LOL at the M&M III piece. :D

Ah, so many games I missed... I did get Gorky 17 in the summer sale though and should probably give it a shot.

This is the wrong article to post this on since he covered Wizardry 7 in the last article, but I am way too lazy to register to post on the site the articles are on. I thought the cartography system was impressive in Wiz7. I hadn't seen anything like that before (maps at all in games were rare), and rarely since, which is surprising since it makes perfect sense for a rpg.

Also, the never talked about Buck Rogers games (which were mind blowing) did an amazing job of combining ground and space combat. I don't know if they came before Traveler, and Traveler was a good game (and even let you print out character sheets you could use with the P&P system), but Buck Rogers can't be beat.

Also, I'm almost positive this game came out before daggerfall but I can't remember the name. It was an Underworldish type game, and it had guilds you joined and had to do missions for to increase your rank with them. If they did that first, that was a pretty neat idea and obviously a huge inspiration for daggerfall and Bethesda's later console offerings.

Also, the RoA trilogy was probably the best implementation of a rpg system and the first game I can think of that really used your skills in a ton of random text events.

There was an Arabian themed D&D action game that was probably the first action rpg. No one considered it a crpg then, but would solidly be considered one nowadays.

Anyway, just some ideas.

This is the wrong article to post this on since he covered Wizardry 7 in the last article, but I am way too lazy to register to post on the site the articles are on. I thought the cartography system was impressive in Wiz7. I hadn't seen anything like that before (maps at all in games were rare), and rarely since, which is surprising since it makes perfect sense for a rpg.
I find Wiz 7's map system interesting, but really cumbersome to use... it always feels like drawing it yourself is faster and quicker to access.

The Eschalon games have a similar system, an automap entirely dependent on your cartography skill (showing more area & details), and I think it's a far better execution of the same concept.

Also, the never talked about Buck Rogers games (which were mind blowing) did an amazing job of combining ground and space combat. I don't know if they came before Traveler, and Traveler was a good game (and even let you print out character sheets you could use with the P&P system), but Buck Rogers can't be beat.

Honestly, I still haven't played those. I'm having a hard time with the Gold Box games & spin-offs, I still haven't got a single review of those... but Buck Rogers is indeed an important, I even interviewed David Klein about it, and this is what he said:

TSR's president at the time was a member of the Dille family, and they are very proud their grandfather created Buck Rogers. This personal connection led TSR to encourage SSI to add Buck Rogers games to the Gold Box engine. Flint Dille spent a fair amount of time in our offices, overseeing the creation, especially of the look of Buck and Wilma. There were numerous iterations, especially around Wilma's body dimensions.

Also, I'm almost positive this game came out before daggerfall but I can't remember the name. It was an Underworldish type game, and it had guilds you joined and had to do missions for to increase your rank with them. If they did that first, that was a pretty neat idea and obviously a huge inspiration for daggerfall and Bethesda's later console offerings.

You probably mean 1992's Legends of Valour. Bethesda did rip of a lot from it, especially the cities, but the game itself is crap... seriously, it's as boring as an RPG can get. But yeah, worth a mention.

Also, the RoA trilogy was probably the best implementation of a rpg system and the first game I can think of that really used your skills in a ton of random text events.
That one is certainly worth an article. Arhu gave me a great help there, asking the german guys at the RoA fan forums to write a review for it. :)

There was an Arabian themed D&D action game that was probably the first action rpg. No one considered it a crpg then, but would solidly be considered one nowadays.
Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse, right? It's a fun game, but there were many action-RPGs before it, especially in Japan.

But thanks for the feedback. And if you're interested, I still need someone to write about the Buck Rogers games. :)

At the time Wiz7s map was awesome. I agree Eschalon did it better, but was way, way later. There is also another game that I'm almost certain had it, but I can't think of the game.

Yes, Legends of Valor, thank you. I agree, was crap, but the guild thing and ranks were neat ideas.

And right about Al-Quidin too. You are on it.

Also, I'm unfit to write anything that will be published. I don't know if you've seen many of my posts but most people would agree giving me a serious platform probably isn't in anyone's best interest.

I also don't understand why so many rpg lovers skipped the Buck Rogers games. Granted the TV show was kind of like Love Boat in space, but I bought any RPG that said SSI. I even bought a Sega Genesis just to play a buck rogers game, they were that good. They are exactly like the goldbox games but with a ton of awesome added to it (better graphics, better combat, better everything). This game is probably the only 2e game that had actual strategic combat. You had weapon types that were completely negated by armor types, and things of that nature.

M&MIII, Magic Candle, and Arcanum aren't exactly obscure. Maybe relative to BG or Morrowind, but not to most CRPG fans.

Edit: Doh, just noticed this was on Gamasutra, and thus not aimed towards CRPG fans. Thus these games WOULD be considered obscure by the intended audience.

Also, the M&MIII/Scorpia story is a classic. I always get a laugh out when I hear about it.

Also, I'm unfit to write anything that will be published. I don't know if you've seen many of my posts but most people would agree giving me a serious platform probably isn't in anyone's best interest.
The most qualified person for a job is the one who does it when others do not. ;)

Besides, I can always just refuse your review.
bird.gif

Not a very good spy then, are you? ;)

Back
Top Bottom