System Shock 3 - Warren Spector joins Otherside

SS1 is sort of an Ultima Underworld for sci-fi fans. I don't really get much enjoyment from it. It's too cheesy and the controls suck. Apparently modders have upgraded the control scheme in recent years though (which is what is used in the re-releases). The game certainly would be mindblowing in 1994 however.

I agree that the original control scheme took some getting used to, but I don't see how the game was cheesy in any way. SS was light years ahead of anything else when it was released. I didn't get around to playing it until more than 10 years later, and I was still very impressed even then.

And yes, the controls are a non-issue now. The re-released version allows you to customize them.

Actually, yes. I based my statement on original game sales which the best I could find put them at less than 200,000. Then SS2 sold only 60,000 in the first 6 month. That doesn't sound like there was a huge fan base rushing to by the second game on release. If my numbers are wrong, please correct me. Thats the best I could find on a quick google search.

As for your data. It shows that 3 times the number of people bought the re-release. My guess is because it was 9.99 and I've seen it as low as 2.99 I believe. So was it diehard fans buying it or people grabbing it because it was cheap and they heard it was good. So why not add it to the library in case one day you will play it. I have several games in my steam library for that reason. So, let's see…

Looking further in to the data you supplied shows 43% never even started the game and the median play time was 1.14 hours.

Givin that, I stand by what I said. Cult following denotes the most hard core of fans, not the casual fan or the guy that played it and moved on, so when I say small cult following it does not encompass every fan of the game. I love wizardry and would say it also has a small cult following here in the US. I even bought a PS2 for the sole purpose of playing the very average Japanese import wizardry Tale of the forsaken land. That's the kind of fan I think cult following alludes to.

first off, I want to say I haven't said anything negative about this game. I'm not pulling a Joxer and bashing it in every thread and then running off. I simply said it wasn't for me and based on what I looked up it has a small cult following.

Second, I never said you or anyone here was part of the cult following. I have no idea of your level of interest in the game, although it's becoming apparent.

Third,You seem to see "cult following" as a negative. I always thought it was a compliment and it was meant that way. Most games, even ones with better sales never reach the level of acquiring a cult following as they are played and then forgotten, not discussed 20 years later on forums. I think of it as a badge of honor, not an insult, sorry if you see it otherwise.

If it helps you they even describe the game on their steam page as a "cult classic"

Ok, I understand what you mean with a small cult following in that case a group of people who keeps on being fans a loooong time after the games were released and perhaps even keep playing them…. it actually means very few games would have anything other than a small cult following, same thing would go for Ultima, Baldur's gate and other cult classics. They all more or less share the same faith of companies going bust, because of poor sales at one point or another, well except Ultima which went EA.

Ok, I understand what you mean with a small cult following in that case a group of people who keeps on being fans a loooong time after the games were released and perhaps even keep playing them…. it actually means very few games would have anything other than a small cult following, same thing would go for Ultima, Baldur's gate and other cult classics. They all more or less share the same faith of companies going bust, because of poor sales at one point or another, well except Ultima which went EA.

Exactly, thanks GG for actually reading and trying to understand where I'm coming from. Much appreciated.

Iirc, Spector was an outside producer for SS1 (per in game credits and Wikipedia) and not sure he had anything to do with SS2 (checked and he has no credits on SS2 Wikipedia, not to mention KLevine has posted on Blue's stating as much). So not really sure he deserves any credit for the development or success of either System Shock, certainly not SS2. :rolleyes:

They are great game, Couch should play them if he likes FPS SciFi. The Unofficial patches will be needed depending on which versions you buy. Just check the Steam or GOG forums for the right upgrades, respective of your purchase.

Back
Top Bottom