2013 NHL Playoffs Thread

Gonna be a tough win. Last night was their golden opportunity.
Anxiously awaiting the Pens-Bruins series. I live in Bruins country unfortunately, at least as hockey goes in this area, which isnt a lot. But they are some arrogant loudmouths who will be unbearable if they won this series. My stepson even named his son "Bruin." Bruin Thomas. I call him Sidney whenever I see him.:D

Gonna be a tough win. Last night was their golden opportunity.
Anxiously awaiting the Pens-Bruins series. I live in Bruins country unfortunately, at least as hockey goes in this area, which isnt a lot. But they are some arrogant loudmouths who will be unbearable if they won this series. My stepson even named his son "Bruin." Bruin Thomas. I call him Sidney whenever I see him.:D

Gotta love arrogant loudmouths! :)

I lived 42 years in Boston area, worked at Patriots Stadium (was Schaeffer at the time), and will always be a Boston fan. But I have never been, nor will I ever be, one of THOSE fans. Every team has them ... And they are all doing a disservice to the team and sport. Good natured fun is one thing , but over the top fandom is more of a mental illness ...

The Red Wings choked away a great opportunity last night. It's a 1-game series now. :uneasy:
Ugly, ugly. I'm still waiting for an explanation of how Toews wasn't offside on their 2nd goal, but that doesn't excuse the loss. Someone needs to crosscheck Mule in the face and get him a little angry. He's coasted thru the last 2 games.

Some people were talking about Smith being the next Lidstrom. I guess that parade's been cancelled. Even given some slack for being a rookie, he's had a really bad playoffs.

The guys overall just looked listless. The Squawks are simply too good to get away with that. I do like our chances in game 7, though. If we lose 3 in a row, we deserve to go home.

I lived 42 years in Boston area, worked at Patriots Stadium (was Schaeffer at the time), and will always be a Boston fan. But I have never been, nor will I ever be, one of THOSE fans. Every team has them … And they are all doing a disservice to the team and sport. Good natured fun is one thing , but over the top fandom is more of a mental illness …

Exactly. Thank you for getting it. I am all for good-natured ribbing. I can dish it out as well as take it. And it can be quite fun. But there's limit. A line you don't cross. They cross it constantly. But only when they win, of course. They lose, they disappear faster than the donuts at a police convention.

I lived 42 years in Boston area, worked at Patriots Stadium (was Schaeffer at the time), and will always be a Boston fan. But I have never been, nor will I ever be, one of THOSE fans. Every team has them … And they are all doing a disservice to the team and sport. Good natured fun is one thing , but over the top fandom is more of a mental illness …

really? I've never seen "those" kind of fans until the Bruins last won the cup. I had always thought of the Boston area as die-hard pro Buins since the Orr days, being original six and all. Got reports there were people there for the "scene" and it was the same kind that went to the Red Sox games.

I think the closest we have for Vancouver were the rioters, but those were idiot kids who think life is terrible even though they wear $100 shoes. They thought it would be cool.

I see Torts is gone this morning. At first I thought his mouth did him in this season but I hear rumours that Lundqvist did him in.

GG mentioned Edler - what was up with that? Didn't pay much attention to the worlds but heard talk of Edler's nasty stick and getting thrownout of the tournament. He's never anything near that before. His career so far has been above average if not spectactular. When he was a young defense he was more steady than he should have been.

Someone called the Canucks chokers. Not likely - we've been nto the finals three times. But its typical troll bate and Canucks fans fall for it, but luckily we're learning. Its the Caps who have that title historically and more recently the Sharks however…

Shame the Sharks didn't go anywhere. Got within 1 goal.

Its going to be a great conference finals - these five teams have all been there before. Does two cups make a dynasty?

Someone called the Canucks chokers. Not likely - we've been nto the finals three times. But its typical troll bate and Canucks fans fall for it, but luckily we're learning. Its the Caps who have that title historically and more recently the Sharks however…

I think it's fair to say that a lot of fans would consider the Canucks to be chokers to some degree. I'm talking about recent years, not historically. They've consistently been a strong team during the regular season but often seem to underperform in the playoffs. They've lost to a lower-seeded team 4 out of the last 5 years.

But yeah… the Caps and Sharks are both worse in that regard.

Its going to be a great conference finals - these five teams have all been there before. Does two cups make a dynasty?

Not in my opinion…

really? I've never seen "those" kind of fans until the Bruins last won the cup. I had always thought of the Boston area as die-hard pro Buins since the Orr days, being original six and all. Got reports there were people there for the "scene" and it was the same kind that went to the Red Sox games.

I think with hockey it is better than other sports ... whereas with the Patriots I think it is the worst. The Boston area itself is all very pro-Bruin, but when I meet people who have never even BEEN to New England yet are the Pats/Celts/Sox/Bruins #1 fan ... ugh. Reminds me of the Cowboys way back ...

And I am all for having fun with rivalries:
- My wife grew up north of Albany NY in a Yankees household, but had lived in Mass for 15 years by the time the '04 run came along ... so it was great going back and forth with her dad during that series.
- With the '86 Mets series I was in undergrad school and a huge portion of our fraternity was Mets fans. So my best friend would be a total ass every game about it ... so when the Mets won the series, he got showered! It was great and he really earned it, and never went beyond loads of fun and great memories.

But the people who get in fights and berate others and destroy property ... no clue.

I think it's fair to say that a lot of fans would consider the Canucks to be chokers to some degree. I'm talking about recent years, not historically. They've consistently been a strong team during the regular season but often seem to underperform in the playoffs. They've lost to a lower-seeded team 4 out of the last 5 years.

Three of four of those years were to the eventual Stanley Cup Champions. That always knocks out the "choke" aspect out of it if they have the opposition has the capacity to go all the way. Making it to the finals and to 7 games is a rare accomplishment most teams dream they can achieve.

As for this year, its definitely not the same as the previous two. The team overperformed just by being 3rd but consider the division they were in. Its going to be rough going forward - a new coach is not going to change the personel on the team.

I might know what you mean about out of town fans but I'm still not sure. I know plenty of Montreal fans that have never been to Montreal and don't plan to. However, they also know hockey even if they, like the city, are a bunch of arrogant snobs who think '93 wasn't the last cup they'll see in their lifetime.

Well Detroit had their opportunity...

Three of four of those years were to the eventual Stanley Cup Champions. That always knocks out the "choke" aspect out of it if they have the opposition has the capacity to go all the way. Making it to the finals and to 7 games is a rare accomplishment most teams dream they can achieve.

What the other team did afterwards doesn't change the fact that Vancouver was the favored team in each of those series.

Had to give my Pittsburgh native coworker some crap yesterday after the Bruins jumped to a very unexpected 3-0 lead ... but I know there is plenty of time left for the traditional Boston collapse :)

I know there is plenty of time left for the traditional Boston collapse :)

They won't. Pittsburgh has little heart and zero defense. I knew they would be going down as soon as they faced a balanced team. Boston will complete the sweep tomorrow night.

They won't. Pittsburgh has little heart and zero defense. I knew they would be going down as soon as they faced a balanced team. Boston will complete the sweep tomorrow night.
Mostly, I hope so. I almost have to root for nobody to skate the Cup this year. Can't pull for the Squawks Bandwagon for obvious reasons. Can't really pull for the Queens since that would give them a repeat, taking the "last repeat" throne from the Wings. Root for the Pittsburgh Crosbies? Yeah, right. That leaves Boston and their annoying fan base.

Would you prefer death by hanging, or being hanged until dead?

Rumor is the Crosbies contacted Barasso to come man the pipes. :D

edit- At least we've got the Griffins headed to the Calder Cup finals. There's still hockey worth paying attention to. ;)

until the last two games its been a pretty dull Conference Finals. The only team I've been halfway cheering for is Pittsburgh, mainly for Iginla's sake.

What a game the other night - it should have been Pittsburgh. They made Rask look like the shoe in for the Playoff MVP.

Quick did his best last night but when LA is losing they press and the chicken hawks know how to capitalize.

Is it wrong to wish for an earthquake?

Back
Top Bottom