Anchorage Earthquake & Tsunami

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Last edited:
My hometown is near Alaska. We regularly got Tsunami warnings but the Queen Charlotte Islands always acted like a break before it hit us.

I'll have to find out from friends and family if they are affected.

Yikes, I visited Alaska a few times in my younger days, I hope all are well. That's not really the kind of place you think of for earthquakes or tsunamis, or at least it doesn't come to mind for me.

I never knew that there could be earthquakes in that territory ...

Aj, I see it now. Seems to be my "european looking direction on maps" bias that I never saw that. Edit : Not very well worded, but I don't have better words for what i mean yet.

There's a reason they call it the ring of fire. In fact, The Straight of Juan de Fuca which separates Vancouver Island from mainland Canada/United States is basically one big fault line. Its where marine biologists found the first life forms not ultimately dependent on sunlight in the 1980's.

In three places I lived in Northern Canada all three cities had earthquakes but they rarely got mentioned even in passing (even after property damage). Gale force winds, our big snowfalls (which people to the south of us I learned called storms or blizzards), and the twice annual major forest fires would also get no press.

If you are not near a major population center in the United States it doesn't get mentioned. They teach you that in journalism - no one cares if its not local, so they don't report it. Except if its a plane crash.

Back
Top Bottom