Baldur's Gate 3 - Preview @RockPaperShotgun

ummmm…Minsc?….the annoying guy on the bridge(How about now? How about now? How about now?)… the theatre group in Baldur's Gate(auditioning?). I think we, as game players, make the atmosphere. Now Planescape, I remember, was really dark and gritty.

It’s that Star Wars mentality where people grew up with something they still take seriously and want to view it as more adult than it is. BG2 (and Star Wars) was camp as hell. Which there’s not necessarily anything wrong with but yeah, dark and gritty it was not.

There's a difference between having some humor and being humorous throughout. Baldur's Gate had some humor, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that it was pretty dark most of the time.

Giving a handful of examples for a 100 hour game doesn't make it chock full of comedy. BG 2 was darker and PS:T darker yet, but even BG 1 wasn't as light-hearted as you're trying to make it out to be.

Also want to add: as soon as I read this news, I came right to this site to read about how this game will suck, be too silly, have some online aspect that will make it a disaster, and how consoles will ruin it. You folks mostly came through! ;)

Yes, this place is dreadful indeed. I'm not even sure why you're still here. I think you might be more comfortable at a forum with a little more tact.

Try here -> https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/larian-is-making-baldurs-gate-iii.127861/

Bloodlines 2 and BG3 announced one after another in short time.. I wasn't expecting this in 2019 :D

I don't think this will be released in 2019...

I would be very surprised to see this new game even next year, unless they've known about this internally for quite some time and have already started some serious work on it. The following year would be my guess for launch.

I don't think this will be released in 2019…
It won't be, but I'm pretty sure that isn't what he meant. Just the announcements themselves are surprising.

I believe they said BG3 is 2020 or 2021.

Seems good. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Am I insane to want it to be 1st Edition AD&D too? I haven't cared for D&D since 3.5 days...

Am I insane to want it to be 1st Edition AD&D too? I haven't cared for D&D since 3.5 days…

I would love that. I grew up on that system back in the day. But alas, I don't think that will ever happen for a modern rpg these days.

I don't believe that WotC would permit any of the really old versions of D&D to be used anymore; they're not just retired, but dead and buried!! :)

I would love that. I grew up on that system back in the day. But alas, I don't think that will ever happen for a modern rpg these days.

They have already said it will be "5th Edition D&D" because that is what WotC is building and promoting nowadays.

from the venture beat interview, who, thank Christ, actually asked about the combat system:
“When it comes to the combat system, we prefer to show it to people rather than talk about it. That will hammer it home. But it will still be some time before we actually show it.”
Does not fill me with confidence at all. To me it screams, We're trying something new and "innovative" and we know already we're going to get huge pushback.

from the venture beat interview, who, thank Christ, actually asked about the combat system:

Does not fill me with confidence at all. To me it screams, We're trying something new and "innovative" and we know already we're going to get huge pushback.

Well, in that case people are pissed either way even if they are not doing anything new.
DOS2 players are disappointed if it doesnt have TB combat and BG Fans are disappointed if it doesnt have RTwP.

So...even the status quo would be "bad". On the other hand I'd like to see something new. For example a clear "beat" or "tick" system would be fine to me. That would be a RTwP mode where you can pause, but it doesn't have any advantage if you pause more than once per "beat"/"tick".

Same here. I don't believe they can come up with something nobody has ever thought of and it's even funner than turn-based.

I found it irritating from the very beginning we did not hear anything about the combat system. I just hope they didn't reinvent simultaneous turns. I'd hate that.

Scaling was very significant in BG2 though. As an example, depending on the order you do quests you either fight a couple of skeleton warriors or a lich :)

Scaling done in a way that makes sense in-world is fine by me. If the menace of the undead is steadily growing in the land, then it's only to be expected that whichever order you visit the ruins in, the third will have more powerful undead than the first did.

What really puts me off is when level scaling is purely mechanical and has no internal logic. When you level up in Skyrim, and all of a sudden all the Nord city guardsmen in Whiterun are sporting brand new suits of elven armor … not a fan of that.

The fact that BG2 had level scaling done unobtrusively and well is no defense for games that implement it clumsily and nonsensically.

I grew up on that system [1st ed AD&D] back in the day.

As did I. Which is why I know it well enough to never want to play it again!

3.5/Pathfinder is the best version for CRPGs, but I'll reserve judgment on 5e until I see what Larian can do with it.

Scaling was very significant in BG2 though. As an example, depending on the order you do quests you either fight a couple of skeleton warriors or a lich :)

As far as I know BG had no level scaling and BG2 was changing encounter difficulty in few areas. Most of the game was not affected. Would call it rather subtle then significant.

It can not work. UgoIgo players are stranded in their skillsets. They cant play something else. They can not up their skills.

It must be fundamentally UgoIgo, or as low as an entry point.
Jet fighters are not designed with pilots who struggle to fly a Cesna plane in mind.

UgoIgo is their core audience and they wont developp any kind of skillsets to play something else. They are stuck.

It can not work. UgoIgo players are stranded in their skillsets. They cant play something else. They can not up their skills.

It must be fundamentally UgoIgo, or as low as an entry point.
Jet fighters are not designed with pilots who struggle to fly a Cesna plane in mind.

UgoIgo is their core audience and they wont developp any kind of skillsets to play something else. They are stuck.

Ugo Igo:

FORyAGd.jpghttp:

E2niuwj.png

Back
Top Bottom