What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Anybody else watch The Lobster? It was quite possibly the strangest movie I've ever seen and yet people seem to love it. I suppose it has a lot of social commentary metaphors, but found them to be pretty ham-fisted.

The plot itself feels like somebody made a script out of their fever dream.

No but a friend of mine recommended it yesterday as being totally crazy but not without logic. And I know you're not him, so it must be one of those coincidences that mean...
I'll find it and watch it ASAP.

Eh, anyone watched that new Independence day...going to cinema tomorrow and I'll be damned if I'll spend another two hours listening to some romantic blubbering.
Seems everyone hates it, but it can't be that bad.

I watched Batman vs Superman, for some reason. It follows the general trend of these films - a bad story with a bad script, decorated with decent actors, and concluded, in the absence of drama, with a solid hour of clangorous CGI arse-ache.

At this point, these movies feel less like a guilty pleasure, and more of an embarrassment for watching.

saw Enter the Dragon on the big screen tonite at a local theater w/ a small crowd.

Amazing film that holds up so well, to this day. Bruce Lee's fight choreography is zero-fat, there is no chop socky filler. He doesnt need it, every strike carries weight and looks effective. Good cast of characters.

Great flick, that theater should've been packed instead of for some crap like Tarzan

watch Swamp Shark today, a mostly lamentable affair

Sharknado however, that was on directly afterward, is a pretty good intentionally awful film. Lots of laugh out loud moments.
Cassie Scerbo, where have you been my entire life? (besides playing rpgs)
What a babe!

Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead. A documentary about the history of the National Lampoon. Great material covering the various lunatics behind the marvellously subversive and offensive magazine. Shows up a lot of the 'edgy' internet humour for the tired crap it is. They were doing it better 40 years ago.

Particularly liked the Lemmings, their spoof rock band with John Belushi and the guy behind Spinal Tap.

Last edited:
For the Love of Spock. God knows, most Trek fandom stuff, and celebrity bios in general, are awful, but this was actually pretty good. A really interesting guy, and they do a decent job of covering his life, albeit with the obligatory sentimental excess.

Anybody else watch The Lobster? It was quite possibly the strangest movie I've ever seen and yet people seem to love it. I suppose it has a lot of social commentary metaphors, but found them to be pretty ham-fisted.

The plot itself feels like somebody made a script out of their fever dream.

Lobster, strange for the sake of being strange. Nothing new here...

I watched Batman vs Superman, for some reason. It follows the general trend of these films - a bad story with a bad script, decorated with decent actors, and concluded, in the absence of drama, with a solid hour of clangorous CGI arse-ache.

At this point, these movies feel less like a guilty pleasure, and more of an embarrassment for watching.

I will say this is by far the best movie with anything to do with superman. Though I feel most of that was for me was because Ben Affleck as batman was better than I thought that hack could do.

Jesse Eisenberg as always stole the show and if he was not in this movie it wouldn't have been watchable.

The Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

Taika Waititi did it again. This movie is what I love in movies,. Creative, fresh and what HW movies lack.

It is nothing like his last movies"What we do in the shadows" another amazing movie. Which makes this movie even better.

Watched the second half of a movie called Consenting Adults. Kevin Spacey plays the villain. Pretty great movie that sucked me in immediately. I feel like Nicolas Cage could have been excellent in this movie as well.

Being a big fan of Viggo Mortensen, I saw Captain Fantastic. Very nice and inspiring movie. Recommended.

I started to watch that l last night and it seemed like a great movie. I will start it from the beginning and do a full watch later this weekend. (was to sleepy and fell asleep).

Back
Top Bottom