Larian Studios - RPG Player Survey

Perhaps they are going for two games. Like Divinity 3, using the DOS engine and something else, maybe more of a strategy game. Swen is a real Axis and Allies fan.

Great survey and enjoyed filling it out. Always nice to say dislike to turn based combat and co-op.

I voted neutral for both TB and RT combats and love for RTwP. I just think TB combat takes up way too much time; it's so disruptive to enjoy plot sometimes or it's time to log off for the night after just 1-2 battles.

I wonder if they'll publish the results of the survey or keep it to themselves.

Perhaps they are going for two games. Like Divinity 3, using the DOS engine and something else, maybe more of a strategy game. Swen is a real Axis and Allies fan.

Yeah, didn't they open up a second studio in Canada awhile back?

Sawyer will find a way to balance the needs of turn based and RtwP players.

Anyway, this reminds me need to jump into Dragon Knight, had it for a while.

There was definitely a suspiciously high amount of coop-related questions in that survey. I wonder if that means they want to expand their coop focus (hopefully not) or dial back on the whole thing (hopefully yes :biggrin: ).

A strategy game would almost be a natural choice given the current engine and their tools. With a bit of reworking and reskinning they could quite easily do something along the lines of Xcom, King's Bounty/Endless Legend/HoMM or Jagged Alliance etc.

Personally, I would also love a DKS sequel but I'm not sure if Larian is big enough to compete properly with the big guys.
And I don't think that Swen even wants to. He has pretty much never even mentioned DKS again in recent years. It seems like a project they hated because of all the publisher shenanigans.

With a 3rd person action RPG, it would also be inevitable to constantly get compared to Witcher 3, Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War, DAI (or the next DA that is probably not too far away) etc. etc.
They might be able to occupy the same niche as e.g. PB with Risen/Elex but it's risky. The general action RPG crowd is quite demanding (visuals, presentation, cutscenes and so on) so production would not be cheap if you really want to leave an impression.

The much safer route would be to stick to D:OS sequels and branch out into tactical games since the framework is already (mostly) there.
Or try their luck at a little RTS resurgence? The millions of players who used to love C&C and AoE must still be out there somewhere and waiting for the right game. All they have at the moment is AotS and Total War sequels so there should be enough room for a C&C-/AoE-like RTS.

Personally, I would also love a DKS sequel but I'm not sure if Larian is big enough to compete properly with the big guys.
And I don't think that Swen even wants to. He has pretty much never even mentioned DKS again in recent years. It seems like a project they hated because of all the publisher shenanigans.

With a 3rd person action RPG, it would also be inevitable to constantly get compared to Witcher 3, Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War, DAI (or the next DA that is probably not too far away) etc. etc.
They might be able to occupy the same niche as e.g. PB with Risen/Elex but it's risky. The general action RPG crowd is quite demanding (visuals, presentation, cutscenes and so on) so production would not be cheap if you really want to leave an impression.
I remember watching video interviews were Swen talked about the failure of DKS, and working with publishers. He even mentioned DKS almost bankrupted the developer.

Though they still might make another game like it given they do have the resources now.
TThe much safer route would be to stick to D:OS sequels and branch out into tactical games since the framework is already (mostly) there.
Or try their luck at a little RTS resurgence? The millions of players who used to love C&C and AoE must still be out there somewhere and waiting for the right game. All they have at the moment is AotS and Total War sequels so there should be enough room for a C&C-/AoE-like RTS.
There was plenty of RTS games released in the last few years, but sadly most weren't big hits. So I would love a resurgence of more games like Command & Conquer.

Nah, I don't buy that. If they can make a profit with an isometric game featuring turn-based combat, then I have no doubt they can do the same with a third-person action RPG.

Instead of relying on a publisher like last time, they can go for partial crowdfunding like they did with the OS series. I'm pretty sure a sequel to DKS would draw a considerable amount of funding.

Now if it comes down to developer preference on the other hand, there's obviously nothing we can do about that. Personally, I think it'll be a real shame if DKS never gets a proper sequel though.

They don't have to compete with the big guys anymore than PB has to compete with Bethsoft or CDPR - at least not directly. They're making a different kind of game - even if it's in the same subgenre, and that would go for DKS as well.

Now, personally, I found DKS pretty decent - but I would actually prefer a better version of D:OS - especially because of the cooperative focus. It's pretty much the best cooperative implementation I've ever seen in a multiplayer CRPG.

If only they could stop focusing on the humor and endless combat - and expand the other options. For instance, they could really stand to improve their loot design.

Well, there is quite a difference as PB's only risk is that they might not get any additional jobs from THQ Nordic* but the financial risk lies solely with THQ Nordic for Elex.

Swen OTOH would have to bet a considerable chunk of the whole company on the -from scratch- development of a 3rd person action RPG that he may not even be too keen about and which he may not have the right people for at the moment.

You would probably want lots of people on board who have shipped crossplatform games with a popular third party engine like e.g. Unreal engine and with experience for a project like that. It's been quite a while since DKS so last gen experience from back then -if the people are even still at Larian- may not be too valuable today.

So, if this ever happens at all… well, maybe at their Quebec gig (with access to nearby Montreal talent from Ubi et al) if and when the company has grown tenfold in size and the Quebec office becomes all but independent.

It would be unfortunate if they never did a game in the same vein as DKS (I even liked the flying parts :) ) but Swen's interests seem to be more in the isometric, tactical/strategical games and multiplayer.
I mean the company's first game was a RTS and Swen was always a fan of experimenting with AI etc. and AFAIK their "luxury" project, i.e. the game he kind of always wanted to make regardless of how well it would sell was Dragon Commander so that's where his enthusiasm lies.

At the end of the day enthusiasm seems to play a large role for Swen. Just look at all the videos of him promoting D:OS. The enthusiasm is as fun as infectious and probably also a major reason for the success of these rather niche games. His marketing is brilliant because of his personality.
Even seasoned console mag editors will certainly remember a visit to any Larian booth where Swen is showing off the game. How can they not write a positive article of such a memorable experience even if the game isn't the latest Assassin's Creed or even if they did not understand 10% of the stuff Swen was blitz-talking at them?

Anyway, it is this very enthusiasm that I have never seen when he mentioned DKS or generally 3rd person action RPGs. He doesn't seem to be a big fan of such games so I doubt it will happen. Larian are currently in the super-luxurious position to make the games they want to make and not the ones they have to make to stay afloat.
I'm afraid that a DKS-like game is low on their "wants" list due to a mix of lack of enthusiasm, risk aversion and (current) lack of people who could even pull it off properly.

* BTW, Björn Pankratz revealed in a YT Q&A session this month that he has recently pitched the next post-Elex project. Unfortunately (but also naturally), he did not yet reveal to whom or what the project would be so it could be an "internal" pitch to whoever is calling the shots at THQ Nordic or a different/new publisher.

Very interesting analysis.

But it doesn't change the point about not having to compete directly with the big boys :)

I'm not generally a fan of 3rd person games (although there are exceptions like Dark Souls). I tried dks but it didn't click with me. D:OS is one of my favourite games of recent years though, so anything like that I'd buy without hesitation. But I'd b basically be interested in anything they do that isn't an mmo, as long as they don't go down a cut-scene heavy route. I'd much rather have my time wrapped up in TB battles than cinematics…

Ideally, would love to see crossover between Dragon Age and DOS...Dragon Divinity?
Leave mechanics as it is, tone down goofiness a bit, but bring more personal feel to world and characters.

I wonder if they'll publish the results of the survey or keep it to themselves.

They will be publishing the result of the survey.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/6o22el/rpg_player_survey/
Hello!

My name is Kieron. At Larian Studios we’ve been making RPGs for twenty years, and after all this time we think we know our community pretty well. But we’d like to check if what we think we know corresponds with the reality, so we’ve created a little survey. We’d really appreciate it if you could help.

The survey is here: Survey

I’ve created a brief FAQ below, and I’m very happy to answer questions in the comments.

Cheers! Kieron

How long will the survey take? The survey will take roughly seven minutes.

Who is the survey for? Anyone who is a fan of RPG games.

Will you share the results? Yes! We’ll post the results right here. We look forward to the discussion!

Is there an incentive to fill out the survey? We’re giving away ten $50 and forty $20 Steam gift cards. To enter the draw, just submit your name and email address at the end of the survey.

Edit: Entries to the draw will close on Sunday 23rd of July, 6pm (GMT+1)

It would be unfortunate if they never did a game in the same vein as DKS (I even liked the flying parts :) ) but Swen's interests seem to be more in the isometric, tactical/strategical games and multiplayer.

I agree with the first sentence. BTW interesting is that core DKS gameplay seems to be pretty good concept for 3D open world "mainstream-like" ARPG with dragons. Because that flying part is logical excuse for a lot of empty landscape, elegant "fast travel" and also big attraction for many action/MMO fans who are eager to ride a dragon in other games. Now they would be dragons themselves.

They just need good story, reasonable budget and size of the world (not too big), better combat system for RPG (human) gameplay than in DKS and some search/fly mechanics for dragon gameplay - imagine that you get some quest to fnd someone and you will just fly there and watch from above or follow someone to find your VIP.

I dont say Larian should go mainstream - no. I just say that their DKS concept seems to be pretty good to do this kind of game.

* BTW, Björn Pankratz revealed in a YT Q&A session this month that he has recently pitched the next post-Elex project.

Which YT Q&A ?

Which YT Q&A ?

Whoooops, sorry, when looking up the link, I just realized it was Twitch and not YT :) .

Anyway, Björn was invited to a looooooong BBQ Q&A session for NerdStarTV (it is starting at around the 24:30 mark and is about 3 hours long).

Please don't ask me to look up the exact point in time when he said that the post-Elex project has already been pitched but it is definitely somewhere in the nearly three hours of Q&A.
Again: He did not specify to whom he pitched it or what the project would be. Just that he pitched something to someone to (hopefully) be able to feed the Piranhas post-Elex. That was all.

Other than the above info, the rest of the Q&A was remarkably boring (same old questions... "how did you get into game development?" blahblahblah... same old shit ;) ).

The only other minor tidbits I found interesting were the fact that he wrote the Elex soundtrack all by himself with no outside help in approximately six months (out of a three year dev cycle). He composed it during after work hours in his home studio upstairs and it was apparently quite challenging because of the mix of sci-fi and fantasy themes in the game.

Secondly, I also thought it was quite interesting how positive he spoke about Gothic. He used to kind of cringe every time when he was asked a question about Gothic in the past and even made plenty of fun of the games but in this Q&A he was -at least to me- surprisingly embracing of Gothic (could it be that the "new" pitch is a Gothic reboot/remaster/re-whatever?).
I don't want to get anyone's hopes up over nothing but it piqued my interest momentarily when he was full of praise instead of his usual little jabs about how ancient and crappy Gothic is by today's standards.

P.S.: I've seen your PM and will get to it tomorrow evening EU time :) . I'm currently on vacation in Switzerland with slow-ish internet. I can better answer your question when I'm back at home tomorrow with better bandwidth.

Ideally, would love to see crossover between Dragon Age and DOS...Dragon Divinity?
Leave mechanics as it is, tone down goofiness a bit, but bring more personal feel to world and characters.
That would be DOS 2 if you believe them.

Back
Top Bottom