Realms Beyond - Kickstarter Soon

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
This game is turn-based, somewhat "Ultima-like" in its perspective and has absolutely amazing OLD SCHOOL-style particle effects, which look rich!! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG !!! My blood is so hot for this one! So I have only one thing to say to the devs:
- Shut up, and take my money!!!!!

The timing in this video is excellent. All the mood-raising, blood-boiling effects are in place. The fantasto-blastic triumphant laughter, the exhilaratingly detailed Fireball Symphony of a particle effect. The music. AaaaAAAAAAaaaahhhh

Might be a good time for the Kickstarter. A whole lot of people seem to have bought and actually played Kingmaker. I wonder if the public at large will make the leap to turn based. I sure will, but it's not much of a leap for me. They did with Original Sin.

I think the time is maybe not the best, but videos of this game are so sexy (like art style more than POE and Pathfinder, 3.5 SRD, hex-grid) so I believe a lot into it (and will definitely back it).

This game is turn-based, somewhat "Ultima-like" in its perspective and has absolutely amazing OLD SCHOOL-style particle effects, which look rich!! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG !!! My blood is so hot for this one! So I have only one thing to say to the devs:
- Shut up, and take my money!!!!!

Wow. Never heard of this game before, but I'm in just based on this gushing endorsement! Don't let me down, Mercy.

Not a big fan of turn-based combat in RPGs but in other genres I have no problem. Still if a game is good and this does look promising I don't mind. So it has my money already.

I prefer RTwP but also don't mind TB. Looking forward to see more info in kickstarter :)

Hopefully they've learned from the other Kickstarters: don't over-promise on the new features and stay conservative on the physical goods.

If they style the campaign correctly, they could really score big here. While that could be said of many projects, these folks may be in a semi-unique position here to capitalize on the perfect blend of a turn based, classic-style role playing computer game. We'll see what they do with this opportunity.

I don't think they'll set the goal very high, but... the only thing I worry about is that we're getting close to the holiday season when people are going to be spending their spare $ on gifts / travel rather than crowdfunding. I can think of a few KS games that should have made it but had poor timing (like Guido Henkel's Deathfire).

I don't think they'll set the goal very high, but… the only thing I worry about is that we're getting close to the holiday season when people are going to be spending their spare $ on gifts / travel rather than crowdfunding. I can think of a few KS games that should have made it but had poor timing (like Guido Henkel's Deathfire).

Yeah, probably not a good idea. Unless they're hurting for money, it'd probably be better to wait until early next year to do the Kickstarter and work on getting the word out about the game before then. I've seen plenty of promising-looking projects fail simply because not enough people actually knew about them. =(

Yeah, probably not a good idea. Unless they're hurting for money, it'd probably be better to wait until early next year to do the Kickstarter and work on getting the word out about the game before then. I've seen plenty of promising-looking projects fail simply because not enough people actually knew about them. =(

Yeah, it all depends on their needs and expectations. Since they're not a known developer and it's not an established IP they're probably not going to get much media coverage beyond the Watch and Codex. Might be enough though if they aren't looking for over $100K.

Ceres has mentioned they're considering release of a combat demo but it wasn't clear whether or not they'll do that during the Kickstarter (which would be ideal).

I think their target audience will be limited to old cRPG gamers. I reckon anything past $100k is too ambious as an initial goal. Tbh I don't know whether holiday/xmas will have that much impact on the funding. For one, usually devs have low tier pledges and some may people be willing to spend a few hundred as gift to themselves.

Yeah, it all depends on their needs and expectations. Since they're not a known developer and it's not an established IP they're probably not going to get much media coverage beyond the Watch and Codex. Might be enough though if they aren't looking for over $100K.

I think their target audience will be limited to old cRPG gamers. I reckon anything past $100k is too ambious as an initial goal. Tbh I don't know whether holiday/xmas will have that much impact on the funding. For one, usually devs have low tier pledges and some may people be willing to spend a few hundred as gift to themselves.
If Pathfinder: Kingmaker got over 900K on Kickstarter, I don't know why these guys should only expect 100K. Nothing's hugely different between the two projects other than Chris Avellone's name associated with Kingmaker. Maybe I'm missing something?

If anything, the long-term plans for Realms Beyond are probably more ambitious than anything's that's been stated for Kingmaker so far: https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061527074&postcount=10

If Pathfinder: Kingmaker got over 900K on Kickstarter, I don't know why these guys should only expect 100K. Nothing's hugely different between the two projects other than Chris Avellone's name associated with Kingmaker. Maybe I'm missing something?

If anything, the long-term plans for Realms Beyond are probably more ambitious than anything's that's been stated for Kingmaker so far: https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061527074&postcount=10
P:KM had a pathfinder community behind it.
These guys don't have that.

Archangel is right.
If you launch a campaign with the great Pathfinder IP attached, it's a different story.
But Pathfinder:Kingmaker is nevertheless a good thing for us because OwlCatGames proved that (some) Kickstarter campaigns still deliver good products.

Ok, back to work, the last hours...

Back
Top Bottom