Age of Decadence - Review Roundup

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here is a small roundup of Age of Decadence reviews.

Hardcore Casual

As I said at the beginning, AoD is an incredible game if you are looking for something that really challenges you, and pushes you outside the familiar RPG realm. The demo on Steam is the first big town, and is more than enough to give you a great feel for the game. Give it a try, stick with it past the initial confusion/difficulty, and you will be rewarded with a very unique, very entertaining experience.
Syfy Games, 9

Age of Decadence is a game about the fragility of memory, the separation of reality and fable, political scheming and the possible futility of ordered existence. It masterfully weaves these themes into the writing and the gameplay to create an imaginative world with the power to captivate for hours on end. Age of Decadence has been a long time in the making (a whole decade), but it’s shaped out to be one of the most distinct RPGs of the year, and one that will certainly captivate the imagination.
A first impression review video:

And from the man who likes words and an opinion Richard Cobbett at RPS we get his impressions:

After what seems like forever, but has really just been ages, Age of Decadence [official site] is out and ready to kick your arse/ass (delete according to your ability to pronounce ‘aluminium’). I’ve not had much time to put into it myself yet, but I’m looking forward to doing so, not least because of the promise of not being your usual combat heavy RPG. There’s combat, but also plenty of scope for talking your way out of problems, as well as a cast not all patterned after the knight that can only tell the truth from that tiresome logic puzzle. You know. Towers of Hanoi.
More information.

No offense meant for the developer, since its clear as day that they sunk colossal work into this, but:
- I found Age of Decadence extremely limiting and constricting adventuring with the first thief mission (go and steal items from a house), where you can infiltrate no house really, instead the game gives you dialog screen-popups how the mission went.. WTF?
- The UI is cumbersome and not fun at all.
- I should be able to pickpocket NPC-s, whenever I walk near them
- Camera movement control is less than okay
- Graphics is merely at acceptable level.

Developers, Come on, man!

Maybe one should concentrate on what the game is, and not what one wants it to be...

At GENWire AoD scored: 6/10

While the combat sounds interesting, the actual animations completely undermine the experience. It is fair to say that you should not play the Age of Decadence expecting a pretty game, as you will be utterly disappointed. The characters move like wooden dolls, void of any fluid motion and realistic movement. It is a bore to watch, and you will be thankful when combat is eventually over, even though it will likely be because you have died.

The game's environments don't fare any better, consisting of horrid textures that would look bad in games 10 years ago, let alone today. Despite having all graphics options on max, the Age of Decadence was damn ugly and this really undermined the experience that Iron Tower Studio were aiming for. For every great piece of dialogue that immersed you in the well thought out narrative and lore, an unsightly visual would take you away from the experience.

Conclusion

The Age of Decadence does a lot right. The well crafted world, brought to life through excellent character dialogue and general writing, alongside the good use of choices to define your experience, prove a good lesson for even the more established role playing games on the market. The developers clearly spent a lot of time considering this approach. These quality aspects of the game would be most welcomed in the likes of the Elder Scrolls series, whose own implementation often comes across as immaterial and frivolous. However, the Age of Decadence can not stand shoulder-to-shoulder with its AAA brethren, whose visual style and quality completely outshine this RPG and prove to provide a more well rounded experience. If you enjoy a very traditional RPG that encourages you take things at a much slower pace, then this game is for you. However, if you want more action, stay well away.

unfortunately i dropped from the game.
started as a lore master. first city was fine, second meh, and by the third i was so bored i killed myself.

really, the game seems to become more empty as you progress. dont know if its a bug or something, but after a while it became linear, and .. repetitive.

i think ive uncovered 80% of the map.. and its chaotic.

ill probably do a rerun with a fighting path, but .. not this year.

Last edited:
Maybe one should concentrate on what the game is, and not what one wants it to be…

I think that mercy concentrated exactly on what you suggested us to concentrate.

I've got 70 hours in the game now and I still enjoy it.

So, for me it was worth the cash/credit :)

I can understand why it doesn't appeal to everyone and that's what it is.
Not everyone will like every game.

I'm playing two characters simultaneously: a lore master and a mercenary. The game's huge strength is how it weaves together an interesting story from multiple perspectives. There are multiple factions in the game and who you start out as depends which one you can join, and this has a huge impact on how events unfold. I actually think combat is also fairly well done, though it is time consuming and very, very difficult (Has anyone beaten the mine guards in combat?). Playing a non combat character feels like playing a visual novel RPG, which is ok if you don't mind doing lots of reading and having little action. I find the very awkward movement the worst problem, and spend most of the time autotravelling. Mercy's comments about the graphics and camera are also unfortunately accurate. As Pladio says the gameplay is not for everyone, but how this game approaches stories and choices makes it clear why it took 10 years to complete, and why it will probably never be attempted again.

I'm playing two characters simultaneously: a lore master and a mercenary. The game's huge strength is how it weaves together an interesting story from multiple perspectives. There are multiple factions in the game and who you start out as depends which one you can join, and this has a huge impact on how events unfold. I actually think combat is also fairly well done, though it is time consuming and very, very difficult (Has anyone beaten the mine guards in combat?). Playing a non combat character feels like playing a visual novel RPG, which is ok if you don't mind doing lots of reading and having little action. I find the very awkward movement the worst problem, and spend most of the time autotravelling. Mercy's comments about the graphics and camera are also unfortunately accurate. As Pladio says the gameplay is not for everyone, but how this game approaches stories and choices makes it clear why it took 10 years to complete, and why it will probably never be attempted again.

Don't forget to poison the guards ... And you should be able to heal up after the first combat with some healing salves.

- Graphics is merely at acceptable level.
Developers, Come on, man!
That's a really odd comment for this site. The graphics certainly are outdated, but how many people here are going to be put off by the graphics in an RPG that is still isometric and 3D?

Divinity had gorgeous graphics, Wasteland 2 had great environments. They were also both tired and dull to me. It's like the difference between picking up a Glock and a Nerf gun. Wow, this Nerf gun is so colorful and light, and easy to handle! I guess it depends what you're looking for.

A game that requires replayability to enjoy. I rarely if ever replay a game. Too many games, not enough time. Mostly, when I played the demo, I didn't like how stupid the game worked so hard to make you feel. 'oh you tried to do that thing that you don't have enough skill points in? Dumbass, stop experimenting and trying to have fun and know your limitations.'

I'm playing two characters simultaneously: a lore master and a mercenary. .

hows ur loremaster? as i said. i find the game empty all of a sudden after reaching second city. and im really scared i broke the scripts with my play style. i tend to go all over the place .. and there are no quests at all , no options at all. its like first city gives u all the options, then u get stuck on a path.. which is boring

There are 22 locations and over 100 quests. There are plenty of options in the second city, if anything that's where the game opens up. However, these options are never in your face, so maybe that's the issue.

Lol it's pathetic. "It doesn't look as good as Skyrim, 6/10"
Seriously?
So per their criteria QTEfest Order 1886 that definetly looks better than Skyrim is 20/10, maybe more?

I'm waiting for a day when I'll see somewhere "it's not as buggy as Skyrim, 10/10". Or "unlike Skyrim, this game actually has a story, 10/10".
I'm not saying graphics whoring is something bad, if it didn't exist we would never see graphics improvements in games, but hell it's RPG, a genre where graphics is not the #1 importance.

For me graphics need to be good enough to immerse. AoD for me is on the edge here.

It's okay but you're not working as pro critic and writing an article with a score.
Deliberately cutting down the score of a RPG because it's graphics is not 3D Studio Max realtime 60FPS engine should be a huge no.
Upping a score somewhat because of fancy graphics, that's understandable, but vice versa? That's IMO irresponsible.
I wonder if that same critic said that Minecraft is 6/10 because "doesn't look as good as Skyrim". And will that same critic say for upcoming games "hair in this game is not as good as in TW3, 6/10".

There are 22 locations and over 100 quests. There are plenty of options in the second city, if anything that's where the game opens up. However, these options are never in your face, so maybe that's the issue.

22 locations in 2nd city? 100 quests? WTF. i onyl saw 4, and walked through the whole city. i sent u the savefile and didnt get a reply (assuming u work for iront)

22 locations/over 100 quests in the entire game. I saw your email but didn't have a chance to go through it yet (overloaded at the moment).

Back
Top Bottom