Colony Ship RPG - Party System

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Vince talks about the party system in Iron Tower Studios' next big RPG, which is currently named Colony Ship RPG, using references to movies.

Typically, RPG party members serve a purely tactical role, giving your more bodies to control in combat and access to different combat abilities. In a sense, you’re role-playing an entire squad as outside of combat there is very little (if any) difference between the character you created and the characters you’ve recruited or created next.

It works great in RPGs that are mostly about combat, but calls for a different approach when it comes to non-combat gameplay. The main problem is that party members offer nothing but combat benefits (occasionally, freaky sex to relieve combat stress and party banter), giving you very few reasons to treat party members any differently than the main character.

In short, the problem is that in most RPGs party members are mindless zombies lacking any free will, agenda, goals, etc – the very qualities that separate an actual “character” from a zombie. Thus, our main design goal is to create proper characters that have a will of their own, as well as agendas, beliefs, goals, and other infuriating qualities.
More information.

Last edited:
There are games with such a characters in quite a few J-RPG's for example.

Still I totally agree that such a characters will be nice.

The only problem I forsee with NPC's that do their own thing, is that .... I don't want them too.

I got really frustrated in Wasteland series when randomly dumb PC's decide to rush in "because this is how you fight!"... then dies. It just called for a reload, not any sort of challenge, just a pain in the ass. They never made good decisions when they did their own thing, it was usually the worst decision it could have made.

I'd love to see independent NPC party members however it would need incredible AI or, more likely, be heavily scripted.

I got really frustrated in Wasteland series when randomly dumb PC's decide to rush in "because this is how you fight!"… then dies. It just called for a reload, not any sort of challenge, just a pain in the ass. They never made good decisions when they did their own thing, it was usually the worst decision it could have made.

I'm not sure (and I just posted over there to ask Vince), but I think we still have full party control during combat - within the parameters/constraints outlined in the OP (e.g., the method of affecting/upgrading party members' equipment). So we shouldn't face the situation you're describing, thank goodness.

I'd love to see independent NPC party members however it would need incredible AI or, more likely, be heavily scripted.
Heavily scripted, of course, which is time consuming but relatively easy to do. You'll control the party members in combat and scripts will handle their interactions with you before and after combat.

I'm in. I think a colony ship is a great setting for an RPG. Look forward to interesting, reactive characters, and I hope the combat is as good as AoD's.

I'm in. I think a colony ship is a great setting for an RPG. Look forward to interesting, reactive characters, and I hope the combat is as good as AoD's.

Ditto.

Any word on how work is progressing on the AoD-based Dungeon Crawler?

We'll introduce the dungeon crawler when we have the first screens and videos. Unlike the colony ship RPG there isn't much to explain there and everyone knows what to expect.

Nick's working on the party system. Oscar is working on the levels. I'm working on 'quests' and dialogues (level 1 text is almost done). Ivan is making creatures (2 creatures are done, working on the third one, then he'll tweak the Hellgate's construct a bit). We're also working on breaking down armor to go with 5 items: helmet, left arm, right arm, torso, legs. You'll be able to combine different pieces and have a lot more leather pieces. That's about it for now.

Nice! Thanks for the update, Vince.

Now that we have you here, are there any more updates in the pipeline for AoD itself? ;)

Not in the near future, unless you count optimization (testing x64 version now) and bug fixes. Most likely we'll do a final content update in the summer, after I finish all crawler's dialogues.

Back
Top Bottom