What are you reading?

I finished the Power that Preserves last night, every time I complete this trilogy I'm reminded of just how good and satisfying a story can be. Even without the subsequent books that would follow later, Donaldson created a living, breathing world that stands up to the test of time even today. There are a few better stories around, but not many.

Next up for me will be Tricked, book four of the Iron Druid Chronicles.

I finished the Power that Preserves last night, every time I complete this trilogy I'm reminded of just how good and satisfying a story can be. Even without the subsequent books that would follow later, Donaldson created a living, breathing world that stands up to the test of time even today. There are a few better stories around, but not many.

I finished it this morning, and yeah, it's an incredible work. I'm looking forward to reading the second trilogy again soon. It's been close to a decade since I last read it.

I think The Illearth War is my favorite in the first chronicles. I really like The Power that Preserves as well, but there's always been one thing I never quite understood..

I don't really get what happened to Lord Foul at the end. I wish that had been better explained.

Last edited:
I started reading Worm, a web serial about super humans, told from the point of view of a 16 year old girl who can control bugs. So far my eyes have started bleeding because it's fairly addicting and I can't stop reading.

The serial is very long (about 3x the size of the LotR trilogy) but I split it into 5 virtual books for myself so I can decide to read something else in between if I want.

Last edited:
I was flipping through a Planescape bestiary, almost compelled me to do my own NWN mod for it. Would need art assets and such, though, just for monsters really, and I did write some of the dialogue but ended up shelving it for now. Still waiting on the other 2 of the 3 PS bestiaries to come in the mail, and picked up the 3.5 Magic Item Compendium. Again, it was in plans to do a module but that probably won't happen. Not much for reading material there, but eh, some stuff in there is kinda cool. :)

JDR, I've always thought that Foul simply got reset, just like what happened after High Lord Kevin finished the Desecration. I would agree that Donaldson left it quite vague, and I could be totally wrong on my thoughts for the ending of the first trilogy.

JDR, I've always thought that Foul simply got reset, just like what happened after High Lord Kevin finished the Desecration. I would agree that Donaldson left it quite vague, and I could be totally wrong on my thoughts for the ending of the first trilogy.

Yeah, I think reset is a good way of looking at it. In 'The Wounded Land', he tells Covenant that he was diminished in power to the point that it took him a "score of centuries" to begin to act again. I still don't exactly get how they caused it to happen though. I mean…I do but I don't. :)

I just started reading the second chronicles.

Again, simply a guess on my part but perhaps the Creator had a built-in stipulation like that into his cosmos. If you take a run at dominating the entire planet and fail, you regress to amoeba capabilities for a few centuries! =)

A score of centuries? Are you guys sure you aren't talking about @Corwin;? :D

I was flipping through a Planescape bestiary, almost compelled me to do my own NWN mod for it. Would need art assets and such, though, just for monsters really, and I did write some of the dialogue but ended up shelving it for now. Still waiting on the other 2 of the 3 PS bestiaries to come in the mail, and picked up the 3.5 Magic Item Compendium. Again, it was in plans to do a module but that probably won't happen. Not much for reading material there, but eh, some stuff in there is kinda cool. :)

Update on the Planescape materials. I love that setting, and some of the creatures are really cool. The NWN modkit makes it easy-ish to make a module, and there aren't many (if any) set in Planescape, but it might be too much work. The biggest issue would be art assets for the unique character and creature modules. I don't think many of the Planescape creatures have models that exist, such as the Hollyphant or Aasimar, let alone some of the unique boss creatures I had in mind. Total sidetrack so I'll start a thread in General RPG about this if anyone's interested.

I completed the fourth book of the Iron Druid chronicles some time in the last week or so, maybe while I was in the Toronto or Atlanta airports. Another great entry into the series, his apprentice is coming into her own and getting fleshed out, it will be interesting to see all the ways that these two druids differ. Next up will be the fifth book, then I'll either get my hands on the next in the series or jump back into the Donaldson novels again.

Over yesterday, last night and this morning I knocked out the fifth book of the Iron Druid series, Trapped. We got a lot more detail into his apprentice's growth, as well as learning what forms she'll have access to, and what some of the deities think about her. Another great entry into this series, at some point I'm going to have to buy the first three novels just so I have a complete set in my home!!

Still reading Worm. Still a solid 4/5.

Fan-cover art:

I'm about half-way through and it's in a way just as addicting as Brandon Sanderson's Steelheart series, the only other Superhero books I read so far. I should start reading Wild Cards too at some point… Worm seems darker than Steelheart though and more intimate; the protagonist's (she calls herself Skitter by the way, not Worm) gradual increase in power also feels very natural and she's a thinker and planner (which is in a way similar to Sanderson's characters), coming up with solutions to all sorts of problems within her limitations, which I like. Can't remember the last time I was so engrossed and reading so much in such a short period of time that it even interfered with my work and sleeping patterns.

I put an ebook version of the web serial on my Kindle and split it into five large books, to get a better sense of progress and to not feel overwhelmed (although I'm also reading online a lot). The splits happen after major story events.

Series: Parahuman
Book 1: Skitter (Arc 1-8)
Book 2: Worm (Arc 9-14)
Book 3: Warlord (Arc 15-19)
Book 4: Weaver (Arc 20-25)
Book 5: Khepri (Arc 26-31)

Recommended if you like Superheroes. Make contingency plans for when you are out of order for 2+ weeks. ;)

I'm reading a four book series called The Destroyer by Michael Scott Earle.

Link - http://www.michaelscottearle.com/the-destroyer
After untold centuries of absence, the evil Ancients have returned. Their magic appears unstoppable and their hunger for conquest is insatiable. To protect the country of Nia, Duchess Nadea and Scholar Paug make a desperate journey to find a human legend: A man known to have destroyed these Ancient foes with a powerful army.
Some may not like the books due to some content as the books get pretty dark. I can only recommend these books if you liked Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock.

I read a couple hundred Kindle Unlimited books a year. I've been blasting through tons of books under the litrpg sub-genre of fantasy. I leave tiny blurb reviews if I like the book or really hate it :D

I read a couple hundred Kindle Unlimited books a year. I've been blasting through tons of books under the litrpg sub-genre of fantasy. I leave tiny blurb reviews if I like the book or really hate it :D
Me to can't go wrong with the free books especially the male power fantasy ones. Never thought I'd see the day when adult pulp-fantasy would make a comeback.:biggrin:

I've not heard of Worm before, I'll have to check that one out at some time. Now Steelheart, that one I've heard of and forgotten in the past, I'm just going to buy that next time I see it. Too many people have told me it is worth the time reading for me to ignore it much longer.

I just bought myself today

The Fall Of Gondolin

one of the earliest tales of J.R.R.Tolkien.

I think it is even mentioned in LOTR, but there are very few left in Middlearth at that time who might recound that tale … and even fewer to remember it …

This goes back to the earliest sketches and stories of Tolkien,

and still, its title alone !

sounds in my mind as if something as epic as mournful has happened.

This is one of the rare cases where a title alone is able to stirr or even evoke emotions within me (and hopefully with other readers as well).

"The Fall Of Gondolin" stirrs something in me simolar (perhaps) to :

- The Fall Of Stalingrad
- Pearl Harbour
- The Fall Of The World Trade Towers
- The Great Plundering Of Rome
- The Fall of The Aztecs

This won't be a full tale, but a collection of what was written for and around it.

I just bought myself today

The Fall Of Gondolin

one of the earliest tales of J.R.R.Tolkien.
I still have the Children of Hurin that I want to read, but Tolkien is December reading for me, so he'll have to wait.

I've not heard of Worm before, I'll have to check that one out at some time.
Found it via reddit's r/fantasy 2018 top novels thread. Lots of familiar titles, but Worm was a notable outlier, given that I'd never heard of it before either. It's probably the format (web serial as opposed to published novels). Note that they don't distinguish between Fantasy and Sci-Fi.

Back
Top Bottom