Solasta - New Team Member and Lighting System

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Redglyph spotted a dev-update for Solasta: Crown of the Magister:

Hey there folks!

Today's going to be a shorter article, so strap up and let's get going. Oh but before that, let's welcome our newest team member, Newt :)

[...]

Now that you've all met Newt, let's move on to the main topic: Lighting.

We've been talking about Lighting quite a lot recently after receiving feedback from the community (that's you!), and we've been hard at work to tackle the issues you've brought up. I can safely say that we were quite happy to read your comments on our most recent Dev Update, however we also want to clarify a few things to avoid any misunderstanding.

Monsters Inc.

Some of you mentioned that if we are to buff monsters when they are in the darkness, than the problem would remain the same. Now, you have to keep in mind that we're not just planning to slap some generic buff on any hostile creature sitting in the dark - only a few, selected dwellers from the deep get to enjoy this. It will be part of their identity, not a simple video game gimmick - just like how Vampires regenerate while they aren't exposed to sunlight.

Those who had to fight Aksha know how tough these darkness-loving monsters can be!

Of course we don't necessarily think that we'll hit all the right notes straight from the get go, which is why Early Access is here. Considering how our previous lighting system added a hefty layer of complexity (although not necessarily well explained nor particularly fun to play with), some fights may become way too easy for parties with Darkvision. Monsters who get bonuses while staying in the darkness might end up a bit too strong to deal with at first. We'll be collecting data and feedback from you to make sure we adjust the difficulty properly for the 1.0 release in 2021.

Playing with the Light

Lighting is and will always remain a pillar of Solasta, which means that fighting certain monsters will require you to use light. Yes, even if your entire party has Darkvision. Just like how fighting Trolls with no fire or acid at hand is like shooting yourself in the foot with your hand crossbow, some Solastan monster will be extremely hard to take down if you refuse to shed some light in the darkness. Now the good part is, lighting a torch is something everyone can do!

Jokes aside, we've also taken to heart your comments about how hostile creatures could easily get out of an illuminated area which would lead you to a wild goose chase every round. We're currently testing around with a few new features to combat that, but keep in mind that not all of them may be implemented in the upcoming patches!

[...]
More information.

I've finished my playthroughs for now - so keen to see what they end up doing. The idea of tossing a torch and some new cantrips is good, but that does mean casters have an advantage ...maybe they could have some thrown weapon/grenade (?) that detonates and essentially does what some of the spells do (e.g. razzle dazzle grenade;) Of course, if you can simply get these these spells/items and render darkness irrelevant tactically, then it is somewhat pointless. So there needs to be a cost...sadly when you look at the arguments on the forums some people expect every class to be able to perform equally well in all situations - which was not really the case in conventional D&D. That was the whole point of having a 'rounded party' - some classes are just better suited to roles like buffing etc. I had no problems with the standard rogue/wizard/cleric/fighter party... Sure, if you choose a party of 4 fighters, some things may not be doable or easy - but then you are deliberately choosing to make the game harder for yourself.

when you look at the arguments on the forums some people expect every class to be able to perform equally well in all situations - which was not really the case in conventional D&D. That was the whole point of having a 'rounded party' - some classes are just better suited to roles like buffing etc. I had no problems with the standard rogue/wizard/cleric/fighter party… Sure, if you choose a party of 4 fighters, some things may not be doable or easy - but then you are deliberately choosing to make the game harder for yourself.
Exactly.

That being said, it seems Tactical Adventures also feels it's necessary to tune the original rules so that it's not too easy for races with darkvision. Maybe that could be offset by using the advantages other races benefit from, to avoid changing anything?

By looking that up a little bit, it appears the problem has been voiced before, most races have darkvision so it's almost a disadvantage for races which don't have it. In the currently implemented races it's not so apparent: Hill Dwarves, Snow Dwarves, Half Elves, High Elves, Sylvan Elves (5 races) have darkvision and Humans, Marsh Halflings, Island Halflings (3 races) don't have it. Still, this allows to create almost any class efficiently with the benefit of darkvision, unless one really wants to have one of those 3 classes (which have other advantages).

It seems to be in the grey area. Does that justify tinkering with the rules, which seems to upset a part of this game community? I suppose that if darkness is an important feature for their maps, yes, probably. In any case, I wouldn't be upset by such a small change :) It's nothing in comparison with what Larian has done. But the question remains, where to draw the line, what is acceptable?

Is there anything other than combat related stuff being discussed for this game? Story, lore, tag system maybe?

Seems to be way too combat focused at this point :/

Basically Purps, it's major focus is currently exploration and combat. I think most of the other stuff will eventually be added, but this is EA and it is primarily an ARPG I believe. I still like it!! :)

Basically Purps, it's major focus is currently exploration and combat. I think most of the other stuff will eventually be added, but this is EA and it is primarily an ARPG I believe. I still like it!! :)

That's a little disappointing (for me) - ah well. Still D&D 5e so may try it out when its released.

I watched a few videos and see potential for a good game once it's fully completed. Yes it uses D&D 5e, but doesn't use dice rolls like a certain other unnamed RPG.:p

I might try this game eventually, it doesn't seem half-bad.

Yeah, it's half good but the other half isn't done yet. I really want to see maybe 10 times the content that it has but that seems unlikely with a level cap of 10. :(

Eh? 10x the current content would be a massive game. I don't feel like every RPG needs to be 100+ hours long. I'd be happy with 3 or 4 times what's there now.

ARPG as in Action RPG? If so, not at all. ARPGs usually involves smashing buttons all the time. This game is a tactical turned-based game.

But if you are comparing because of its story, even though the story of Solasta so far is not that long or that great, in some ARPGs the story is practically non-existent with zero choices.

ARPG as in Action RPG? If so, not at all. ARPGs usually involves smashing buttons all the time. This game is a tactical turned-based game.

But if you are comparing because of its story, even though the story of Solasta so far is not that long or that great, in some ARPGs the story is practically non-existent with zero choices.

Maybe the better comparison would be tactical TB strategy?

Is there anything other than combat related stuff being discussed for this game? Story, lore, tag system maybe?

To add a bit to what was already said, here are my impressions on that (after going once through the EA). Hope it's not too long or too subjective ;)

It's a cRPG, with turn-based combat, definitely not action RPG. So akin to BG3 or Pathfinder.

The lore and setting is home-made since they don't have this full D&D licence, they published Q&A posts and a long video on the universe they had to create. Obviously, it isn't as deep and expansive as a D&D or a Pathfinder, but more than enough for the scope of a game, IMHO. This lore is also given to the player during the game, in a short video introduction at the beginning, and through the conversations with NPCs and party members.

The player creates the 4 characters of the party, this isn't the usual pattern of pre-defined companions joining along, though some story NPCs join now and then, temporarily. There are pre-created characters if the player doesn't want to create them all. But as a consequence of this format, there is no "main character", no "you". And there isn't much of a backstory for the party members, per design, so this is mainly limited to banter or comments between party members on the current situation, and on what has been shared between them during the game. At least for now.

In the first hour(s), there isn't much of a story or a main, save-the-world quest. It starts with the party members meeting in a tavern and recounting their last adventure, which is nice excuse to give a short tutorial of the game mechanics and interface: each character has a short mission, alone, more or less tailored to their main abilities (rogue, fighter, wizard, …).

After a while, elements discovered during one of the first quests trigger the main quest story. Only then the dialogs become more focused on the problem at hand and how to solve it, with the addition of more lore and background. In general, there isn't as much to read as in a BG, a NWN or a Pathfinder, I would say it's probably similar to a D:OS.

Story-wise, there is something but I think/hope they will add more to that. It's not very present after the tutorial, so many have the impression it's just combat and exploration. I had a similar impression, then felt there was more to it later, once the main "trigger" was reached. That allows the player to explore, understand how it all works before diving into the more important part.

Obviously my main concern is the backstory and interactions between the NPCs. We'll see how they can put more depth, or if that's not planned at all. Each character has personality traits that steer the dialogs, and each has a "background" (for initial abilities, perhaps more?). Perhaps this can be used to "invent" this backstory, even if the player can actually create each party member individually.

The whole is very well presented, and they introduced very good and original features, so I think they care a lot about the game presentation and the story, the tabletop feeling. I'm pretty sure we'll get enough depth and more will be added in the coming months :) I don't think it will be the same length as a Pathfinder: Kingmaker, though.

Last edited:

I was fighting 80% of the time in Pathfinder. Isn't that your favorite game ever? Solasta has about the same amount as Pathfinder. I skipped many combats using skills. Including some boss fights. I'm not talking about kingdom management either since most here didn't like it.

I was fighting 80% of the time in Pathfinder. Isn't that your favorite game ever? Solasta has about the same amount as Pathfinder. I skipped many combats using skills. Including some boss fights. I'm not talking about kingdom management either since most here didn't like it.

I wouldn't say Kingmaker was 80% fighting. There was tons of dialogues and lores to read as well.

And no, Kingmaker isn't my favourite game ever as shown in my signature. That belongs to BG2.

I was hoping there are enough lore, dialogue etc to read - so not asking for if whether the combat can be skipped or not.

Last edited:
Oh but it does use dice rolls, sometimes, in dialogs. You can even select your set of dice :biggrin:

https://www.solasta-game.com/news/99-dev-update-video-dice-system-preview

Knowing that and the fact it's turn-based mode, I'm sure you can only warm up to the game ;)
Maybe but there not in your face like the other unnamed RPG that's what I meant. Oh and whats that you can customize them as well. Heh maybe Larian could learn a lesson.

So I can stomach it done this way.

PS: I play TB games it's just not my preferred way to play RPGs.

So your dice roll to rile me up has failed. You needed a 20 but rolled a 5.:p

Yep, same for me.

Especially I'm interested in the companions and how they are “infused with life“ by a tag system or whatever. I'm sure we'll see a lot of progress in this field in the coming years.

Maybe but there not in your face like the other unnamed RPG that's what I meant. Oh and whats that you can customize them as well. Heh maybe Larian could learn a lesson.

So I can stomach it done this way.
You can select a few categories as shown below ... and their look! There's actually much more choice for the looks than for the categories, with only 1 for the dialogs and it will still roll invisibly even if you hide it, but hey, it's a start. Yeah, they're more discreete, so furtive people have actually asked they remain longer on the screen. And less literally, they're not too frequent. Overall, it's certainly better taste than another game we shall not name here :p

PS: I play TB games it's just not my preferred way to play RPGs.

So your dice roll to rile me up has failed. You needed a 20 but rolled a 5.:p
I know, I know, just teasing ;)

Attachments

• dice.jpg
    dice.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 29
Maybe the better comparison would be tactical TB strategy?

Maybe. It is definitely closer to XCOM rather than ARPGs. However, it is very different from games like XCOM in a number of ways. The best comparisons are with standard cRPGs, such as NWN, BG, etc. After all, it is just another D&D game, but this one has more focus on tactical combat instead of the narrative.

Among the older cRPGs out there Temple of Elemental Evil is definitely the closest experience to Solasta. Both games heavily focus on combat, faithful ruleset implementation, and atmospheric exploration. On the downside, in both games you don't have that many options in conversations, no interesting companions because you make your own party, you don't have many meaningful choices in the narrative, and the story is somewhat shallow because it is not the selling point of this game.

Back
Top Bottom