The Outer Worlds - Dark Comedy

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GameInformer interviewed Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky about the dark comedy in The Outer Worlds.

In this exclusive Game Informer interview, Ben Hanson interviews the co-directors of Obsidian's The Outer Worlds Tim Cain and Leon Boyarsky about the challenges of writing comedy in an RPG and the delicate balance between absurd and dark that the creators of Fallout are going for with their next RPG. See more exclusive videos at https://www.gameinformer.com/theouter...
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Wow, getting acquired by Microsoft buys a lot of press, doesn't it?

Can't wait, should be a great game. Tim and Cain strike a perfect balance between their visions for the game.

Do you suppose they will have humorous Motivational posters on the spacecraft?

I grow a little tired of absurd humour, parody and bad jokes seems like the laziest way to avoid having to write a proper story. The game would gain points with me if it took itself seriously.

You can always play Dark Souls & co.
If you don't want humor in real life… oops… RPGs.

I grow a little tired of absurd humour, parody and bad jokes seems like the laziest way to avoid having to write a proper story. The game would gain points with me if it took itself seriously.

Did you even bother viewing the video? They specifically addressed balance between story and humor. I guess Fallout & Arcanum must not have "proper story" by your standards.

I get what they're saying about varying the tone, but i think you can lighten the tone without having a comic streak that runs through the game. Some war movies have very funny scenes to achieve that, with banter between the troops at natural moments, but without having the absurd tone of Dr. Strangelove. In a game, you might have a mission where there's some ridiculous aspect that arises, and the characters could have lots of witty dialog, in the way people on a job would. That sort of thing, rather than a pervasive zany tone.

Back
Top Bottom