Do you (still) eat broccoli?

I love broccoli cooked but my son will only eat it raw or slightly steamed. I like almost all food now even stuff I hated as a kid, like cabbage.

I like broccoli and eat it on a regular basis.

All those who claim to like broccoli, do you also love sardines? Because I do, straight from the can...why do I get the feeling I will get nothing back but *crickets* on this one...:biggrin:

Yep, love sardines. In fact, I quite fancy some sardines on toast, now as you mention it.

All those who claim to like broccoli, do you also love sardines? Because I do, straight from the can…why do I get the feeling I will get nothing back but *crickets* on this one…:biggrin:

I don't like sardines, but my dad does, but he hates broccoli, while I like it. ;)

It was always kinda weird when I was young to see him eat his can of sardines when nobody else in the house eat them.

I don't absolutely dislike sardines, but then again I do not exactly seek them out. They are a "take it or leave it" food for me, but I have some friends that really enjoy them quite a bit.

I love broccoli and cauliflower with Hollandaise sauce.

I love that this thread has more action than clickbait and reactionary news items :)
Look at us bond over food items!

I love that this thread has more action than clickbait and reactionary news items :)
Look at us bond over food items!

I was going to be more pessemistic & decry the fact that threads about water and broccoli garner more sitewide interest and conversation than threads in the RPG forum. I think it's because this site has a history of getting extremely excited at the mere hint of 2 people disagreeing or exchanging posts more than once that even moderately benine topics have become considred, subconciously, potential trouble areas to not bother wasting one's time with. So when someone brings up a nothing topic like this that shroud of worry is lifted and everyone can say something without feeling like they're entering a minefield.

I mean, this is an RPG forum with dozens of people who have a particular preference for RPGs & yet a recommendation/list thread about Diablo-clones and similar aRPGS only has two people reply to it? And only two people who discuss the games the other two mentioned? Does one earn brownie points round here by displaying how little one cares about RPGs & how much off-topic wit/philosophy one can place into any topic of any subject matter?

Not saying threads about broccoli or water are bad, I quite like them, just curious why the same people aren't posting in a very similar thread in the RPG forum on a site supposedly peopled by RPG aficionados. Everyone has probably experienced broccoli at some point in their life, just as everyone here has probably experienced a diablo-clone at some point in their life.

Of course I still eat Broccoli. It tastes is fantastic and as an added bonus it is good for you. Sadly I can't stand Asparagus so I won't touch it (this is a big deal as my Dad loves Asparagus and grew it in the backyard).

Can't stand sardines. Won't touch any food that even has a hint of sardine odor.

All those who claim to like broccoli, do you also love sardines? Because I do, straight from the can…why do I get the feeling I will get nothing back but *crickets* on this one…:biggrin:

Omg but the sardines could have it's own thread.
Growing up the local party store had sardines in oil or mustard. 15 cents. Playing baseball then over to that store for chips and sardines.

I was going to be more pessemistic & decry the fact that threads about water and broccoli garner more sitewide interest and conversation than threads in the RPG forum. I think it's because this site has a history of getting extremely excited at the mere hint of 2 people disagreeing or exchanging posts more than once that even moderately benine topics have become considred, subconciously, potential trouble areas to not bother wasting one's time with. So when someone brings up a nothing topic like this that shroud of worry is lifted and everyone can say something without feeling like they're entering a minefield.

I mean, this is an RPG forum with dozens of people who have a particular preference for RPGs & yet a recommendation/list thread about Diablo-clones and similar aRPGS only has two people reply to it? And only two people who discuss the games the other two mentioned? Does one earn brownie points round here by displaying how little one cares about RPGs & how much off-topic wit/philosophy one can place into any topic of any subject matter?

Not saying threads about broccoli or water are bad, I quite like them, just curious why the same people aren't posting in a very similar thread in the RPG forum on a site supposedly peopled by RPG aficionados. Everyone has probably experienced broccoli at some point in their life, just as everyone here has probably experienced a diablo-clone at some point in their life.
Simple I answered the same questions multiple times so apathy is the reason. Also I just don't bother given my opinion is always the unpopular one lately. Just goes in circles.

Simpler to shrug move on and keep my opinion to myself.
All those who claim to like broccoli, do you also love sardines? Because I do, straight from the can…why do I get the feeling I will get nothing back but *crickets* on this one…
Nope get that nasty fish away from me. If you eat it on pizza then we have a problem.:biggrin:

I like broccoli raw, like in a sallad Ruth a good vinegrette. I have a serious problem with it boiled though, it has to be crispy to be tasty. Just pouring some boiled water on them is enough if I want them warm.

Sardines? Hell no, but I dislike fish in general.

Imo same reason why there are more people visiting the front page than the forums, same reason why there are more people registered with just a few postings than there are members posting a lot, same reason why there are more people reading articles than there are people writing them. Playing games, being interested in games, is one thing, discussing them, writing about them another.

One liners about water, broccoli and sardines are easy. A bit like snacking between meals. What’s there to discuss, what’s the effort?

One liners about water, broccoli and sardines are easy. A bit like snacking between meals. What’s there to discuss, what’s the effort?

We managed to turn the last one into something less soothing...

:p

Simple I answered the same questions multiple times so apathy is the reason. Also I just don't bother given my opinion is always the unpopular one lately. Just goes in circles. Simpler to shrug move on and keep my opinion to myself.

Imo same reason why there are more people visiting the front page than the forums, same reason why there are more people registered with just a few postings than there are members posting a lot, same reason why there are more people reading articles than there are people writing them. Playing games, being interested in games, is one thing, discussing them, writing about them another.

I guess it's just something that's bugged me while looking for a forum to join on the topic of cRPGs. There are three main ones as far as I can tell, that of Gamebanshee, RPGwatch, RPGcodex. Gamebanshee nuked its forums quite a few years ago now & the site there is basically just a magazine. They just spam news and reviews & have no real interest in community noise.

And that's the thing with both RPGwatch and RPGcodex, they are both IMO taking a preference in forming a brand image & imagining themselves as magazines rather than forums.

In the codex's case it's now so polluted by independent developers and their fans that it's impossible to have any kind of conversation about regular RPGs, if the game isn't either internally shilled or an old time classic you might as well not bother saying anything. And even then the 'classics' are an overly myopic list of about 5 or 6 games. Plus, of course, that whole thing about nutters attracting nutters etc.

In the Watch's case, as mention by eye, the Watch pretty much views itself as a magazine first and a forum second. News and reviews, that's what happens here. It's not so much a congregation of genre specific nerds as it is the staff of a magazine and their old forum friends. The front page? I don't think I've ever read the front page of any of the three mentioned sites in the 12 years I've been forming. I read about one news story in a hundred. Most news stories to me are literally spam, even if I like the game being mentioned. Not all, but most.

I like reviews though, I just don't like how it seems to convert some people into career minded magazine style contributors rather than people who liked a game and wanted to talk about it because they thought it deserved it. Corwin popped up with a nice one because he liked Prey, Purpleblob did a nice one because she liked Pathfinder, I did one because I liked Serpents in the Staglands, but when people start having expectations, like "how many days until Maylander reviews the latest Bioware game, just because he always does" & forgottenlore's "what's this weeks independent oddity that he kinda liked but didn't entirely" kinda hogging the space for anyone else to write about those games & at the same time not really communicating hidden gems as much as going through the magazine mindset motions.

When what I imagine as a forum is simply a congregation of similarly fanatical genre specific nerds. People who don't actually have much to say to other people but rather just smoulder with oodles of pointless knowledge about RPGs. A sort of gang of HiddenXes but who actually post more than one sentence a week. I don't imagine a forum as the coffee room of IGN. Ironically, the most 'RPG forum'ish' thread currently running is Todd's one about Dark Souls, an old game with some real fans still motivated to contribute a sense of knowledge and love to a guy talking about playing a game.

I guess I could set up my own forum, but I wouldn't know where to start. I'm a player not a developer. Had I been more interested in the practical side of life where would I have found the time to play the games that make me motivated to talk about them… ;)

It's simple to set up your own forum but it takes a lot of work, and don't forget money as it's not free. I tired a few years back but stopped when I needed to raise $400.

Anyway I get what your saying but the last time I had that feeling was back in the 1990's on other forums. Times have changed and forums have lost popularity.

forgottenlore's "what's this weeks independent oddity that he kinda liked but didn't entirely" kinda hogging the space for anyone else to write about those games & at the same time not really communicating hidden gems as much as going through the magazine mindset motions.
Not communicating hidden gems, right.
So where’s your input in forgottenlor’s thread RPGWatch - RPGWatch Indie Showcase:
The purpose of the Indie Showcase is to give members of the community the chance to nominate an indie game which they like, but which has slipped (mostly) under our radar for our new Indie Showcase. We'd invite the developers to fill out a short interview, and send us some screenshots.

When what I imagine as a forum is simply a congregation of similarly fanatical genre specific nerds. People who don't actually have much to say to other people but rather just smoulder with oodles of pointless knowledge about RPGs. A sort of gang of HiddenXes but who actually post more than one sentence a week. I don't imagine a forum as the coffee room of IGN. Ironically, the most 'RPG forum'ish' thread currently running is Todd's one about Dark Souls, an old game with some real fans still motivated to contribute a sense of knowledge and love to a guy talking about playing a game.

I guess I could set up my own forum, but I wouldn't know where to start. I'm a player not a developer. Had I been more interested in the practical side of life where would I have found the time to play the games that make me motivated to talk about them…
Well, find those “similarly fanatical genre specific nerds” and bring them here. They are more than welcome.

It is definetely not a policy of the team to be a magazine first and a forum second. We are simply looking at the behaviour of our visitors when saying that to most the front page seems to be more/most important. Same goes for the other statements I made.
I myself spend more of my time reading and replying on the forums than I’m looking at the front page.

We are offering the possibility for people to interact, to discuss all sorts of RPGs and to write and review articles, and our news editors appreciate it very much when people take the trouble of posting a comment and start a discussion about a game. But we can’t force people, can we?

If you mean you expect us to go out looking for those members you’d like to see here, well, then you are right: we are passive in our behaviour and don’t swarm the world catching people discussing RPGs all day to bring them here. We are not even advertising. Well, there is HiddenXs gem on Steam (Steam Curator).

But maybe you could be our marketing man on Twitter or Instagram and bring those gangs “of HiddenXes but who actually post more than one sentence a week” over here?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom