2012 NHL Playoffs

What, is there hockey going on? I know several Red Wings are participating in the Worlds that just wrapped up, but I didn't expect much conversation about that here...

To be honest, this is the least interested I've been in the NHL playoffs in a long time. The Eastern Conference finals might turn out to be decent, but the West has been a snooze-fest.

Still a lot better than the NBA playoffs or MLB though imo.

The East has been epic. A NY/NJ series is brewing... that is going to be something to see. I'll have to watch some of the LA/Coyote series to check out LA, but the Coyotes are going to be beaten like a rented mule.

Can the East take the West? Hmmmm....

I think it's a good thing our "scoring contest" kinda fell apart. Our winner would be someone that pulled maybe 2 series winners out of their behind for the entire playoffs. What a crazy year.

As painful as round 1 ended up, round 2 is shaping up as the "well, at least" band-aid. At least the Blues got spanked. At least the Preds are playing golf. At least the city of Filthadelphia will get no joy.

Its been a great time rooting for underdogs though. A NY/LA final is likely and that is a great thing. Can I swallow my hatred for NY (all teams, all sports :)) and root for the East? Can NY actually take LA? I was super confident before but NY hasn't shown the kind of strength I was expecting....

Unless there's an upset with NY/Wash, I'll take NJ to beat NY, LA to beat Phx, but I'm not yet sure which would win the cup.

everything is proceeding exactly as i have foreseen it

Let the epic battle in the East begin! I can't even describe how happy I am to see a match up as even and as hostile as this one!

I'm really not impressed with NY's consistency. At this point Corwin, I'm going to agree with your prediction and say NJ, but I'm not unshakably confident....

I'm very curious to see if the Coyotes can hold their own too. I doubt it though.

NY over New Jersey. LA over Phoenix.

Don't really care who wins at this point, but I hope it's not NJ.

hardly epic - the East has been a major bore fest. It was hard watching NJ Philly because its hard wanting to watch two teams lose. Its a shame about the Caps - watching Keenan rant about Ovy being nowhere in the last two games makes me wonder if that sentiment is going on in Baltimore.

Now, wow, two New York teams in the semis - ugh!

The Kings surgical precision against the Blues was great! They didn't just win it with Defense as they showed in the third game. LA is so highly rated right now it could get interesting if they start to believe in their own press too much. That's what the dogs will be hoping for.

hardly epic - the East has been a major bore fest. It was hard watching NJ Philly because its hard wanting to watch two teams lose. Its a shame about the Caps - watching Keenan rant about Ovy being nowhere in the last two games makes me wonder if that sentiment is going on in Baltimore.

Now, wow, two New York teams in the semis - ugh!

The Kings surgical precision against the Blues was great! They didn't just win it with Defense as they showed in the third game. LA is so highly rated right now it could get interesting if they start to believe in their own press too much. That's what the dogs will be hoping for.

Bias much? The east plays defensive hockey and a physical style. I'm watching LA and while they are clearly an offensive powerhouse, either of these Eastern teams can shut them down. The Coyotes aren't checking at all. They aren't grinding the Kings on the boards. They can't survive playing the King's game. The Coyotes are cowering in the slot and can't control the neutral zone. Kings 4 - 1.

Then the East takes out LA in 6. Either team.

The east plays defensive hockey and a physical style.

Um…what? Did you watch any of that Pittsburgh-Philly series? I think what you meant to say is that "some" teams in the East play defensive hockey. I can really only think of two.

I think the East has a better shot at winning the Cup at this point, but they've been helped by all the upsets in the West.

Sorry - I meant the Eastern contenders: Caps, NJ, NY. Philly and Pitt are pretty weak. I thought Philly was stronger than the turned out to be.
The Coyotes did better than I thought they would tonight. That redline goal was hilarious.

I hope for a good series. The Devils dominated most of the game so they should take a few games. Who can argue with a NY LA final? Great matchup.

Phoenix is finished. You might as well go ahead and pencil in LA for the Cup Finals.

LA vs NY hopefully. :)

I feel bad for Pheonix. They arent a bad team, but they are outclassed. Heart wont take them beyond LA. Out in 4. NY is certainly likely, but hopefully NJ studied the tapes and has a few ideas. NJ is still clearly dangerous.

Well Phoenix managed to put up a fight in those last two games at least. Too little and too late though.

Now I just need the Rangers to win… :fingerscrossed:

Well Phoenix managed to put up a fight in those last two games at least. Too little and too late though.

Now I just need the Rangers to win… :fingerscrossed:

I predicted 4-1 and nailed it :). While I don't share your enthusiasm for NY It's likely to turn out in your favor. I will say I'm disgusted with NY's defensive style - all that fall flat shot blocking. I wonder if the league will consider making the move a penalty? Delay of game? NY has taken the block shot dive style way too far, killing momentum and consequently entertainment value. Just my opinion of course.

Bias much?

I don't even like LA. Take another look at my avatar sometime Todd.

The east plays defensive hockey and a physical style. I'm watching LA and while they are clearly an offensive powerhouse

bwahahaha! apparently this is the first time you were able to watch an LA game all season. I'm going to guess its because NBC showed it in the morning so as not to conflict with the NBA playoffs.

I'll school you up so you don't embarrass yourself with these kind of statements in the final: LA has played to win games 1-0 all year. They are clearly comfortable in very low scoring or tie games and their opponents clearly have not been.

The fact that they showed some offense in a couple of games finally has to do with the perfect storm of their scorers finally getting healthy at the right time, just before the playoffs. It also has to do with the nature of series how teams get to know each other, and teams that are losing need to gamble a lot more (ie. mobile Defense).

But if LA was such an Offensive powerhouse as you say, how is it they can't score on the Powerplay?

either of these Eastern teams can shut them down.

Take everything you said about "Team Defense" with these two teams and apply it to LA - especially since you think Quick is overrated..

NJ is not the trapping team they were before either if you hadn't noticed

The Coyotes aren't checking at all. They aren't grinding the Kings on the boards. They can't survive playing the King's game. The Coyotes are cowering in the slot and can't control the neutral zone. Kings 4 - 1.

Then the East takes out LA in 6. Either team.

pfft - the Rags so far haven't been able to put any of their opponents away for good.

what was it you said about me being biased?

Either of those two teams are going to wake up worn out and underestimating LA's chances, and overestimating their own just as Vancouver and Nashville have done. LA is going to build up a healthy 2-0 lead then win the finals 4-1.

Back
Top Bottom