Original Sin - Stetch Goals and Music

I'm not sure why you guys feel the need to put down Shroud to promote this game...I have backed both...as have both teams.

I'm not sure why you guys feel the need to put down Shroud to promote this game…I have backed both…as have both teams.
Same, although I gave 10X as much to this game.

I don't remember having a house in any Ultima game I ever played. Granted it's been 20 years since I played them, but if I did, it certainly wasn't something memorable. But that seems to be all they want to talk about for that. With the latest update I got tonight, apparently I can now live on a boat, ship, and island too, not just a house. So exciting.

Last edited:
I don't remember having a house in any Ultima game I ever played.

That's because you apparently never played Ultima Online. And therein lies the rub...

Not that these are not worthy goals, but I'm beginning to suffer from some kind of Kickstarter fatigue. "Stretch goal" has started to sound like a dirty word to me lately.

I love these guys. I love how the mod tools are not a stretch goal but something that's part of the original goal. Others see modding as "something we'll see if we can fit in sometime" but I see modding as a very attractive feature all by itself. I doubt I would touch a Bethesda game anymore without mod tools. And if BGS games modding is anything to go by, the mod tools will more than pay for itself in the long run.

The average cost of a AAA game is somewhere in the region of $30m and some of them (next GTA e.g.) will exceed $100m; more than the entire amount made by video games on Kickstarter last year. In the light of that the $400k being asked by Larian to complete Original Sin looks like a rounding error and Larian's stretch goals for Original Sin are surely more than reasonable.

Kickstarter projects are set to transform our little segment of the video games market over the next few years and it seems a bit grudging, not to mention wrong to complain that Larian are somehow hoodwinking us with their stretch goals and need for funding in order to complete the game.

That's because you apparently never played Ultima Online. And therein lies the rub…
Indeed. So is that supposed to count as an Ultima game? I think most of the people supporting that Kickstarter (on this forum at least) would hope not.

Just to make things clear, in no way do I mean to suggest that Larian are somehow hoodwinking us with their stretch goals. I didn't even mean to complain, really. I think Kickstarter is great, and I'm very excited about many of the promising games coming out of it, most notably Sui Generis, which seems to attempt things never done before, and of course Eternity and Torment.

I merely voiced my personal feeling of fatigue. Not with this particular game or even the concept of crowd funding, but with the Kickstarter campaigns themselves, the way they have come to be orchestrated and with the notion of stretch goals in particular. But I guess it was inevitable.

That's because you apparently never played Ultima Online. And therein lies the rub…

It is hard for you to understand what they are trying to do here, but that's ok keep up the ignorance.

Hey guys,

I hope you don't meet your 800k stretch goal.

All the best,

I couldn't care less about music or sounds, but I really like some of those progression goals. The henchmen deserve their own backround stories, it should serve to enhance the games' story overall, imo.

-Carn

Hey guys,

I hope you don't meet your 800k stretch goal.

All the best,

Yes, well, I like the 1m stretch goal enough that I hope your hope is left unfulfilled… Anyhoo, I think the 800k stretch goal is fine as it doesn't necessarily detract from the main game. Who's to say that companions aren't optional or that henchmen have been completely removed(or that a mod couldn't easily remedy this)? The 800k stretch is aimed squarely at enticing bioware fanboys. Which is fine, mo money mo betta.

I'm pretty stoked for this KS. So much so, that I posted on an Overclocking forum I used to frequent(now rarely) in the hopes it would give Original Sin some more exposure.

Just a random tangetial thought here…

Inxile -> WL2 -> TToN

Obsidian -> PE -> ???

Hey, maybe MCA playing Arcanum is a sign. Arcanum spiritual successor next? If there is one game that could really get me to drop some serious pocket change it would be an Arcanum, my personal favorite cRPG.

Hey, maybe MCA playing Arcanum is a sign. Arcanum spiritual successor next? If there is one game that could really get me to drop some serious pocket change it would be an Arcanum, my personal favorite cRPG.

I think, based on his experience so far with Arcanum as far as the let's plays go, that if he were to do a spiritual successor to Arcanum that it might be a bit rough. That is to say that from his experience at present he might imagine a game in which you are repeatedly and consistently slaughtered by wolves to be an apt spiritual successor.

I think, based on his experience so far with Arcanum as far as the let's plays go, that if he were to do a spiritual successor to Arcanum that it might be a bit rough. That is to say that from his experience at present he might imagine a game in which you are repeatedly and consistently slaughtered by wolves to be an apt spiritual successor.

Actually, I was thinking MCA's involvement would be minimal at best since he really wasn't a part of the original… and he has a lot on his plate otherwise. I just meant it was a sign from a publicity perspective, IE getting the name out there and on peoples minds… Tim is still staying with Obsidian, right? I would rather he lead it's design.

-EDIT-

Sorry, will stop with the derail. Still pumped to see what comes of this KS. I have my fingers crossed Larian will hit their 1 million stretch goal.

It is hard for. ou to understand what they are trying to do here, but tha. s ok keep up the ignorance.

And how would you know what I understand? I've actually read and watched a lot of info on this game. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm wrong (and, admittedly, it is a prediction based on a the direction of the developers' lip service), nor does it mean i have difficulty in my understanding, Rune, you sophmoric sycophant.

Last edited:
....er.....at what level do we get romances!?! :D Only kidding guys, only kidding!! :)

Back
Top Bottom