The Black Tower - New Indie RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PCGamer has news of a new indie RPG called the The Black Tower.

I occasionally get nostalgic for the PlayStation-era Final Fantasy games – a feeling that generally passes when I play a PlayStation-era Final Fantasy game and find my patience tested within the first minute. Having said that, I’m intrigued by TBT: The Black Tower, an upcoming RPG with more pre-rendered backdrops and oversized swords than you can shake a bunch of Gysahl Greens at. If you understood the reference, you may proceed past the break, where I will tell you more things about this French take on a very Japanese genre.
I’m assuming TBT stands for The Black Tower (but if so, why the subtitle?), however I know that it revolves around Yan Forté, “a kind of ranger” who lives in the woods in the year 2032. There’s some business about a “strange alien Cube” and “Ellana, a young girl with a strange black Die as a pendant around the neck”, but the three-person development team is going to need to shove a few more ancient gods, magical eight-year-olds and giant yellow birds in there if they’re going to compete with the Final Fantasy series.
The Black Tower will have links to Simon Mesnard’s ASA: A Space Adventure, a Myst-esque adventure game with a similarly loose grasp on the whole subtitle thing. TBT is still very early in development, but that doesn’t mean you can’t vote for it on Steam Greenlight, await the crowdfunding campaign in May.

More information.

Looks a bit hokey so far. The NPCs in town all appear to be drunk. The huge sword looks ridiculous in many of the artwork shots. The generic names don't inspire much confidence in the world design and story.

Looks a bit hokey so far. The NPCs in town all appear to be drunk. The huge sword looks ridiculous in many of the artwork shots. The generic names don't inspire much confidence in the world design and story.

Well I have a fondness for any Final Fantasy type game. I guess you never played any JRPG'S have you? All those are typical cliches of them.

Also the video is a prototype which means early alpha at best. Still not bad for only two french guys developing an rpg.

I couldn't care less how it looks, if the combat/magic system are good, that'll be enough for me. SSI products are still the pinnacle for me in rpgs for pcs, so graphics are really really not important, imo. Heck, I'm not even a big FF fan but if the game is hard and interesting, I'll be buying it.

-Carn

Back
Top Bottom