somewhere between 10 and 50K 15 30.61%
Below 10K 12 24.49%
In the low 1000's 12 24.49%
3 figures only 1 2.04%
Somewhere around 100 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Default How much will Grimoire sell

July 3rd, 2017, 12:39
I'll start by trying the iso demo and then decide, but I'm almost certain it's not my kind of 40$ game.

NewDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

July 3rd, 2017, 13:08
If a game is worth playing, I'll generally pay whatever it's going for - why would you spend your time playing (presumably) inferior games because of $10? That's the price of a good sandwich these days. If a "600 hour" game is worth playing at $30, then it's also worth playing at $40. Just IMO.

Having said that, Grimoire is too archaic for my tastes. Always been a big blobber fan, but I can't get myself to play a new game that's living 25 years in the past. Gonna need at least Wiz8-level UI, controls, etc etc. Wiz8 is 16 years old. I don't think that's asking for too much…

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

July 3rd, 2017, 13:11
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
If a game is worth playing, I'll generally pay whatever it's going for - why would you spend your time playing (presumably) inferior games because of $10? That's the price of a good sandwich these days. If a "600 hour" game is worth playing at $30, then it's also worth playing at $40. Just IMO.

Having said that, Grimoire is too archaic for my tastes. Always been a big blobber fan, but I can't get myself to play a new game that's living 25 years in the past. Gonna need at least Wiz8-level UI, controls, etc etc. Wiz8 is 16 years old. I don't think that's asking for too much…
So, you'd be fine with a 1000$ game if it was worth playing?

Personally, my enjoyment doesn't change because of price - but I have to take the entertainment value into account, and there's a definite difference there, for me

NewDArt

July 3rd, 2017, 13:14
Probably not - although if it was awesome enough, who knows…I have given a quarter of that ($250) to multiple Kickstarters.

But that is sort of a pointless example, since nobody would ever price a game at $1000. I don't know of any game that's ever been priced above $60.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

July 3rd, 2017, 13:17
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Probably not - although if it was awesome enough, who knows…I have given a quarter of that ($250) to multiple Kickstarters.

But that is sort of a pointless example, since nobody would ever price a game at $1000. I don't know of any game that's ever been priced above $60.
It was a demonstration of how you have a limit

We all have a limit, yours is just higher - apparently.

That said, there are games I would gladly pay 1000$ for - but that would be because I wanted to support them, and not because I thought that represented a fair price.

Personally, I estimate my enjoyment with Grimoire would equal something like an old GoG nostalgia trip.

Is that worth 40$? Perhaps - but since I can get a hundred of those for 1-10$ - I have to say 40$ is just too high.

NewDArt

July 3rd, 2017, 13:23
It's apparently a 600 hour game. So the cost per hour is not so high
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

July 3rd, 2017, 13:34
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
It's apparently a 600 hour game. So the cost per hour is not so high
I don't know about that. For instance, if I had to play Solitaire for 600 hours - I would probably kill myself

NewDArt

July 3rd, 2017, 14:22
No way I'm buying it for that price. 600, 60 or 6000 hours - it's "technology" belongs to a couple of decades back and I'm not paying such sum for what's today practically a phonegame.
Best of luck Cleve.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

July 3rd, 2017, 15:30
Yeah, 40$ is too much for me, I'll wait till it's at least 50% off to even consider buying it.

Ivanwah

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

July 4th, 2017, 05:40
Honestly I have zero interest in retro dungeon crawlers/ FP blobbers these days. Just isn't my thing, but for those that like this kind of thing and for some reason want to want to play the same fucking game for 600 hours I'm sure this will blow your mind in the year 2027.
--
Currently Playing: Heroine's Quest, Quest For Infamy, Planescape: Torment

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

July 4th, 2017, 06:31
Lord of the Rings Online - 2000 hours
Skyrim - 900 hours
Fallout IV - 450 hours
Demise - 700 hours
Everquest 2 - 3700 hours

I can spend 600 hours in game provided that it meets my interest

Lev

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

July 4th, 2017, 10:40
There are better games, bobblers or otherwise, that cost one tenth of this price (with many hundreds of hours of fund) at this stage. Moreover this price is the same as the pre-order price for Elex, and I would prefer Elex.

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

July 4th, 2017, 10:50
It's an unknown quantity in terms of quality and bugs etc. I probably would have taken a chance at $25 or so, but $40 definitely puts it in the wait and see folder.

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

July 4th, 2017, 17:08
I think $40 is crazy. Whether it's good or not, the game is very dated at this point. I think it should be $20.

Besides that, I recently watched the video of his Indiegogo pitch in 2013. He claimed a basic digital copy was going to be $25, and that was 4 years ago. I don't see any reason to pay more now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDyXSCd2Lp0

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

July 4th, 2017, 17:14
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
He claimed a basic digital copy was going to be $25, and that was 4 years ago. I don't see any reason to pay more now.
That was before some new skinpeoplealive australian taxes.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

July 4th, 2017, 17:17
It would sell much better at twenty five or thirty bucks, imo. But then again, who would want to try to explain basic economics to this yutz?

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

July 4th, 2017, 18:15
40 would be OK with me if I found the game interesting. At the moment I don't but that may change depending on reviews. Doesn't matter to me if it's an indie or an AAA title, if I like a game enough to want to play it I'll pay what it costs (up to 60$).

Unfortunately, these days I tend to take a look at my backlog whenever I'm tempted to buy a game. There are some pretty good things there, that I'd like to play (eventually). So to invesxt money and time a new one, it has to be something I've really been looking forward to (like the upcoming or Mordor expansion for LOTRO), or something special - and the big G isn't quite there.

pibbur who has deviated from the above mentioned principles. Occasionally (refuses to say how often).
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!
Last edited by pibbur who; July 4th, 2017 at 19:20.

pibbur who

Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » How much will Grimoire sell