EA - Cancels Origins Free Game Program

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well some of you might be jumping for joy or not care but EA has cancelled its Origins Free Game Program. I can imagine EA going no free games you peasant.

Link - https://www.pcgamer.com/origins-free-game-program-on-the-house-has-been-retired/
Electronic Arts said during a financial call yesterday that Origin Access Premier, an upgraded version of its subscription-based Origin Access service that will provide full, unlimited access to EA games, will go live next week. More quietly, it also pulled the plug on Origin's "On the House" program, which provided free games to everyone—including non-Access subscribers—on an intermittent, time-limited basis.
Yes you have to pay for that privilege now.:cool:

1445747704005.png

Last edited:
Free games are always more fun when you pay for then anyway.:lol:

That is simply hilarious. The sheer arrogance is simply astounding to me, they should be grateful for every foolish person that puts this junky platform on their computer, but no. Not Electronic Arts!

Why are you all upset that EA is going to stop offering Pebble and Plant vs Zombies for free every 6 months?

Why are you all upset that EA is going to stop offering Pebble and Plant vs Zombies for free every 6 months?
I got about ten free games since 2014 but yeah the free offerings got stale after a few years. Anyway I only use Origin for Mass Effect and Dragon Age games nowadays.

So upset hardly I'm poking fun at them(they deserve it)and sharing news.

Even a free game wasnt enough to install origin.

Even a free game wasnt enough to install origin.

Agreed. Only reason to install Origin is if you want to play a game that requires it.

pibbur who is neither upset nor not upset by this EA move. And who is not sure if what he just wrote makes any sense in English

That is simply hilarious. The sheer arrogance is simply astounding to me, they should be grateful for every foolish person that puts this junky platform on their computer, but no. Not Electronic Arts!

Drama queen much? They were giving away FREE games (and good ones unlike all the other platforms) and now your acting like they are anti-christ just because they stopped doing it? Origin is the least obtrusive of the big game clients (Steam, uplay, Origin) by far. By default nothing even get loaded into memory unless you tick the box to load it on startup.

Free games I got from Origin:
  • Ultima 7 complete
  • Ultima 8
  • Wing Commander 3
  • Wing Commander 4
  • Syndicate
  • Sim City 2000
  • Nox
  • Jade Empire
  • Dungeon Keeper

Probably others, I just can't figure out if I paid for them or not. Overall I am very pleased with what I got from them.

I’m not upset nor do I have any issues with using origin it’s always worked just fine for me.

You may have me confused with someone that actually uses the Origin platform. I have no issue with the free games, rather, I despise the platform and the company that manages it. The drama factor is quite low.

Good thing I cancelled my EA Access thingy a while ago, I guess. It was a pretty good deal in several ways, though.

Not for me, because I don't actually take much advantage of it - but if you wanted the stuff, it was quite reasonable.

As for Origin, it's a very solid platform. Much better than, say, GOG or Uplay - which are just terrible.

Can't say I'm registering any emotional response to the software, though. I mean, to me - it's not too interesting if I launch a game from a platform serving one corporation looking to generate a profit or another.

That said, I would definitely prefer a single platform handling all my games and keeping them up-to-date, etc.

Obviously, not going to happen.

Within this context, I care if something is worth my money. If it is, I buy it - if not, well….

The actual launch platform is entirely free and can be turned off when it's not needed. It's also very efficient and simple to use, I find.

It might be the best of the bunch, though I concede I have no special love of launch platforms.

It's sort of like operating systems. I really don't care which one I use, just as long as I can do what I need to do - and want to do.

Free games are always more fun when you pay for then anyway. :lol:

LOL

Very well said in the view of those who want to make money. ;)

Players with saturated backlogs worrying about the end of one free product supply line.

Having to install yet another game client is a big turnoff for me. Its not that their client is any better or worse than others - its just that I don't need half a dozen clients running on my computer in the system tray hogging resources all the time. And I'm too lazy to run them on an "as-needed" basis. I mean, with Stream and GOG, why does anyone else want to even try to have their own client solution? I know that for me, the reason I don't buy EA games is exactly because I have to install Origin client to run them.

It does not launch at boot by default contrary to others.

Free games I got from Origin:
  • Ultima 7 complete
  • Ultima 8
  • Wing Commander 3
  • Wing Commander 4
  • Syndicate
  • Sim City 2000
  • Nox
  • Jade Empire
  • Dungeon Keeper

A free 20yr old game once a year still isn't much of an incentive to install their drm spyware. My information is worth more than that. 😁

I'm glad I'm not alone in my disdain for Origin. They might have cleaned up the platform since I first used it in 2012, but that two hour experience/ fiasco has stuck with me for quite some time, now.

Having to install yet another game client is a big turnoff for me. Its not that their client is any better or worse than others - its just that I don't need half a dozen clients running on my computer in the system tray hogging resources all the time. And I'm too lazy to run them on an "as-needed" basis. I mean, with Stream and GOG, why does anyone else want to even try to have their own client solution? I know that for me, the reason I don't buy EA games is exactly because I have to install Origin client to run them.

Steam charges something like 40% (?) of the price as their cut so I can see plenty of reasons for people not want to be on that platform. I don't like multiple clients as well but its necessary evil.

I don't get this "hogging resources" criticism as well. Windows is pretty good at managing inactive programs. I have both origin and uplay on my system and they are both well behaved. I never had any performance issue in a game that was down to origin or uplay for that matter.

If the game is good, I will install anything, even a virus! I have installed pirated games in the past knowing full well they are infected!

Back
Top Bottom