What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 309 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

October 11th, 2021, 17:37
The Amsterdam Kill (1977)

Is a dumb action movie that got released just before home video might have made it more popular/famous.

A fascinating cast of Robert Mitchum in the lead, supported by many including Leslie Nielsen and George Cheung.

Directed by the guy that did Enter The Dragon.

The setting is a combination of Amsterdam and Hong Kong, but much of the cast is either American or Hong Kongers.

The inclusion of Nielsen in particular adds something to this movie that modern eyes can really enjoy as it's so easy to imagine him playing his role as if he were Frank Drebin.

And let's be frank here, it's not a serious film, even though it does have many aspects that have that wonderful 70s grit aesthetic. Imagine Dirty Harry or The French Connection but with Leslie Nielsen and a Robert Mitchum mostly phoning it in for cash while a Bondesque menagerie of oriental henchmen punch, kick and shoot in the background.

It's also a complete sausage fest. Not a single female role throughout other than background and extras. Which is very interesting and can be viewed two ways, in that on the one hand it might not be an ideal watch with the girlfriend, as Mitchum doesn't even get to mildly flirt with anyone, but on the other hand it does suggest a very appealing sincerity in the production, in that you know the producers weren't just putting things in the film for purely cynical reasons.

And it's been so long since it came out that all of the location shoots in Holland and Hong Kong have a very attractive sense of nostalgia about them.

It only has a 5.4/10 on IMDB, but looking at the reviews, even those dumping on it and giving it a 4/10 seem to be saying it's worth watching at least once, and I was personally quite shocked it sits at such a low score, it's definitely better than 5.4.

Don't get me wrong, it's trash, but it's not complete trash and for it's genre, that of home video cheap action films, it a pretty damn fine example and one that I would definitely recommend as a surprising hidden gem, if you're into this kind of stuff.

It could have done with slightly more action, particularly in the martial arts department and slightly more plot-intrigue, but the ending is an absolute hoot and well worth whatever else has gone before.

6.25/10 hidden gem if you're a fan of the home video action film genre.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

October 11th, 2021, 17:54
I've not watched the Amsterdam Kill in years, yet I recall it being very good. I'm going to have to check Amazon and see if there's a way to watch it there, that's a film that I'd truly love to re-watch!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

October 11th, 2021, 18:55
It's weird watching Nielsen's old movies where he's serious, but he has that police lieutenant /some other authority figure character. Remember him in The forbidden planet? He was somewhat of a late bloomer, his career took off when he started appearing in comedies (as he himself admitted).

kazga

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

October 11th, 2021, 21:55
Forbidden Planet is one of those truly awesome flicks, one you'll never forget. I watched that film so damn much in the seventies and eighties.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

October 11th, 2021, 22:44
I thought I'd seen all the old classic sci-fis, including Forbidden Planet, but looking at the trailers now and I'm pretty sure I've never seen it, which is really confusing me. I'm going to have to add that to my watch list for the future now!

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

October 14th, 2021, 11:53
Anyone seen Spine of Night? Looks interesting.

loading…
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

October 15th, 2021, 21:30
I saw just over half of Hereditary. Pretty intense stuff so far. But I was too tired to see it all at once.

Spoiler

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

October 15th, 2021, 21:46
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I saw just over half of Hereditary. Pretty intense stuff so far. But I was too tired to see it all at once.

Spoiler
It's definitely worth watching to the end. Fwiw, I liked it a lot more than Midsommar.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)

October 15th, 2021, 22:48
Just watched Free Guy that stars Ryan Reynolds as a clueless man who discovers he's stuck in a digital game world. It's not the first movie of this type but it was enjoyable.

loading…

I'd give it a C+ at the end of the day. Nothing special but a good time waster.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”
Last edited by Couchpotato; October 16th, 2021 at 11:13.

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)

October 16th, 2021, 11:05
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
It's definitely worth watching to the end. Fwiw, I liked it a lot more than Midsommar.
Yeah, I finished it. Definitely took an unexpected turn, for the better actually. I'm not sure I got all of it, but I got the broad strokes. I personally liked Midsommar. Especially the atmosphere and visuals. And I felt Hereditary had a similar structure. This was of course much more creepy than Midsommar.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

October 16th, 2021, 17:05

Spoiler
Watch hidden details YT video afterwards to see what you've missed

kazga

Watchdog

October 16th, 2021, 18:20
Originally Posted by kazga View Post
Watch hidden details YT video afterwards to see what you've missed
Yeah I was surprised how much they hint at everything from the very beginning. Even things that felt weird in the moment, but I completely forgot or disregarded, actually had a point.

Spoiler

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

October 16th, 2021, 21:59
Saw another horror movie, but this one is a little more unconventional. I think I heard of it from redlettermedia. The Blackcoat’s daughter. Very atmospheric and slow paced. I enjoyed it.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

October 16th, 2021, 23:19
Saw another horror movie, but this one is a little more unconventional. I think I heard of it from redlettermedia. The Blackcoat’s daughter. Very atmospheric and slow paced. I enjoyed it.
I enjoyed that one too. It features the actress that goes on to star in the Sabrina remake on Netflix. She does "unsettling" quite well.
The same director (of Blackcoat's Daughter) did Netflix's I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, which is one of the most disappointing, pretentious movies I have ever sat through. He also directed Gretel & Hansel, which I have yet to see (despite the title, my understanding is that it is another moody horror flick).
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

October 17th, 2021, 11:35
Originally Posted by Shagnak View Post
I enjoyed that one too. It features the actress that goes on to star in the Sabrina remake on Netflix. She does "unsettling" quite well.
The same director (of Blackcoat's Daughter) did Netflix's I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, which is one of the most disappointing, pretentious movies I have ever sat through. He also directed Gretel & Hansel, which I have yet to see (despite the title, my understanding is that it is another moody horror flick).
I saw about half of Gretel and Hansel, and I'm not sure why I stopped, because I absolutely loved the visuals and atmosphere. I need to pick that back up. I think it might've been my usual reluctance to horror. I hate jump-scares so I'm constantly on edge that they're gonna pull those. But then I heard there aren't any in Gretel and Hansel, so I need to go back to those.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

October 17th, 2021, 14:16
Watched The Irishman yesterday. I was holding off on that one due to the length of the movie. So, yesterday I started early enough to watch it in one go and I really enjoyed myself and never felt it was too long.
It is perhaps not the best work Scorcese has made, but it is a good movie. For Netflix standards it is actually an excellent movie.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)

October 17th, 2021, 14:21
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
Watched The Irishman yesterday. I was holding off on that one due to the length of the movie. So, yesterday I started early enough to watch it in one go and I really enjoyed myself and never felt it was too long.
It is perhaps not the best work Scorcese has made, but it is a good movie. For Netflix standards it is actually an excellent movie.
I started the Irishman some time ago, and stopped pretty early. I think the main reason was seeing that scene where Deniro is de-aged digitally, but the scene where he kicks some dude in the face, and his movement was that of an old man, really took me out of it. I've been meaning to get back into it. I just hope it's not another holywood propaganda film about how unions are bad and they're always involved with the mob.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

October 17th, 2021, 15:50
Frankly I'm surprised Scorsese made the movie as it's well known Sheeran fabricated lots of stuff in the book (he didn't kill Hoffa nor crazy Joe Gallo). But I guess regardless he thought it would make and interesting movie & it was also an opportunity for a get-together with Pesci and Deniro.

kazga

Watchdog

October 18th, 2021, 11:41
Dune Part 1

I'm still digesting it at the moment, but I can definitely say I liked it more than I thought I was going to. The visuals and music are really good, and the acting was better than I expected for the most part. It's also a lot closer to the book, at least plot-wise, than the 1984 film was. Hopefully the second half will be as faithful.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)

October 18th, 2021, 11:50
Saw an old comedy yesterday: "Le jour de gloire" (The day of honor). Back in the seventies the french made a lot of IMNSHO very funny crazy comedies, starring Louis de Funes, Pierre Richard and others. Found this movie on Netflixe, hope this means that they will publish more comedies from that era.

pibbur who aknowledges that perhaps he may not find them as funny as he did back then when he was young and innocent.

PS. Yes, I liked the film. DS.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

pibbuR

Feeling … lonely?

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread