The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Well … my trustworthy, solo-oriented Paladin also made it into Eveningstar. The name is Anrilkana, level 17, and she is my favourite char for slow solo questing so far.

U50 is on the Lam!

Horizon Walker Universal Tree
Code:
Here's your first look at Horizon Walker, a Universal enhancement tree currently slated for Update 50. Horizon Walker has popped up in a couple of editions of D&D at this point, as a variant option in 3.5e and a Ranger path in 5e. In this adaptation, the Horizon Walker is a hunter that traverses planes, hunting extraplanar enemies with a Bow. They are rugged adventurers, prepared for any kind of danger on any number of planes, and are attuned enough to Planes that they can occasionally manipulate planar alignments to avoid danger.

Focuses of this tree include:

Single-Target Bow Damage
    Dexterity
    Avoidance defenses (dodge, incorp, etc)

Marking a Target:
The first Core in this tree works a bit like Assassin's trick; it's an Active ability that leaves an effect on your targeted enemy, and after that the things that affect Marked Targets work on that enemy. Using Marked Target on another enemy while you have an existing, living Marked Target will clear it from them. Using Improved Precise Shot and hitting other enemies before/after your Marked Target on the Bow attacks will do the attack's weapon damage to other enemies, and only do the Marked Target effects to your Marked Target (assuming they're hit by the attack).

Cores

Mark Target: +1 to Spot and Listen. You gain the ability to Mark one target at a time. Targets you Mark have -2 AC. (Debuffs to Marked Targets from these Core abilites do not stack with other players' Marks - Only the highest set of debuffs will apply.) Cooldown: 4 Seconds. (1AP)
    Improved Marking: Your Marked Targets get -5% Fortification. The AC penalty your Marked Targets take increases to -4. (1AP)
    Greater Marking: Your Marked Targets get -2 to Saving Throws. Their Fortification penalty increases to -10%, and AC penalty increases to -6. (1AP)
    Dauntless Marking: Your Marked Target's Saving Throw penalty increases to -4, Fortification penalty increases to -20%, and AC penalty increases to -8. (1AP)
    Dimension Door: Once per rest, you can cast Dimension Door. Activation Cost: 0 Spell Points. Cooldown: 10 Minutes. Passive: Your Marked Targets get -10% to movement speed. (1AP)
    Horizon: +2 to all Ability Scores. You gain +10 Ranged Power, +10% Doubleshot. +2 Maximum Manyshot charges. (1AP)

Tier 1

Weathered Gear: You have a 25/50/75% chance to negate potential item wear. (1AP/Rank)
    Opening Shot: +1/2/3[w] Bow Attack. Adds 1/2/3d6 Force damage on hit. This damage scales with Ranged Power. Cooldown: 6 seconds. (1AP/Rank)
    Eye for Accuracy: +1/2/3 to Attack with Weapons.
    Skills: +1/2/3 to Spot, Listen, and Search. (1AP/Rank)
    Conjure Arrow: SLA, as in AA tree (2AP)

Tier 2

Walker Training I: +1 to Attack and +1 to Damage with Longbows and Shortbows. (1AP)
    Take the Opening: If Opening Shot hits a creature that is at 100% of their hitpoints, it deals an extra 1d10 Force damage for every 2 Character levels you have. This damage scales with Ranged Power. Additionally, your Force damage from Opening Shot is now applied twice when used against Marked Targets. (2AP)
    Skilled Navigator: +2/4/6 to Saving Throws vs. Traps (1AP/Rank)
    Dodge and Strike: When you tumble, you gain Ranged Power equal to half your Character level for 12 seconds. This can trigger once every 30 seconds. (1 AP)
    Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider Feat (1AP)

Tier 3

No Step Missed: Battle Trance. Cooldown: 20 Seconds. Antirequisite: Other Trances. Charges: 5. Expend 1 Charge: You gain an Insight bonus to damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to 1/2 of your Dexterity modifier for [30/60/120] seconds. On a Vorpal weapon hit, have a chance to restore 1 Charge. (1AP/Rank)
    Two Places At Once: When you use Manyshot or Scattershot, you gain Displacement for 12 seconds. (2AP)
    Nowhere to Hide: You automatically detect nearby Secret Doors with a DC of 5 or less. This goes up by 3 for every 2 Character levels you have. (1AP)
    Planar Dodge: +1/2/3 to Dodge, +1/2/3 Maximum Dexterity while wearing light armor. (1AP/Rank)
    Ability Score: Multiselector
        Dexterity: +1 Dexterity (2AP)
        Wisdom: +1 Wisdom (2AP)

Tier 4

Walker Training II: +1 to Attack and +1 to Damage with Longbows and Shortbows. (1AP)
    Corner the Quarry: +2/3/4[w] Bow Attack. If this is used against your Marked Target, they must make a Reflex Save (d20+your Listen skill) or be immobilized for 12 seconds. On a Vorpal hit, the target is also Stunned with no save (20sec cooldown). On bosses, this does not immobilize or stun. (1AP/Rank)
    Tenacious Hunter: Against Extraplanar creatures and Marked Targets (regardless of whether or not they are extraplanar), you deal an additional +2/4/6 damage with Longbows and Shortbows. (1AP/Rank)
    Scattershot: Ranged Bow Attack: Expend one charge to randomly select up to three different enemies at close range and shoot one arro at each of them. Each of these shots can Doubleshot. 2 second cooldown. This feat gives 3 charges, you regain 1 charge every 12 seconds you don't use Scattershot or Manyshot. (Requires a Longbow or Shortbow to use). Shares Charges and a Cooldown with Manyshot.(2AP)
    Ability Score: Multiselector
        Dexterity: +1 Dexterity (2AP)
        Wisdom: +1 Wisdom (2AP)

Tier 5

Walker's Guidance: You and targeted ally gain Evasion and +5 to Saving Throws vs. Traps for 12 seconds. 60 second cooldown. (1AP)
    Banish the Quarry: If Corner the Quarry is used against a Marked Target, they take an additional 1d6 Force Damage per Character Level. This damage scales with Ranged Power. If the creature is Extraplanar, it must make a Will Save (d20+your Listen skill) or be Banished. (Bosses cannot be banished). (1AP)
    Feywild Attunement: +1 Competence Bonus to Threat Range and Multiplier with Longbows and Shortbows. (1AP)
    Misty Step: As Abundant Step, but you disappear. (Shares a cooldown with other abundant steps). (1AP)
    Improved Archer's Focus (as in Deepwood): Your Archer's Focus stance can now stack up to 25 times instead of 15. Passive: +10% Doubleshot. (2AP)

A few notes:

"Bow Attacks" in this tree require a Shortbow or Longbow.
    It is fairly intended that a non-bow user could get some good use out of this tree.
    Worth noting that anyone gaining Evasion from Walker's Guidance still has to follow Evasion rules (no med/heavy armor, etc) for Evasion to work.

Revamping of the old Shard/Seal/Scroll Epic Item System
Code:
Update 50 includes the complete refactor of the Seal/Scroll/Shard crafting system, which is usually abbreviated to s/s/s. There's a lot to get into, so let's dive right in.

All of the rest of the Heroic items from the s/s/s item packs will be revamped as part of this pass. This includes the following adventure packs:

Web of Chaos
    The Vault of Night
    The Chronoscope
    The Sands of Menachterun (NOTE: Not present in this preview!)
    Phiarlan Carnival (already completed in U39)
    The Red Fens (already completed in U36)
    Sentinels of Stormreach (already completed in U40)

All of the Epic items from the above packs will also be revamped to bring them up to appropriate scaling values (as with our other revamps).

Finally, all of the above packs will get level 30 Legendary versions of their items that will be competitive for endgame play.

So, what's changing with the upgrade flow?

Heroic items will continue to drop as-is.

Epic items are obtained in the Altar of Epic Rituals with the following recipe: Heroic Item + 50 Pack Ingredients* ( + 5 Greater Tokens of the Twelve if the item is from a Raid)

Legendary items are obtained in a new Altar of Legendary Rituals with the following recipe: Epic Item + 100 Pack Ingredients + 5 Star Fragments** ( + 250 Threads of Fate if the item is from a Raid)

*: Pack Ingredients will drop wherever Seals or Shards would drop in a moderate amount. It will likely take 2-3 runs of a quest to get enough of the material for 1 item. These ingredients are Pack Specific - for example, the Pack Ingredient for the Chronoscope would be a Broken Sliver of Time, etc. You'll likely collect quite a bit of these, as they're a guaranteed drop and they're also obtained elsewhere, as specified below.

**: Star Fragments will be an uncommon drop from Legendary Saltmarsh to start, and will become more available later on (just like how Empty Soul Vessels will be joining the list of Threads of Fate purchasable items as of Update 50). Our goal is that it will not be hard to find enough of these to upgrade your items.

What about our existing materials?

You will be able to crunch unused seals, scrolls, and shards down into some amount of Pack Ingredients of the appropriate type.

Why not just let the Epic Items drop as-is?

Since the s/s/s is a crafting system, we don't want to invalidate previous progress. If someone has spent 10 years grinding the ESoS, we don't want to tell that person to keep farming for it, we want to actually let them get that item as soon as the update drops. They've already done the time, we need to let them turn those spare materials (which in this instance represent time they're already spent grinding) into a tangible reward.

What are you going to do about the ESoS?

Nothing, I actually don't think that item needs changing. If people can finally get and use it, that's great, I'm genuinely happy to make something that cool more accessible.

Are you worried that by making those items, which have for so long been so rare, so much easier to obtain, that you'll be invalidating the years of grinding already spent?

That's something only the players can really answer for me.

What are you going to do with the legendary SoS?

We are not going to be creating a functional Legendary version of the Sword of Shadows. If we were to create a version that kept the large expanded critical profile that it is known for it would be incredibly hard to create other comparable legendary weapons that didn't also feature that same expanded critical profile. If we were to make a functional greatsword that used the Sword of Shadows name but didn't have that expanded critical profile it would feel like a pale imitation of the lower level variants. With that being said, the plan currently is to create a cosmetic version of the Sword of Shadows featuring brand new art inspired by the current model that can be earned and shown off. We know this solution will not fit all desires but believe it necessary to avoid painting our item design into a corner.

If we have old Epic items, will we need to reobtain them?

There is already a stone-of-change recipe that will let you turn any epic s/s/s item into a new version, so no, just throw it in the stone of change, it'll fix itself. Be aware, this will effectively delete your item and give you a new one, so take care if you have Augments or Sentient Filigree that you'd want to keep.

What about Mythic Bonuses?

Since we aren't "dropping" these items, we can't rely on our existing mythic tables, so we're probably going to need to get fancy. Current plan:

Players will be able to turn a large chunk of Threads of Fate into an item that, when combined with an Epic or Legendary version of an item, upgrade it to Mythic and then Mythic +3 (or +4). Sorta like the Schism Shard recipes but more generic (so we don't need 900 different crafting recipes). Note: This is not present in this preview.

How does Saltmarsh fit into this?

Saltmarsh will contain new, level 3 heroic items, that you will then be able to upgrade into level 20 and then level 30 versions through Epic and Legendary Crafting. Saltmarsh's Legendary content will still contain a few standalone level 29 items, as well as new Augments, but a portion of Saltmarsh will require engagement with the revamped s/s/s system. Feel free to take a look at the items in this preview in the Saltmarsh Itemization post!

Note: There is also something special with certain Saltmarsh items in this system that will get to do something a little differently, but that part wasn't quite ready for this preview.

Can we walk through an upgrade process just to be sure?

Sure! Here's how someone would obtain a copy of the Legendary Kundarak Delving Boots. First, they would do the raid The Vault of Night and its subsequent raid, The Plane of Night. In the end chest on any difficulty (heroic and epic), there is a chance to obtain a copy of the heroic level Kundarak Delving Boots. From there, they would take the Kundarak Delving Boots, 50 Vault Keys (found within any Vault of Night chest that could have dropped a Seal or Shard), and 5 Greater Tokens of the Twelve, and combine them in the Alter of Epic Rituals found within The Twelve to obtain the Epic Kundarak Delving Boots. With those, they would take their new Epic Kundarak Delving Boots, 100 Vault Keys, 250 Threads of Fate, and 5 Star Fragments, and combine them in the Alter of Legendary Rituals to obtain the Legendary Kundarak Delving Boots. If you had a copy of the current Kundarak Delving Boots or Epic Kundarak Delving Boots, you can skip right ahead to whichever part of this process, as the old items from before the revamp will work with this new system.

In short, shards, seals, and scrolls are being replaced by crafting ingredients from each pack. Raid items will require Greater Tokens of the 12 to upgrade, while upgrading to Legendary versions of these items will require a new item. Also, gear from the packs that have not seen an upgrade to the basic heroic items will have their stats upgraded. The old stuff will be convertible to new pack ingredients, so no progress will be lost. Save your shit!

No LSoS.

Other stuff:

New Augments are being introduced. I lack any ability to care.
Saltmarsh is Level 3, which is really becoming a packed level range considering how fast it is to get past that range.

Saltmarsh is Level 3, which is really becoming a packed level range considering how fast it is to get past that range.

As much as I love low to lowest level content - I agree with you. Sharn is already ver good, and then there's Catacombs.

But … Maybe this follows my theory that they maybe want to build up a non-Eberron leg with levelling / questing completely outside of Eberron.
This would have the benefit of attracting more people who don't like Eberron, and prefer Forgotten Realms etc. .

But that didn't come unexpected, since the wilderness was there with level 3 for a long time already within the Adventure Compendium.

Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if U50 would hit the live servers on 1st of July.

They patched one hole in content with the new chain (lvl12), but levels 7, 9, and 10 are still very thin. Having them bunched together like that makes it even worse since you can't really steal from neighboring content to get thru the level. Might not be quite so bad if Threnal wasn't horrible and didn't jump around level so badly, but even fixing that wouldn't be sufficient. At 7 you've got Sentinels and ToEE, and that's it. The only chain contained in 9 is Red Fens; the other stuff there just "passes thru". Lvl10 brings Borovia1 and a pair of two-fers, Dragonborne and Restless Isles. Slim pickings, indeed, particularly if you're trying to avoid running the same content every single life.

Yeah, I think they're banking on people banking XP from L6 and running some older stuff below level like Delera's and Tangleroot. L8's short on volume as well, though it does have some high XP stuff to compensate.

It's not just XP/quest variety though. There's a gap in modern loot too; plenty at L3, but you pretty much have to go to Ravenloft for the next major upgrade. Then it's a gap to 15, 17, and then it's a huge gap in modern gear up until around mid Epics.

18-20 Heroic is pretty much all old stuff too; while it's mostly filler these days (my 5k favor run, I hit 20 before finishing the L16 content), I think Shadowfell's second half was the last new stuff in that range.

Anyone else having trouble getting into the game? My launcher fires and it takes my account info, then asks me to select the game world (Khyber shows as "up"). Once I pick Khyber, it promptly drops back to desktop.

Hm, no problems.
Maybe you started the game when the servers weren't fully up ?
Weekly restart, maybe ?

Besides, Level 10 also has Ataraxia's Haven, don't know whether you mean that by "a pair of two-fers".

Sorrowdusk Island is also there, l but I really don't know about xp.
Sorrowdusk, however, is one of the few chains left with that "chain end reward nameds loot list", so to say. With more or less guaranteed named loot. Like Tangleroot still has and Catacombs had.

No reset this week, and like I said the server showed "up".

Did a fresh install. Still have the same disease. Turned off Malwarebytes. No luck. Everything was fine yesterday. Firetruck...

Well, at least your PC still runs.
At work, we've had a short cut off the current. A colleague's PC didn't run afterwards anymore.

Yeah, I agree with Az that a Windoze update is the most likely cause; it has a bad habit of changing settings to block certain activities seemingly at random!! Hope you get it fixed by tomorrow. :)

I have no clue what changed, but I'm back in business now. DDO hates me...

DDO always hates you. DDO is a swirling vortex of sheer hate.

On that note, I will be working Saturday again; normally we swap out, but right now it looks like there's a heavy workload so I'm going in to help (and get that OT, since next couple of weeks will suck for it).

Last edited:
Doing some more cleanup/regearing and crafting, Mureall picked up around 100 spell power, swapped some spells, and should now be able to die more effectively in every quest. I'm going to be putting my next points into EK to pick up Shield Training at least, to try to boost her survivability.

The "Spooky Summer Event" : https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthre...is-now-live!?p=6444109&viewfull=1#post6444109

The Spooky Summer live event has arrived! Now through July 11th, get all of the following:

Night Revels
Night Revels Dungeons have +200% Rewards
+10% Reaper XP Boost
Devilish Monster Champions
Double Mysterious Remnants - twice the chance for remnants to appear!

Have fun!

NOTE on Night Revels ingredients: We will expire both last fall's (October 2020) and this summer's ingredients prior to the start of the next Night Revels event this fall.

Good for those who haven't thrown away last years' Night Revels ingredients ...

Welp, when it rains...

Got up this morning and my computer won't post; MB is dead. Good time to have to replace a rig too.

I'm probably going to end up buying something off the shelf to get by, so I don't expect to be out, but if I'm late Friday, don't wait up.

Back
Top Bottom