Baldur's Gate-esque campaigns for NWN - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Baldur's Gate-esque campaigns for NWN

Default Baldur's Gate-esque campaigns for NWN

March 12th, 2017, 07:12
Originally Posted by Lilura View Post
Yeah, it's not blatantly obvious. Without social skills or sleight of hand you need to inquire about the book to each of the inn guests, one of whom will misspeak and open himself to confrontation (it's random as to which one misspeaks).
Hmm. I must have really messed it up, because I've spoken to every character on the second floor and no one misspeaks. :/

Then again, I did not attempt to Bluff or Intimidate any of them. A couple of the "copied" NPCs say that they saw someone roaming around at night, a couple others say the Halfling in room 6 is suspicious, but I have talked to everyone several times and get the same answers. I also have a pretty high Charisma and very high Persuade skill as my selected extra Feat was Skill Focus - Persuasion.

Maybe it's a bug? Or some weird unseen skill check I am not passing?

Deleted User

Mentioned: Post(s)

March 12th, 2017, 07:46
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
loading…

Best char creation music there is. Hits you it in the gut hearing it after all this time.
Ah, seeing those blocky heads again.
Oh, that music was so good. Gives me shivers. Looks like I will be playing it in my car for the next little while.

Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Seems it might be time to dust off NWN and check out some of this stuff. I do like Lilura's blog, and I think my taste in RPGs is quite similar.

Since NWN modding has been so successful, has nobody implemented some kind of mod manager application, similar to what we have for the TES games?
Ah, yes, that was such a problem especially when some jokers insisted on using Overrides instead of haks - especially client side. Of course, it was the only way you could modify character creation and that was part of the problem. If you forgot, then you broke the character for the next game you were trying.

There was even a tool someone came up that gave you silver skin and wings, etc. that the host wouldn't recognize as illegal. The Vault ended up banning it due to the controversy.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

March 12th, 2017, 10:11
Oh my, I am foolish. Great mechanic in the Tome of Zataroth quest. Wow. Incredibly clever. A bit sad that I had to read a spoiler for it, but since I'm planning on uploading the series to YouTube I didn't really want to spend a few more episodes wandering around trying to figure it out as I already spent over an hour doing so on camera. Yeesh. Brilliant, though. I have to activate my brain for this module!

Deleted User

+1:

March 12th, 2017, 12:37
I don't think there is any shame in getting stuck on Rogueknight 333's modules. They are pretty hard even for veteran role-players.

Though I'm not really a fan of Let's Plays any genuine effort can only result in promotion and more ppl playing this masterpiece (as my write-ups have shown), which is what it deserves.

Lilura

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

March 12th, 2017, 12:41
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
Oh, that music was so good. Gives me shivers.
Brought a bit of a tear to the eye, for me. So many hours of awesomeness.

Lilura

Watcher

+1:

March 12th, 2017, 14:25
loading…

Best char creation music there is.
I tend to agree. I even edited HotU so that it reverts to the original menu theme.

My favorite piece is called Temple of Tyr Alternate, or sometimes Good Temple 2

loading…
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

March 12th, 2017, 19:59
This should go into separate thread, but did they restore everything on the old site.
Thinking of going back to this…are there any underrated mods outside of "Hall of Fame"?
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

March 12th, 2017, 21:45
This should go into separate thread, but did they restore everything on the old site.
Thinking of going back to this…are there any underrated mods outside of "Hall of Fame"?
There are already multiple threads and posts about NWN Mods.

The problem would be finding them all and putting them in one thread. As I also shared many links to various NWN 1&2 mods I recommended everyone try at least once.

Before I forget I and two other members also did a few interviews on this site.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
+1:

March 13th, 2017, 01:23
I genuinely doubt we'll ever manage to finish all good modules, Bobo. There's so many of them, and several good PW that are still online.
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

+1:

March 13th, 2017, 06:21
It's probably blasphemy to you all, but I just uploaded an NWN Steam Controller configuration. You can find the information in the Steam Controller thread I made in this section.

Deleted User

March 13th, 2017, 07:30
Data scraping salvaged pretty much everything what was available on the IGN Vault by July 2013 (except the comments left by users, where mostly they only got the first page). Some mods were lost because the author previously removed their work from the Vault and they can't scrape what's not there. Maybe they are on someone's HDD, somewhere, and will pop up again oneday. But otherwise, gone forever.

Overlooked NWN modules
Overlooked NWN2 modules

For an updated breakdown on mods (not modules) for NWN and NWN2, see here and here. Those links also contain a section with links to all kinds of module lists written up by community members (towards the bottom of each post).
Last edited by Lilura; March 13th, 2017 at 07:41.

Lilura

Watcher

+1:

March 13th, 2017, 08:51
Unreal amounts of content just in the overlooked modules alone. Great work at preserving things, Lilura. Your site is very valuable.

I'm enjoying Swordflight quite a bit. Tough-as-nails combat and attention required. It's a really nice module so far.

Deleted User

+1:

March 13th, 2017, 15:33
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Unreal amounts of content just in the overlooked modules alone. Great work at preserving things, Lilura. Your site is very valuable.
Thanks. It's about increasing awareness of NWN and its custom content, which is really needed because even on dedicated RPG venues there is a lot of ignorance surrounding NWN. There are other bloggers out there who have done it for years, but with the exception of one or two dev blogs (which focus on their own campaign dev) they are not so active in recent years.

Lilura

Watcher

+1:

March 13th, 2017, 15:43
Originally Posted by Lilura View Post
Data scraping salvaged pretty much everything what was available on the IGN Vault by July 2013 (except the comments left by users, where mostly they only got the first page). Some mods were lost because the author previously removed their work from the Vault and they can't scrape what's not there. Maybe they are on someone's HDD, somewhere, and will pop up again oneday. But otherwise, gone forever.

Overlooked NWN modules
Overlooked NWN2 modules

For an updated breakdown on mods (not modules) for NWN and NWN2, see here and here. Those links also contain a section with links to all kinds of module lists written up by community members (towards the bottom of each post).
Woo, that's plenty. Think I'll give Bastard of Kosigan a try next, seems interesting from description. After, I'm done with Prophets.
Shame that Twilight( or Midnight?) series never got finished.
Not sure why, but somehow the visuals hold up, cute lego box style. Especially when characters talk, and bobble their heads, left and right.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

+1:

March 13th, 2017, 15:47
Just a lil' more on NWN blogs. There used to be a big circle - you could see their blogrolls - but most of them are dead, some have been pulled so aren't even available on Wayback (Alazander), and others made private (Maerduin).

I have linked only to active blogs on lilura1 that I've come across, all of which are dev blogs. I have ignored others due to lack of quality, lack of focus, or promotion of "adult content".

Lilura

Watcher

March 13th, 2017, 23:15
Lilura, do you prefer NWN or NWN2? Or no preference?

Recently installed NWN2 and while the camera is pretty horrifying, the controls seemed intuitive enough.

Mustawd

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

March 13th, 2017, 23:45
I'm not Lilura but in the words of Mr Castanza, I feel I must unburden myself

I'm a fan of both games, I've played a lot more NWN1 than 2 and probably prefer it over #2.

NWN2 always feels a little cramped and yes the camera can be a pain. There's also a really annoying rubber banding/turning in place bug that really screws over people like me who like exploring in quazi first person mode using the keyboard to move. That said, NWN2 can be made to look pretty nice (getting rid of the ridiculous weapon models was my first priority) and like the first one follows D&D rules fairly closely so character building can become half the game. The big plus for NWN2 for me is it allows full party control which you can't really do in #1.

I believe (no personal experience) it's harder to build things in NWN2 than NWN1. I also believe it had/has more bugs and was a bit of a system hog back in the day, not so much of a problem now.

Both have somewhat lackluster main quests, they're ok and long but the expansions are generally considered better. I think because of the combination of the draw backs mentioned above there's less community content for NWN2. Could also be that NWN1 hit that early sweet spot, there really is an awesome amount of content for NWN1. I've got over 200 adventures for NWN1 waiting to be played (one day) and about 75 for NWN2. There's still a few online worlds running for both, I played a fair bit on Greyhawk. Online adds the element of no saving and no pausing which can make things just that little bit more exciting, or frustrating depending on how things work out.

Both are good games if you like D&D and for how much they cost these days and the volume of content you can get highly recommended.

Edit - one last plug… For NWN1, if you want to carry across a party from one module to the next get OldMansBeard's Henchman System. It lets you create your own party members, in any module, including the official ones. It also lets you save your party and bring them over into another module with all their levels and gear etc. A really awesome mod if you do some sort of hero's path type thing and want something more than just your main character, you can even swap around who the main PC is if you like.

Have fun
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner
Last edited by KaosWarMonk; March 14th, 2017 at 00:07.

KaosWarMonk

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

March 14th, 2017, 02:14
That is a really awesome suggestion Kaos, thanks. Is it this one mod? https://neverwintervault.org/project…enchman-system
--

luj1

SasqWatch

March 14th, 2017, 02:24
Yes that's it.

Funny thing, I played most of the OC with it before finding out about the various in game henchmen and that they had stories to go along with them. You can actually use both the in game story henchmen and those you create for OHS, so best of both worlds.
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner

KaosWarMonk

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

March 14th, 2017, 02:55
NWN is the game I turn to whenever I get an itchy for D&D - there are still so many good modules I haven't played/discovered. And yeah, Lilura's blog is so invaluable!

Sadly, I cannot stand NWN2 for reasons Kaos highlighted above. There is one mod I really want to try though - Maimed God's Saga. Maybe one day Still not ready for NWN2

purpleblob

+1:

Tags
baldur's gate, darkness over daggerford, lilura, neverwinter nights, nwn 2 is good, ossian studios
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Baldur's Gate-esque campaigns for NWN