General News - iOS Utlima Type Game Coming Soon

I have one now. So far there's Gurk and Puzzle Quest II.

After interviews with Intel and Amazon this summer I'm someone convinced this is the platform everyone should be working towards.

Except if Windows 8 takes off...

I still miss my Apple //c :'(

Just FYI, he followed up on that comment and said they're gonna do this on Android too.

-Sergorn

I think the people that get mad that he has 'abandoned' the PC miss an important point about Garriott. He made his name, and is fortune, not so much on the PC (or the various computers before the PC took over), but by pushing the envelope. It just happened that pushing the envelope occurred on the PC. He's always been about doing what is cutting edge and the fact is that the PC market simply isn't the cutting edge, while the tablet and phone market is.

Not that I don't want to see him make a PC game, I do!

Still doesn't change the fact that Ultima was a great series and he dumped it to pursue his dreams of a MMO. Not anything wrong with that except for the fact that I really enjoyed his SP games and wish he stuck with us to make more.

I remember reading in RUN magazine or one of the others about how he wanted to make a MMO game back before there was even such a thing as MMO (I believe there were called MUDs back then ;)). Well he did it and did it well from how successful Ultima Online was.

The point is that it's great for him that he did that, but bad news for his SP fans like myself.

Now that he is returning to SP after what? A decade? Two? It's for the freaking iOS/Android. That's great…..So in other news there are developers who give a rat's ass about SP RPGs on the PC. They're called Iron Tower, Doublebear, Rampant Coyote, Basilisk Games, Soldak, Spiderweb, Heroic Fantasy Games, CDP, Obsidian, Indie Stone, Classic Games Remade and many more popping up all the time. So he can keep his iOS. I'll take one of those please.

Last edited:
Still doesn't change the fact that Ultima was a great series and he dumped it to pursue his dreams of a MMO. Not anything wrong with that except for the fact that I really enjoyed his SP games and wish he stuck with us to make more.

I remember reading in RUN magazine or one of the others about how he wanted to make a MMO game back before there was even such a thing as MMO (I believe there were called MUDs back then ;)). Well he did it and did it well from how successful Ultima Online was.

The point is that it's great for him that he did that, but bad news for his SP fans like myself.

Now that he is returning to SP after what? A decade? Two? It's for the freaking iOS/Android. That's great…..So in other news there are developers who give a rat's ass about SP RPGs on the PC. They're called Iron Tower, Doublebear, Rampant Coyote, Basilisk Games, Soldak, Spiderweb, Heroic Fantasy Games, CDP, Obsidian, Indie Stone, Classic Games Remade and many more popping up all the time. So he can keep his iOS. I'll take one of those please.

I agree 100%. I'd LOVE to see him make a top quality stand alone game again for the PC. I just don't get the hate towards him for essentially doing what made him successful in the first place.

I think the people that get mad that he has 'abandoned' the PC miss an important point about Garriott. He made his name, and is fortune, not so much on the PC (or the various computers before the PC took over), but by pushing the envelope. It just happened that pushing the envelope occurred on the PC. He's always been about doing what is cutting edge and the fact is that the PC market simply isn't the cutting edge, while the tablet and phone market is.

Not that I don't want to see him make a PC game, I do!

I think the PC is not cutting edge because no one is taking risks and doing cutting edge. It's not the medium, it's the media. You still see some of it. I would say in some respects the Witcher 2 is. Visually, it's right up there with some AAA shooters and I would say it's the most visually stunning non-shooter game.

As far as most of the games on iOS and Android go, I wouldn't say they are cutting edge so much as they are popular and trendy, which is an important distinction. At least in terms of the tablets, and increasingly this is true for phones as well, most of those games don't even come close to pushing the limit of the hardware. They are also mostly remakes of old games or games in the style of old games, so they aren't really anything new.

To me, I see Richard Garriott as someone who used to be a trend setter and is now a trend follower. First and foremost he goes where the money is but that wasn't always the case.

I agree 100%. I'd LOVE to see him make a top quality stand alone game again for the PC. I just don't get the hate towards him for essentially doing what made him successful in the first place.

He switched genres. I'm not really sure what's not to get. Sure he might have been pushing the envelope, but does that get me another Ultima game in the genre that made him successful in the first place?

Call it selfish, but I would love for Lord British to make a singleplayer Ultima or Ultima-like game on the PC again. I would buy it without reading one review or seeing any screenshots or any information at all on it. Just tell me he developed it and bam! I'm there. Tell me he's creating a game for the iOS and well……you get this reaction :p

The dude created a diehard fan out of me with Ultima III and he continued to have one even up to Ultima 9. Then he jumped ship.

So the point here is that we get no new RPG for the PC from him even when he FINALLY heads back to SP after a horribly long stint in MMO-land.

Still doesn't change the fact that Ultima was a great series and he dumped it to pursue his dreams of a MMO.

Dumped it?

Garriott has no role in EA/OSI's decision making of killing all their single player franchise in 98/99 to make instead MMO that all got cancelled. UO was definitly a genre pushing game, but I don't think anyone - Garriott included - ever thought at the time it would drive Origin in the ground because EA would suddently felt it was a "genius idea" to turn his AAA single player studio into a MMO only company.

Sure, he could have stayed at EA and worked on Ultima Online 2 (which is what EA/OSI's management wanted him to do), but I doubt that would have changed anything, and I can understand that he wanted to try new things as well.

And while Tabula Rasa was admitedly a failure, I thought the basic concept behind it (ie: he wanted to bring the equivalent of a single player RPG into a MMO environment) was sound and still is though this day altough I don't think anyone has ever nailed it a this point.

To me, I see Richard Garriott as someone who used to be a trend setter and is now a trend follower. First and foremost he goes where the money is but that wasn't always the case.

I don't know. Garriott feels to me like the guy who always wants to try new things and push things in new direction - this is basically what he aims to do with Portalarium and social games: he doesn't want to create Zynga-type games, he wants to create fullbown gaming experience in the social media land. He sees this as a new frontier in gaming and basically a new way to distribute games, and I can understand his reasoning in this case. That's not to say he's gonna succeed, but I'm certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until his "New Britannia" concept comes to the light of day.

I think trying to paint Garriott as just going "where the money is" is a tad unfair. He seemed very passionate about MMOs, and he seems very passionnate about Portalarium as well.

I also think he doesn't want to work with big corporate companies like EA and NC Soft anymore, hence the indie approach of Portalarium as well. We'll see how that goes.

-Sergorn

He switched genres. I'm not really sure what's not to get. Sure he might have been pushing the envelope, but does that get me another Ultima game in the genre that made him successful in the first place?

Call it selfish, but I would love for Lord British to make a singleplayer Ultima or Ultima-like game on the PC again. I would buy it without reading one review or seeing any screenshots or any information at all on it. Just tell me he developed it and bam! I'm there. Tell me he's creating a game for the iOS and well……you get this reaction :p

The dude created a diehard fan out of me with Ultima III and he continued to have one even up to Ultima 9. Then he jumped ship.

So the point here is that we get no new RPG for the PC from him even when he FINALLY heads back to SP after a horribly long stint in MMO-land.

I get wanting him to make another Ultima game. I don't get the hate for the guy with comments like shitting on his grave.

I disagree. He set trends on the PC by doing something a lot of other people were doing, but doing it a lot better and in an original way. Just because other people have made iOS (or Android) games doesn't mean that he can't trend set in the same way he did on the PC.

Well we will see if his mobile and social gaming forays set trends or not. Obviously, I have my opinions. Nothing he has done for over a decade comes close to anything that I think could be said to set trends, let alone be considered successful, but people have made comebacks before.

As far as most of the games on iOS and Android go, I wouldn't say they are cutting edge so much as they are popular and trendy, which is an important distinction. At least in terms of the tablets, and increasingly this is true for phones as well, most of those games don't even come close to pushing the limit of the hardware. They are also mostly remakes of old games or games in the style of old games, so they aren't really anything new.

Really? Want to see me list 20 games that do push the limites of phone/tablet hardware, or did so when they came out?

You're misunderstanding cutting-edge, too. It's not about pushing the technical limits so much as doing new things. Moving to mobile devices full and complete games that were previously only available on PC or console is a new thing. And, yes, it is popular. Not surprisingly so, considering the functions of many devices are being pushed into fewer devices, and the ability to have these functions with you at all times is appealing.

Pulleeeease release this for Android! I'm a Richard Garriott fan and the fantastic world of Ultima he created.

EDIT:
Just noticed he posted a day later saying they will have one for Android too :) Hooyah!

The man made 9 Ultima games. I think its fair to say that he has given the PC RPG world more than its due already. I also think its OK if he pursues other interests now why should i feel entitled in any way just because I played and liked some of his past games? And to be honest, if he were to make another SRPG today, it would expect it would be met with such unrealistic expectations, that it would be bound to dissapoint. I totally get that he would not want to do this anymore.

I don't get this? We aren't allowed to WANT an Ultima game on the PC? No, this is too much to ask or we are entitled.

To hell with entitled, I just want to play the game on the PC. This is too much to ask for though?

That's the bottom line. I would love to play an Ultima "like" game on the PC and have no interest in the iOS.

I don't get this? We aren't allowed to WANT an Ultima game on the PC? No, this is too much to ask or we are entitled.

To hell with entitled, I just want to play the game on the PC. This is too much to ask for though? So sorry then. I'll keep my fat mouth shut on how I loved the god damn Ultima series and would like to play another on the PC.

Of course we are allowed to want an Ultima game. It's the hate for Garriott simply because he is not complying that is mind boggling. You'd think the guy killed your dog or something.

I already changed it. Too aggressive and stupid.

It's a sore subject for a lot of us. We're entitled if we want another Ultima game on the PC or are mad that he ditched us.

It's only my opinion on the matter after all and my opinion is that this sucks.

I really don't understand why it's mind boggling to you?

One of the most beloved RPG series ever was ditched and never to be seen again and when he comes back to SP it's for a different platform. Yea, that makes me a little pissed, but whatever. It's not like he killed my cat ;) (I don't have a dog :p)

It's a sore subject for a lot of us. We're entitled if we want another Ultima game on the PC or are mad that he ditched us.

Yes, I do find this stupid. I used to be mad at Metallica for changing course and making dumb music. I got older and got over it. They can do what they want. Yes, I can have an opinion about it, but being mad at them for "ditching" me, or "asking" for another Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets? Really? I have no place asking them for anything.

But I can think they're stupid and that they suck.

Acting all angry that Garriott wants to make an iOS game is dumb. Disappointment is more appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom