Drakensang The more I play the more disappointed I get

Well, to have a variety of beers in Ferdok would actually add to the realism ... But I tend to believe that the developers just didn't have time for that ...

No. Rather money vs. time. I thought you would already know how many things had been cut because of lack of money ...

Jesus Christ, combat truly seems to be terrible in this game, or maybe I just suck.

I'm fighting the last phase of that nordo-whatever the f$%@ it's supposed to be and it's like some Terminator that doesn't stop going after my spell caster, running through my other characters and shit. WTF is with this game? Then this idiot finishes off all my other characters except for rhulana, but neither of these clowns can land a hit so they just endlessly miss each other all the while both keep regenerating so no one dies... has anyone else had this craziness?

Not sure which fight you refer to, but I know the situation. If both duelists have good defensive talents (mainly dodge and parry), hits are difficult. I gave all chars good defensive talents, and it helped a lot. The point is that you need a second attacker to bypass a good parry. Attacks from behind don't get any parry.

I wonder what fight is this.

Nordo-whatever? hmm...
The difficult fights I remember in the game were (generic names, no spoilers I hope)
- The first fight against the 2 dudes (if you try without a companion)
- Mother rat
- The tree (if you don't fight with some strategy)
- Amazon quest
- The last fight under the dwarven city (ahh, I think this may be the fight he's referring to?)
If this is the one, what I did was run away all the way back to the start of the hallway (you disabled the trap, didn't you?), that way the 'adds' didn't come
- parts of the mountain path
- final fight

Jesus Christ, combat truly seems to be terrible in this game, or maybe I just suck.

I'm fighting the last phase of that nordo-whatever the f$%@ it's supposed to be and it's like some Terminator that doesn't stop going after my spell caster, running through my other characters and shit. WTF is with this game? Then this idiot finishes off all my other characters except for rhulana, but neither of these clowns can land a hit so they just endlessly miss each other all the while both keep regenerating so no one dies... has anyone else had this craziness?

Is this on the first castle you visit ?

It is really a tough fight, but manageable.

I did it so that I kind of "buffed" (is that the term ?) my own characters, plus put available points into weakening spells/strengthening spells and tried to use weapons which ggenerate wounds. (Although I don't remember anymore whether this enemy was immune to wounds or not ?)

This is one of the few fights where I sdwitched over to turn-based, because even the tiniest step must be plannd thoroughly, healking spells must come out really fast, and potions also.

Remember that you can use grindstones to make your weapons sharper for a certain number of rounds !

Plus, if a fight contains allies - try to protect them ! Because they can attract attention - like "tank" or what the right term is ? Meanwhile other partymembers can attack the back of the enemy, for example, where he cannot parry.

(As a sidenote, Rondra frowns upon beating the back of an enemy ! Because there is no honour in it !)

Nordo-whatever? hmm...
The difficult fights I remember in the game were (generic names, no spoilers I hope)
- The first fight against the 2 dudes (if you try without a companion)
- Mother rat
- The tree (if you don't fight with some strategy)
- Amazon quest
- The last fight under the dwarven city (ahh, I think this may be the fight he's referring to?)
If this is the one, what I did was run away all the way back to the start of the hallway (you disabled the trap, didn't you?), that way the 'adds' didn't come
- parts of the mountain path
- final fight
For me those fights was tough too, sometimes more than one or two you quote:
  • The fights against the 4 fire elementals.
  • Some fights on the road to the non ruined castle.
  • The fight against the lich.
  • The final long fight of the merchants.
  • The fight against the big skeleton, is it already in your list?
  • The fight against the big lizard.
  • The final fight of Tallon.
  • The fight against the moorbridge summoner, until I applied the right (classical) tactic.
  • The fight against the wolf and the bear.
  • Hey even the first fight against two wild boar.
There's certainly a few more, I just forget them. Only very few of them stuck me few or more.

LOL sorry, I wrote that when I was REALLY frustrated. It's the fight with the orc, turned lizard man, turned super lizard man. Traldar fights with you, but can't be selected. It's his castle I guess. Anyways, I beat him, because I finally remembered to actually cast some useful spells such as Lightning Find You, and suddenly it was the easiest battle ever.

But yeah, Rhulana and that guy fought forever, each would occasionally do 3 or 4 damage, but it'd heal. This game probably shouldn't allow you to heal automatically during battle. It doesn't really make sense and it should probably be left to magic and healing skill.

Sorry for being so vague before :blush:

Last edited:
For me those fights was tough too, sometimes more than one or two you quote
Heh, I see that everyone has his own difficult fights. Which is fine, because it shows that the game has at least some diversity in its fights. For example, I found the final fight of the game easy.
My most problematic fights were the final fight in the ruined Blood Mountain castle (after having botched the "sneaking" quest) and stuff involving fire. The fight against the four fire elementals was one that I skipped: I snatched the key and ran away.

Ha this fight (Toth fight), I don't remember it well. Yes it wasn't that easy too. I think my team die once here.

EDIT: Pfiou if I knew I could skip the fire elementals I would apply! In the fights listed, by wolfing or me, there's quite many my team didn't die at all so the result is you don't find them that difficult. Those I found very difficult are quite few in fact. Those I found rude there's quite more. For example I fought against 4 giant crabs, dam perhaps the tougher fight, in fact I give up try.

1. This is by far the weirdest post I've ever seen on our forum.
2. Yes, you probably suck at combat in Drakensang. ;)

Ha this fight (Toth fight), I don't remember it well. Yes it wasn't that easy too. I think my team die once here.

EDIT: Pfiou if I knew I could skip the fire elementals I would apply! In the fights listed, by wolfing or me, there's quite many my team didn't die at all so the result is you don't find them that difficult. Those I found very difficult are quite few in fact. Those I found rude there's quite more. For example I fought against 4 giant crabs, dam perhaps the tougher fight, in fact I give up try.

Some of the ones you mentioned I just forgot about them, others were not that difficult in my case. In the case of the fire elementals, since my character was an elementalist, his fire elemental was immune to their 'fire shields', so it lasted quite a while against one or 2 of them while the group concentrated on the other stuff. Still tough, but forgettable. So what makes some fights 'memorably difficult' depends on factors like your party composition and just plain luck (and of course, use of different strategies)

Luck can definitely be a factor, I still remember the first time I did the battle against Saverok with the secondary goal to protect the two "diplomats", I win the fight and save them both, then request the magic user to teleport me and then regret to have act so fast so load back the game, last save was before the battle... I never again succeed save them both! :biggrin:

Sometimes because you don't think to apply the right tactic you die and die until you remember to use the simple good way. I had one case in Drakensang, for a tactic I applied in plenty CRPG, plenty times:

It's against the summoner magic user. I cannot count the number of CRPG where rush to kill the magic user is the simple tactic that changes all. But for some reason I took a long time before to use it in this fight.

It's against the summoner magic user. I cannot count the number of CRPG where rush to kill the magic user is the simple tactic that changes all. But for some reason I took a long time before to use it in this fight.

The funny thing is that in Drakensang some enemies use this tactic, too. ;)
(Mother Rat & the cellar.)

P.S. : @Thoth, could you put the first part of your latest post into spoiler tags ?

Lol yes one more reason that should have make me think of it faster than I did! And :

Another example of this tactic is also the fight quoted by toth. With a variation more complicate but still.

Yes, you are right. :) ;)

Back
Top Bottom