Drakensang - Review @ Cheatcc

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A favourable review of Drakensang is online at Cheatcc, with a score of 3.7/5. Here's a snippet:
In an RPG, it's all about the gameplay. The story doesn't make or break the game, but a good story is always coveted. Sometimes a weak story can be overcome by good character development, with good dialogue and voice acting. Dark Eye's presentation is very good, certainly worth more than the thirty-dollar price tag. The story is good… it's not great, but the characters more than make up for it. There is a discernable difference when compared to recent Japanese-produced RPGs. The focus is entirely on the single-player experience. The characters are less exuberant and cocky, and they're not anime. However, they are still standard RPG characters. As cliché as they may be, there's a sharp vein of humor that runs through the presentation, letting us know the developers are aware of having to include these traditional characters to remain true to the genre. Dark Eye is not a comedy, and when things get intense, the mood gets very dark. Adhering to the proven, manic RPG formula, the developers work their magic within this framework. They did not attempt to reinvent the wheel in terms of gameplay, but they've rust-proofed and lubricated it so that it rolls along just fine.
Thanks, Grandor Dragon!
More information.

It says: "Don't miss a chance to play a game marinated in the classic RPG tradition."

And still they only "Good" 3.7/5 (75%)?

I think the score by itself is fair enough. too many games get too high scores these days. Drakensang is good, and some aspects of it very good. I enjoyed the game quite a bit. 75% is still far better than average, which would be 50%.

Of course in these inflational times, the score is not fair when you compare it to some other scores given.

Yes, it's sad that big budget games can buy the mainstream press and so those games get 90%+ just because they paid for the review. I loved Fallout, but it was no better than Drakensang.

Heh. My review looks like it'll rate the game about an 8.0, but that's also one of the highest scores I've ever given a game on GB (BioShock was higher, but in hindsight I probably rated that game too high. It was my first review, beginner's mistake). It's definitely better than Fallout 3, which I would have rate in the mid 7s at best (higher if it had more technical polish. As a polished release Fallout 3 might've been an 8 too)

But yeah, modern game reviewers use the 6-10 scale for the AAA titles, with only 8-10 being really viable scores and anything below 8 being an absolutely terrible game. 9/10 should be read as "average", which is about as ridiculous as you can get.

You did the Review ?

Yes, Alrik, my dear.

But not this one above... nor the one on RPGWatch (which is in fact not yet out)... - "just" the one on his home site, GameBanshee (GB).

Follow the link in his signature!

Cheers,
Ragon

P.S.: Btw, Brother, was that said review featured on RPGWatch news at all? Did i miss it?
Or is it still unreleased either?
(Yeah, yeah, i know, :uneasy: "follow your own advice, my son - follow the link...!" :ahoy:)

P.P.S.: ... you always should let the people speak for themselves... :smug:

Last edited:
Yes, it's sad that big budget games can buy the mainstream press and so those games get 90%+ just because they paid for the review. I loved Fallout, but it was no better than Drakensang.

Fully agree.

Yes, Alrik, my dear.

But not this one above... nor the one on RPGWatch (which is in fact not yet out)... - "just" the one on his home site, GameBanshee (GB).

Follow the link in his signature!

I should've been aware of that ... Okay, now it is clear. :)

Drakensang is quite good, at this point it captures me more than most CRPG I played those last years.

About rates, You cannot decently put rate as low than 10% or even 30% to most games, there's an unfair psychological effect. I don't think it's ok to have an average at 50%, it's more fine to have a much higher average like 75%. You'll get less people angry and you can build anyway a fair scale between 50% and 100%.

Back
Top Bottom