Classic RPG's

Rawsarrow

Born White, Died Unknown
Okay so i think that a few old rpg's from the mid 90's to to early 80's were fun and here is my list of favriote rpgs from that era:

1.Elder Scrolls: Arena - I recomend this to anyone that is willing to play it now its free from the elder scrolls website but there links no longer work you can get it from gamershell use google.

2.Abandoned Places - Wow this game i liked but it was a little on the slow side, but its worth it if your bored and on a slow computer.

3.Quest For Glory IV: Shadows Of Darkness - all the OFG are fun i personly like this one because its so darn confuseing for me haha.

So what are your favriotes?

My favorites from that era? If we're talking cRPGs, those would be:

1) Daggerfall. Buying ships and houses. Buying clothes... nice clothes. Being able to play Ohmes-raht instead of those horrible cat-headed Khajit types of later games...
2) Lands of Lore. The atmosphere... the dracoid player character... the first Westwood game that's really Westwood.
3) System Shock. The feeling of being hunted. The hope to discover others who are still alive. The knowledge of being tricked time and time again by Shodan... and best of all, the elevator music.

I had many other faves during that era, of course: Thief, Arena, Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife (most of them not even faintly RPGish) and - best game of all times - Realms of the Haunting.

Hmm. Here's a hole with no bottom. ;)

My favorites are probably Ultima 6 and 7; Might and Magic: World of Xeen, and Wizardry 7.

All five gave a sense of freedom that few games of the time achieved. While this is a staple of the Ultima games, U6 and U7 really took it to another level entirely. Wizardry remains the series with my favorite character development system (I love making characters more than I love the game, actually). World of Xeen I loved the atmosphere, the less-than super seriousness that was refreshing to me. It still is; WoX is what I turn to when I need a pick-me-up. That, and Jimi Hendrix.

I don't have a list since my memory is kind of fail and i would, like, totally don't know which one to put here and which one to put there and which one to put below this other one and stuffies. My totally favorite role playing game from that era, though, is The Legacy: Realm of Terror, a very hardcore and unfair dungeon crawler with a modern day, supernatural horror setting. A really hard to come by combination, and that alone makes it worth a try.

The land of fairies and pretty witches, nya!
Wizardry 7. That game had it all. Well ... the swimming was funny.

3.Quest For Glory IV: Shadows Of Darkness - all the OFG are fun i personly like this one because its so darn confuseing for me haha.
Loved the atmosphere in QfG4.
I think I got deja vu or two while playing through Withcher´s 4th chapter :).

First real rpg was that I played and beat was Ultima VI. I had never been on a computer before, but i picked it up fairly quick, with particular haste after a friend bet me 100$ that I couldnt finish the game.

I ended up really having a great time w/ the game, Ive been tempted to play it again.

Wait for the final release of U6P in a few weeks time.

I never really got into some of the main western RPG-series of old.

I never played any of the gold box SSI games (except Pool of Radiance briefly).
I never played any of the Ultima games (except the first).
I started with the 6th game in the Might & Magic series but only finished 7 and beyond.
I only played (and finished) Wizardry 8.

Unfortunately many of these early RPG's doesn't even work in DOSBox.

A key reason for not playing these was that I was stuck with C64/Amiga for a long time. I didn't move to PC until 1998 thanks to Baldur's Gate. While some of the above titles appeared on Amiga I never bothered about them back then. I used to play most "3d" dungeon-style RPG's like Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master and Black Crypt.

Hero Quest II: Legacy of Sorasil is one of very few platform-specific RPG's to Amiga I know of. While it borrow some themes from the boardgame that the first game was based on, Hero Quest II is in many ways a standalone game.

hero_quest_2_003.png

Another weird title you might never have heard of is Evil's Doom SE (1998) which was a full blown Eye of the Beholder style game in hires. This means that the game itself was presented in only 16 colors, but with a brilliant artist. All story images was in full 256 color artwork for AGA enabled Amigas.

evils_doom_005.png

Then you have Speril's Legacy which is available from Team 17 for free now. It's not so much of an RPG but a Zelda clone.

speris_legacy_002.png

I have been thinking about having a second look at Captive and Liberation now when I am older. I didn't grasp them back in the day.

captive_1_002.png

captive_2_liberation_001.png

Quest for Glory 1-5 are the only Sierra adventure games I haven't completed, but they are on my "to play" list.

JM, ALL those games will work in Dosbox; I have them working on my PC and have no matter what OS I've been using.

JM, ALL those games will work in Dosbox; I have them working on my PC and have no matter what OS I've been using.

They might work in 0.73 but when I tried them in 0.72 many of them crashed or failed to execute. When I read on the dosbox page it said they were known to not work.

They might work in 0.73 but when I tried them in 0.72 many of them crashed or failed to execute. When I read on the dosbox page it said they were known to not work.

The DOSBox compatibility page isn't quite up-to-date though. Search through those that are broken, and then select each game. You'll see that they're listed as working fully under some versions, broken under others.

About the only real way to tell, since the later versions seem to be not mentioned much, is to test each game.

Mabey somone could contact the dosBox people and have them update there list? or mabey if someone here had a free weekend they could but i cant b/c my bandwith dosent allow more than 5gb transfer per month

Shannara is an equal mix of adventure and RPG. Good game, like almost everything by Legend Entertainment.

@ zakhal

I hope you give it a try, The Legacy it's a totally amazing and awesome and incredicool gamey game. I did a Let's Play thingie of it some time ago so you can read the first couple of posts to see how the game plays and how the character system is and stuffies: Clicky click, but be warned obviously spoilers abound outside the, like, two first posty posts. Also, it's in Fair Codexia, but the LP subforum is pretty civilized so there's nothing unsafe for work and stuffies, nya.

The land of fairies and pretty witches, nya!
The Legacy was nice, but unfortunately terribly buggy.

Back
Top Bottom