Battlestations: Post your gaming setup

I have a HDR 4K TV - and I've yet to detect the difference between HDR and non-HDR. I'm sure it's there, though - I just can't see it.

In night scenes (e.g a city) it is very obvious to me, the lights actually looks like lights inside the TV screen, not just like something which is captured on a normal camera.

In night scenes (e.g a city) it is very obvious to me, the lights actually looks like lights inside the TV screen, not just like something which is captured on a normal camera.

Interesting. I've only played a few HDR games and I've watched a few supposedly HDR shows.

I've tried really hard to take notice of any differences.

For instance, I bought my PS4 Pro and my 4K HDR TV largely because of Horizon Zero Dawn. That is to say, I wanted to maximise the experience and I had some cash to burn.

It looks really good, sure, but I honestly can't tell much difference from before.

You probably would need to have two screens and the same scene on both, one with HDR and one without to spot the differences. You will probably go "ahh, so that's the difference" but you will not be blown away or anything. I did such a test myself with a movie, it's there but yeah quite subtle really, i don't mind it in night scenes though, looks quite nice.

You probably would need to have two screens and the same scene on both, one with HDR and one without to spot the differences. You will probably go "ahh, so that's the difference" but you will not be blown away or anything. I did such a test myself with a movie, it's there but yeah quite subtle really, i don't mind it in night scenes though, looks quite nice.

That has been my suspicion as well :)

But I know what you're saying. I'm also a little obsessive once I DO spot the difference, because then I need to have the superior version in all cases.

So, I'm probably better off not being aware.

hehe yes i know what you mean, it's easy to get a bit obsessed with these things..

you also need HDR content, but you probably know that already. On PC a lot of titles are still lacking HDR, sometimes its there for PS4 but not on PC which is disappointing.

My modest setup at my current modest abode:

SA1UoXb.jpg

Also, I agree that a big screen is important - especially for immersion.

However, to me, 4K is way too expensive in terms of performance cost - and I'm very happy with my compromise.

Welcome to the Ultrawide Master Race!

I was always curious about that 35" with not much pixel density. How do you find 2560x1080 on that size monitor? I went with a 29" with the same resolution because I wasn't sure about how grainy it would look with a larger monitor, but I haven't actually seen it up close. But now that I think about it and see yours, i'm assuming when things are in motion, it probably doesn't matter as much.

Welcome to the Ultrawide Master Race!

I was always curious about that 35" with not much pixel density. How do you find 2560x1080 on that size monitor? I went with a 29" with the same resolution because I wasn't sure about how grainy it would look with a larger monitor, but I haven't actually seen it up close. But now that I think about it and see yours, i'm assuming when things are in motion, it probably doesn't matter as much.

I assume that's about personal preferences and what you're used to. Personally, I think it's a very decent resolution, even considering the size of the screen.

However, if you're used to a smaller screen with a similar or higher resolution, the pixels might seem a little large.

I grew up with computers like the ZX-81 and the ZX Spectrum, so it's not a thing I'm likely to fret about.

Then again, I was always about performance before most things, so there is that.

Don't have any old shots but I started on an Apple 2E as my first gaming rig.

Can't see it in the shots but I have out on a shelf the original BG games (have all of them in boxed sets with maps).

21963010143_c7fa98c54b_b.jpg

My new PC and my spare I keep for back-up or the rare guest.

22059593043_5e377451d2_b.jpg

Looks nice, but I guess I could never use mouse and keyboard without any space for wrists. I would probably had put the screens to the wall and used the full space on the desk for the inputs.

My wrists rest on a gel pad. The second shot was a temporary one the first is my main setup. The sliding keyboard works well. That being said it is why I always remap games to the right side of my keyboard because if it was on the left it unbalances the keyboard :p

Had this desk for 15 years so doubtful I will give it up. Just old and stuck in my ways. Someday maybe.

I assume that's about personal preferences and what you're used to. Personally, I think it's a very decent resolution, even considering the size of the screen.

However, if you're used to a smaller screen with a similar or higher resolution, the pixels might seem a little large.

I grew up with computers like the ZX-81 and the ZX Spectrum, so it's not a thing I'm likely to fret about.

Then again, I was always about performance before most things, so there is that.

I think currently 2560x1080 is the perfect resolution. Basically 1080p but with a little extra for peripheral vision. So not pushing a lot of pixels to cripple a GPU, but still enough to have a great experience. Like you I prefer performance first.

And I think we're around the same age, since I grew up with similar beasts like the VIC-20 (PET BASIC FTW!).

How would you review the acer predator monitor?

I wrote this in another thread:

I'm extremely happy with my Z35 Predator:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predat…/dp/B014F9QHVC

It's definitely not a perfect monitor, but it compromises in all the right ways for my personal preferences.

It's 2560x1080 - which is not as high a resolution as many are looking for, these days, but I prefer performance by a wide margin. I've used 4K monitors and have a 4K TV - and I can honestly say the increased resolution isn't a big deal - for me - and I despise the performance degradation. Most definitely not worth it, from my point of view.

It's also 35 inches, meaning it's nice and big - which, to me, is a big part of immersion.

It's 144Hz G-Sync - which is perfect for the performance focus of the monitor, because you can actually reach the kind of frame rate that would make that worthwhile.

It does have some ghosting issues when using G-Sync, and it's a subjective thing whether it's a problem or not.

I was worried at first, because I'm pedantic and I would sometimes focus on it. However, these days, I can't even see it.

But there's also a ULMB mode, which is not as bright - but gets rid of the ghosting.

Overall, it's the best monitor I've ever owned - but it's not for everyone.

I think currently 2560x1080 is the perfect resolution. Basically 1080p but with a little extra for peripheral vision. So not pushing a lot of pixels to cripple a GPU, but still enough to have a great experience. Like you I prefer performance first.

And I think we're around the same age, since I grew up with similar beasts like the VIC-20 (PET BASIC FTW!).

I'm 41 :)

Yeah, I was sceptical about that monitor at first - and I had to adjust to a few things, but I've come to love it and consider it the best monitor I've owned, so far.

The perfect compromise between size, performance and features.

But it's a highly subjective thing - and I suspect a lot of people wouldn't like it much. Especially not if you're into the "tech side" more than the practical side.

I'm ever the pragmatist, though :)

Don't have any old shots but I started on an Apple 2E as my first gaming rig.

Can't see it in the shots but I have out on a shelf the original BG games (have all of them in boxed sets with maps).

My new PC and my spare I keep for back-up or the rare guest.

Nice setup, machines, dogs and cats.

BTW: Is that a Cooler Master Haf X cabinet I see on the second photo? I have two of those, I really (and obviously) like that cabinet.

pibbur who will post pictures of his battle-station when he has finished a few maintenance tasks, mostly moving stuff from his desktop (the physical one) to where it's supposed to be. Shelves. Drawers. Kitchen. Garbage bin (the physical one). And who suspects that at least some of the battle-station environments aren't exactly like shown on the photos.

A mere chi…. sorry, didn't mean to say that.

Manchild? :)

Hey. The tech side is the practical side. It just doesn't look that way.

pibbur who is technically practical.

I know it's a joke, but I find there are two kinds of people when it comes to "gadgets" and technology.

Those who focus on the potential of the technology and how amazing it is (at least in theory) - and those who focus on the practical use they will gain from using the technology, and ignore everything else about it :)

Manchild? :)

I know it's a joke, but I find there are two kinds of people when it comes to "gadgets" and technology.

Those who focus on the potential of the technology and how amazing it is (at least in theory) - and those who focus on the practical use they will gain from using the technology, and ignore everything else about it :)

Can't disagree with that. I definitely belong to the first category, I guess that doesn't come as a surprise.

pibbur who admits that the world probably prefers more of the second kind. The wife certainly does.

Last edited:
Then you are likely not viewing hdr enabled content or your tv is configured incorrectly. HDR is night and day obvious. I have an LG oled tv and a few 4k movies (i pick the ones rated very high for 4k quality). The HDR impact is spectacular (try watching the Martian with a quality hdr configuration). Anyway for my tv there is a setting that will mostly disable hdr and I presume that is true in your case. Some streaming will enable hdr (youtube I htink) but it is not automagic - i forget which streaming services have which requirements for hdr content as I do not watch a lot of streamed content. In fact I only use the tv a few times a year.... tv just really isn't my thing.

I have a HDR 4K TV - and I've yet to detect the difference between HDR and non-HDR. I'm sure it's there, though - I just can't see it.

Back
Top Bottom