|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fig - Atari in Two Game Deal

Default Fig - Atari in Two Game Deal

September 20th, 2017, 11:07
@gamesindustry Fig is teaming up with Atari in a two game deal.

Atari is teaming up with the crowdfunding platform Fig to bring two new projects to life, though they remain tight lipped on what either might be.

Despite a prestigious legacy of arcade classics, Atari hasn't brought much to the fore in recent years. However, this new deal with Fig has promised a reboot of one of its "most beloved intellectual properties" and an entirely new IP.

"Fig is providing a model where gamers not only help to get the titles they are most passionate about funded, but also have the opportunity to share in the financial returns with developers and publishers," said Fred Chesnais, CEO of Atari. "We're excited that Fig has opened up the vast potential of crowdfunding to IP holder and publisher alike by changing the narrative and allowing us to partner with our fans."

[…]
More information.
Last edited by Silver; September 20th, 2017 at 15:14.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

September 20th, 2017, 12:07
Ermm…nope. Every time i hear Atari, i am asking how the hell they are still alive. The level of poor management was and still is beyond imagination. To even think to deal with them seems to me suicidal, especially as they are still operating under bankrupcy protection.

wolfsrain

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 20th, 2017, 14:21
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Atari own the Temple of Elemental Evil IP.
I doubt that. It's Wizards/Hasbro, for sure.
--
A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage

Avantenor

Keeper of the Watch

September 20th, 2017, 14:24
Originally Posted by wolfsrain View Post
Ermm…nope. Every time i hear Atari, i am asking how the hell they are still alive.
Every time they're on the verge of annihilation, some bigger, cash-burdened corporation buys them out. Today's Atari has zero relation to the company that created arcade classics. Irritating that they call out that ancient and unrelated history in the article.

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

September 20th, 2017, 15:15
Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
I doubt that. It's Wizards/Hasbro, for sure.
Thanks. I've corrected the newspost.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

September 20th, 2017, 16:49
The last good thing I can remember Atari doing was publishing The Witcher. They also published NWN 2 and its expansions.

As a developer though.. idk. I didn't think they even still had a development team.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

September 20th, 2017, 17:16
One of their most beloved intellectual properties? Is the world ready for a Pong reboot?

khaight

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

September 20th, 2017, 17:21
I don't get this. I mean they aren't really developers; they are a publisher that contract developers - so this funding is like giving them a lot of money to sponge off the developers they contract. Seems scamish to myself.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

September 20th, 2017, 18:51
What is interesting is some form of the "real" Atari existed until 2003.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

September 21st, 2017, 01:29
Originally Posted by wolfsrain View Post
Every time i hear Atari, i am asking how the hell they are still alive.
It isn't really them. Even the previous Atari wasn't really Atari. The real Atari retired years ago and is living like a king in Patagonia. It's all about buying and selling a recognizable name, just like the dread pirate Roberts.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

September 21st, 2017, 01:48
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
Every time they're on the verge of annihilation, some bigger, cash-burdened corporation buys them out. Today's Atari has zero relation to the company that created arcade classics. Irritating that they call out that ancient and unrelated history in the article.
The Atari that created the arcade classics is quite literally a different Atari. Atari split into two companies in 1984, one for its arcade game division, and the other for its home video consoles and games. The former was called "Atari Games", while the latter retained the original "Atari" name.

Atari Games was shutdown in 2003 - at the time of shutdown, it was no longer using the Atari name, and was known as "Midway Games West".

The home portion of Atari is the one that is still alive and that this article refers to. It was sold to Tramel Technology in 1984, then JT Storage in 1996, then Hasbro Interactive in 1998, then Infogrames in 2001.

Stingray

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

September 22nd, 2017, 01:53
I found a list of their IP online.
http://news.calyptus.net/wp-content/…IPs-Sept15.pdf

Mostly arcade stuff it seems.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

+1:

September 22nd, 2017, 11:14
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
The Atari that created the arcade classics is quite literally a different Atari. Atari split into two companies in 1984, one for its arcade game division, and the other for its home video consoles and games. The former was called "Atari Games", while the latter retained the original "Atari" name.

Atari Games was shutdown in 2003 - at the time of shutdown, it was no longer using the Atari name, and was known as "Midway Games West".

The home portion of Atari is the one that is still alive and that this article refers to. It was sold to Tramel Technology in 1984, then JT Storage in 1996, then Hasbro Interactive in 1998, then Infogrames in 2001.
Depends on your perspective. Atari already created arcade classics before the split, that's where their licences come from. Because everything Atari Games created belongs to Warner Bros Interactive now (Warner bought the rights after Midway's bankruptcy - for the third time). Tramel's portion of Atari indeed closed after the merger with JTS, Hasbro Interactive only bought the name and IP and used it for a few projects of their own. It was Infogrames (Alone in the Dark) and especially their subsidiary GT Interactive who rebranded to Atari and became the core of Atari today.
--
A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage

Avantenor

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fig - Atari in Two Game Deal