Wasteland 2 - Proposed Kickstarter Rewards

theres a difference between paying for a magnet, and paying for a bunch of stuff you don't want, while others are getting something you do want.

It contains the previous rewards so i'm not sure how you mean with others getting what you want.

I believe when you pay that amount of money it's not about the package / fridge magnet or trinket. It's more about supporting the project as a _very_ devoted fan (that happens to have too much money).

Exactly what I was trying to say earlier. You are part of funding the game and actually allowing them to make it. It's not really about cloth maps or mp3's.

everything over 100 dollar is indeed a far stretch.
To be honest, it sounds ridiculous.
I joined these forums entirely to respond to this post. Let me try to help you understand why it sounds ridiculous to you, but not to some of us:

First, think of your favorite game ever. It will help if this game was your favorite game when you were a pre-teenager, in that era when anything you get into can seem like literally the most important thing in the world. Now, think about your favorite game and what happened to it—Did it come out so long ago that it is impossible to get people to play today? Did it ever get the attention it deserved? Did it ever get a sequel? Did it have multiple abortive attempts at a sequel for over two decades, only to have nothing come of it again and again?

But wait, there is more—did your favorite game also spawn one of the most popular game series in history, all while still failing to receive an actual sequel? And did your favorite game ever, over two decades after it first changed your life, suddenly have the very real possibility of a sequel, but ONLY IF IT COULD RAISE A MILLION DOLLARS?

After reading all of this, maybe you can understand why people such as myself are seriously looking at their savings and wondering how much of them we can afford to give. This is an opportunity I have wanted for the vast majority of my life, and now I actually have the ability to help make it come true. I would give the $10,000 or more in a heartbeat if I actually had that kind of money.

Edit because I want to keep going: Wasteland not only made me a lifelong fan of the post-apocalyptic genre, it was my introduction to the genre. It coalesced my growing interest in RPGs and solidified them as my favorite genre still to this day. It is impossible to overstate the influence Wasteland had on my interests, even if obviously some people would consider "the foundation of things I like to do for fun" not a legitimate thing to spend money on. But I have spent my whole life spending money on school and insurance and rent and gas—I wish I could have funnelled even half of that money into Wasteland 2 instead.

Surprise. Old RPG die-hards can't wrap their heads around the concept of Kickstarter and are nickel and diming everything. The point is old school RPG fans want a return to the old stuff, well, are you going to put your money where your mouth is? "But I don't want MP3's!" And like that the possibility of old school rpgs funded by kickstarter is extinguished.

Personally, I don't trust Fargo. If this were an Obsidian Kickstarter with Feargus, Avellone, & Cain onboard, I'd be more ready and willing to toss caution to the wind and open up my wallet in blind fanboy fervor. These guys have been a lot more active when it comes to quality RPGs (well Tim not so much yet).

In inXile's case, Kickstarters aren't about how many names you can dredge up from the past to convince people you're serious. That mutual respect and trust should already be there. And, if it's not, I won't be one bit apologetic if I treat this more as a tepid pre-order than as something I can throw my arms around with reckless abandon.

The fact that people are seeing this as prepurchasing 'stuff' instead of supporting a game that they want to be made, makes me not too optimistic that this will work either. Anyway I don't think I will support it, partly because I don't like the constant game necromancy. I'd rather wait and see if the game turns out interesting enough before I'll consider spending money on it.

The fact that people are seeing this as prepurchasing 'stuff' instead of supporting a game

wut? people are obviously prepurchasing to support the game they want to see.

"I'd rather wait and see", okk.. that will surely help getting the game done..

"I'd rather wait and see", okk.. that will surely help getting the game done..
No of course it won't help getting the game done. I'm personally not interested in helping this project, that's the whole point.

Personally, I don't trust Fargo. If this were an Obsidian Kickstarter with Feargus, Avellone, & Cain onboard, I'd be more ready and willing to toss caution to the wind and open up my wallet in blind fanboy fervor. These guys have been a lot more active when it comes to quality RPGs (well Tim not so much yet).

In inXile's case, Kickstarters aren't about how many names you can dredge up from the past to convince people you're serious. That mutual respect and trust should already be there. And, if it's not, I won't be one bit apologetic if I treat this more as a tepid pre-order than as something I can throw my arms around with reckless abandon.

I for one can't think of anyone in the gaming business I have more respect for than Mr. Fargo. He virtually WAS the good Interplay of old. This is enough for me.

Most of the stuff higher up is vanity stuff. That's always the case on Kickstarter. Tokens of appreciation, not actual value return on money put in. I thought the tchotchka bag at 250 was nice, tho.

but didn't get good feedback for my suggestion to make a pricetag for every option, so people chose exactly what they want.

You can't do that on Kickstarter.

Lemonhead is right about the donation bit but the $30 option is weak.

They're beefing it up.

No of course it won't help getting the game done. I'm personally not interested in helping this project, that's the whole point.
I can't help thinking that that's just simply wrong.
It's like he's talking about the 30's or something but it's about games made a decade ago… I bought them back then, and I'm still around plus I now can waste my own money on a whim without having to justify it. Someone told me that the average age of gamers is 35 years… and that actually sounds right to me… we're still here, you are just not interested to sell anything to us.
Here's your chance to prove Feargus wrong - yet you're not interested.

Would it be enough proof for Feargus if I pay for the game after it's released and if it seems like something I will actually like? Like I've done for pretty much every single game I own?

But hey, I might still decide to support it… just saying so you won't rub this post in my face six months from now if I actually do so :p

Last edited:

That is one seriously long interview. Kind of exciting to read too!
RPS: In terms of new people, is there any risk that it could be a hard sell for those for instance who have only played the newer Fallouts and expect something very different?

Brian Fargo: I’m trying to make this game to appeal to people who like the old school roleplaying games from the 90s, not just Wasteland, so it goes beyond that, it’s Wasteland, it’s Fallout, it’s Baldur’s Gate, it’s Icewind Dale, it’s that whole genre of product. Having just party based games, good old party based games with tactical combat, I love that stuff, love that stuff. Icewind Dale was a very simple game but I had such fun with that.

I just about forgave him for all the inXile crap in the past decade with what he said there.

I'm down for the $100 tier... The $250 is also tempting, autographed CE max of 1000 - not bad from a potential collectors PoV.

I'd also throw $100-$250 to an Obsidian kickstarter in the same vein.

Back
Top Bottom