Shadows of Kalendale

What are the classes available in the game? Is Paladin available?

What game system is this based off?

What are the classes available in the game? Is Paladin available?

What game system is this based off?

There are 4 classes available in the game: Fighter, Sorcerer, Cleric and Rogue. There is no Paladin class, but the Cleric is very similar, being able to use plate armor, but only limited to blunt weapons.

The game system is very loosely based off of the D20 system. When the world builder is completed, you'll be able to create monsters with stats directly from that system.

Hosting site changed. Screenshots added.

yOPGCp8.png

0LVJNt6.png

cd1yqIH.png

zWCMtbC.png

pCpUeRu.png

RtYmc4g.png

Last edited:
This is pretty cool! I've just rolled myself a fighter and I'm exploring the city. I'm a bit lost ;) but that's ok. I can see drawing a map is going to be necessary, the city quite big by the looks of things and it is difficult to navigate by text alone.

That's helpful! I've now found those locations (except the tavern, which doesn't seem to be there? Travelling south twice from the apothecary isn't an option…) and I'm exploring my first dungeon. I still haven't found a weapon but I seem to be quite effective at punching things in the face.

That's helpful! I've now found those locations (except the tavern, which doesn't seem to be there? Travelling south twice from the apothecary isn't an option…) and I'm exploring my first dungeon. I still haven't found a weapon but I seem to be quite effective at punching things in the face.

Right! Tavern was planned for future expansion, but doesn't exist yet. Plans would be to eventually add a proper quest system.

As for weapons, the blacksmith usually has something cheap to start you out with. :)

Download link has been updated to v0.104.

Fixed issue with criticals not actually doing any damage.
Fixed some grammar/spelling errors
Cleaned up the interface
Balanced a few weapons
Added city map jpg file

Download Latest Build v0.104 - UPDATED

Download Latest Build v0.106:

Shadows of Kalendale v0.106

Last edited:
Good stuff! I'm sitting around in hotel rooms again next week, so I'm going to download it onto my laptop and give it a proper go. I didn't last too long in the Crypt last time! :)

How long would you say it is, roughly?

Good stuff! I'm sitting around in hotel rooms again next week, so I'm going to download it onto my laptop and give it a proper go. I didn't last too long in the Crypt last time! :)

How long would you say it is, roughly?

Good question! It's always been a work in progress, but I would say you could get through all the (currently working) content in anywhere from 8 to 20 hours depending what class, and how you play.

Hey @Caddy;

Having fun with Shadows of Kalendale today! A few questions:
- I've found a chest but can't open it. I've tried "open", "search", "examine", "unlock". What command am I missing?
- same with searching bodies. The creatures I've killed seem to have stuff on them - when I search or examine them it says that they might have something valuable on them - but I don't seem to be able to find he correct command to search the bodies properly.
- is there a way of seeing item statistics? I currently have two weapons, but I can't see the difference between them. Examining them gives me a description but no stats.
- I think there is a missing direction link in the crypt dungeon. In the very first area you have the option of going "up" or "west." But the area to the east also connects to it. Either there should be an option to go east from the first area, or the area that links to it from the east should have the "west" option removed.

A bit more detail on my adventure here - in spoilers, as the fun in this game is the exploration and others might want to find stuff for themselves…

The adventures of Rastan the Barbarian

Woke up in a stable. Found some money and explored the town a bit. Bought a spiked club, which looked like a good way to crush my enemies and drive them before me.

Eventually I descended into a dungeon at the jail. I got lost quickly so starting mapping all of the areas out on paper. I also got repeatedly knocked out or poisoned by bandits. Eventually I decided that discretion is the better part of valour and maybe there was somewhere better to explore first where I wouldn't get knocked out so much. So I explored the town again until I found the crypt dungeon, and went down there.

Exploring the crypt I found a rusty shortsword. Hmph. I can't tell if I prefer it to my spiked club or not. Eventually I decide to stick with the club, on the grounds that the shortsword's description says that it is only slightly better than punching someone in the face.

I meet kobold skeletons and ghouls and crush them, which feels good. I come to many dead ends, but eventually discover a stairway down and a chest. I try to search the chest but can't open it. Maybe I'll manage this later.

I explore a bit more, but the fighting is taking its toll and I need to heal. I have a green vial on me from when I woke up in the stable, but when I try to drink this it turns out to be an antidote. Dammit - I thought it would be a healing potion! I decide to return to the surface to get some healing, but my 8gp isn't quite enough. Fortunately, I also have a pretty stone from when I woke up in the stable. I'll have a go at pawning that before I go back to the crypt to dig deeper into the depths…

Hey @Pongo; , glad you're enjoying your adventures in the land of Kalendale!

Some (not all) of your answers can be found in the included Player Guide document, but here's the TLDR:

- same with searching bodies. The creatures I've killed seem to have stuff on them - when I search or examine them it says that they might have something valuable on them - but I don't seem to be able to find he correct command to search the bodies properly.

The answer to this lies in the very last screenshot, a few replies above us.

When you've defeated your foe, their "corpse" will be left in the room. You'll need to "search corpse".

- I've found a chest but can't open it. I've tried "open", "search", "examine", "unlock". What command am I missing?

Treat the chest as if it were a dead body :)

I think this gives me good reason to eventually expand the text parser commands, but you'll need to "search chest".

- is there a way of seeing item statistics? I currently have two weapons, but I can't see the difference between them. Examining them gives me a description but no stats.

Yes, but not directly. One you've equipped your weapon and/or armor ("equip rusty shortsword") you can type "status" which will give you a readout of your stats with all your currently equipped items. When you "remove rusty shortsword" and look at your "status" again, you'll see the difference in not wearing/using it.

You can also type "stats" (NOTE: different than "status") which will give you your permanent stats and experience.

- I think there is a missing direction link in the crypt dungeon. In the very first area you have the option of going "up" or "west." But the area to the east also connects to it. Either there should be an option to go east from the first area, or the area that links to it from the east should have the "west" option removed.

You are absolutely correct! I will be fixing this in the next build. Thanks for finding it!

On a side note, if you're feeling beaten and bruised, you might want to try having a "rest" (or two, or three rests). Until you have enough to buy some healing potions of course.

And lastly, thank you for your Gameplay adventure recap. That was an entertaining read :)

great, thanks for the tips! I thought I'd tried that command on the chest without success - I'll have another go a bit later. I must have got the wording wrong somehow.

"Rest" - durr - can't believe I didn't think of that. Been too long since I played one of these.

The adventures of Rastan the Barbarian will continue… :)

Last edited:
yeah I must have been doing something dumb earlier. Searching corpses and chests works fine! Resting makes it a lot easier as well. Now descending to a new level of the dungeon….

Played loads more today, had a lot of fun mapping out the areas and finding the chests and boss monsters to kill. Rastan the Barbarian is now a kick-ass level 3 and armed to the teeth… he's not quite death incarnate, but the bandits aren't such a problem anymore!

I think I've covered all the content, but not sure if I'm missing anything?:

Crypts - cleared level 2 plus the boss guarding the chest
Jail - descended as far as the caverns, but that area doesn't seem to be completed yet (the only option is to return to the previous level?).

If that's it for now, I had a blast and I'll keep hold of my maps for when you next update it!

Last edited:
Played loads more today, had a lot of fun mapping out the areas and finding the chests and boss monsters to kill. Rastan the Barbarian is now a kick-ass level 3 and armed to the teeth… he's not quite death incarnate, but the bandits aren't such a problem anymore!

I think I've covered all the content, but not sure if I'm missing anything?:

Crypts - cleared level 2 plus the boss guarding the chest
Jail - descended as far as the caverns, but that area doesn't seem to be completed yet (the only option is to return to the previous level?).

If that's it for now, I had a blast and I'll keep hold of my maps for when you next update it!

Awesome! All Hail Rastan!

Yes, as time goes by, and I get some more free time, i'll be adding more areas inside the city, outside the city, and possibly even other distant cities. Quests and bosses and loots too! I spent this morning combing over my maps and comparing them with the mistakes you found. Finally found the errors and patched them up with duct tape. Thanks for finding those! Credit to you in the release log. So now v0.106 has been released!

Last edited:
Great, I'd like to see more of this. It's simple and satisfying with a nice feeling of progression.

Back
Top Bottom