Queen's Wish - Funded

He's now commented on kickstarter on art, sound and music. I'll post it here as it might interest somebody other than myself:

A few words about art.

The creature and terrain art in the Kickstarter video is pretty close to final. A lot of work went into those creatures/walls/floors, and I'm quite happy with them. The money is to get a lot more art. Much more creatures, terrain, chapter art, map art, interface art, button art, portrait art for NPCs, portrait art for PCs, status icon art.

There is so much art still needing to be done, and the costs add up fast. Fortunately, I can get artists to do the job right now, thanks to all of your generosity.

The interface in the video is totally placeholder. So are the button icons. So are the portraits. So are the fonts. Lots needs to be totally redone.
Spiderweb Software Creator 3 days ago

We are still thinking about stretch goals. A lot of stuff people are asking for we already plan to put in. For example, we already plan to make large text options for people who have vision issues. (Though we usually recommend playing our games with the monitor set to a lower resolution. Because it's a pure icon-based game, zooming isn't possible in the way it's possible in a 3-D game.)

I've also considered getting music. However, I personally dislike music in games. I really prefer environmental sounds. While I could buy music, I wouldn't be very good at evaluating its quality. I'm only good at designing things that I like enough to have opinions on.

One think I CAN consider is getting a professional sound designer, something that is probably long overdue. I'm not sure if it's a stretch goal, though. People are being so generous that I feel bad about asking for more money for something a real developer would do as a no-brainer.

Just like in the blog, this shows to me that Jeff really isn't a great marketer. I think hiring a sound designer is a perfectly legitimate stretch goal, better than a lot of fluff other game designers ask for, but he has guilty feelings about asking for money for it, even though it would make for a huge improvement in his games.

Again, my biggest hope is, since this product is still likely a year or more out, we'll see (and hear) many more improvements along the way. Bottom line for me is I know I'll be getting a game that I will play, and with some luck we will all see some improvements along the way to launch.

Again, my biggest hope is, since this product is still likely a year or more out, we'll see (and hear) many more improvements along the way. Bottom line for me is I know I'll be getting a game that I will play, and with some luck we will all see some improvements along the way to launch.

Well...
We are aiming for Queen's Wish to be out May, 2019.

He's feeling guilty about asking for more money for a sound designer in a Kickstarter that he didn't need to begin with?

New Stretch goal at 100k: Proper sound design! whee ^^

If it should come close or reach that goal, I'll back as well. Right now I still dislike the new engine too much.

I don't think its going to hit 100 but could be wrong. It fell pretty flat this weekend. I'll take that alien race though

I've got inside information he plans to run off with the money.

Well it seems he only really had three sets of games stories....I mean...do you count rehashes as new stories?

Woot $75K reached. Alien underworld is in.

We plan to have Sacramentum be settled by three different nations, each with their own culture, beliefs, problems, and tendency to violence. We would like to add another, an alien underworld nation shrouded in mystery. This will require a bunch of extra design time and art, though.

Back
Top Bottom