Bard's Tale IV

Not sure; next time i play I will go back to the start spot via fast travel and test it some more. I just don't understand the part about the sun because the totem never shows a sun it has a left side and right side with the the left side having a funky symbol I called an arrow even if it isn't and the right side which is a moon in various phase. No shinny sun :)

No. the left arrow represents the Sun, the right symbol represents the moon. Point the arrow of the SMALLEST (top wheel) to the sun constellation, and the wheel behind that (medium sized wheel) to the moon constellation. Just pay attention to which way the moon is facing. Line up the full moon symbol on the wheel to the moon direction shown on the shrine. So if the moon is facing right, line up the full moon symbol on the code wheel directly with the right facing moon. Does that make sense?

You'll then get 2 numbers representing items in the Almanac, which are the offering items. It's worth doing if you want to
craft legendary Elven puzzle weapons.

I think fluent refers to the arrow as sun (sun rays?).

Otherwise, hope the attached picture helps.

Say the shrine shows the symbols shown at the upper right. Then configure the wheel as shown. Sorry for the ugly picture.

Attachments

• codewheel.jpg
    codewheel.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 91
Yes, the left is the funky arrow, I called that the Sun side, don't think it's correct though. It's just an arrow that you line up as shown in the picture above. Test it on the Skara Brae Below shrine near the boat. Those items are easy to acquire.

So I completed Mangar's Tower awhile back but I didn't get the Shadow Snare. Where is it? The quest says completed but I'm pretty sure I missed an important item.

Using code wheels in 2018.:lol:

Those who enjoy them either loved them or they are masochistic. This also reminded me of how I don't miss making paper maps for games either. Yep hated doing that also.

I also don't miss the old DRM of inputting words form a game maual.

It's not masochistic, it's fun! :) It's exciting to find a shrine and use the wheel, at least for me. It adds a sort of hands-on feel you don't get with other RPGs. I don't want to ever enter DRM from a manual or codebook, though. But codewheels are good fun IMHO.

Yep the old DRM in game text. Nothing better then talking to an NPC for a Quest then getting asked a question where you have to read the manual, and enter the word.

It was very annoying but probably much better then modern bloatware.:biggrin:

I seriously hope the code wheel isn't actually required to play the game, and is simply an optional enticement. Back in the days when the wheel was physically included that worked fine, but having to generate and look at the wheel every so often in a separate window would only strike me as super annoying. Granted, I've not even tried to use it as of yet.

Oh!. Thanks Now I understand. Somehow I just don't think that was intuitive but maybe i'm just dense. Thanks. Will test it.

I think fluent refers to the arrow as sun (sun rays?).

Otherwise, hope the attached picture helps.

Say the shrine shows the symbols shown at the upper right. Then configure the wheel as shown. Sorry for the ugly picture.

This game is starting to kick my butt with the puzzles. Man some of them are wicked. This Sacred Grove/Save The Glade thing is wicked tough. I'm confused. Which constellation am I supposed to draw in the stone at the top of Skyhenge? Or am I just to sketch every constellation in the glade, which seems like a tall task in itself. They were not kidding when they said they were adding puzzles. These are devious!

So far the puzzles haven't been too bad but I think you raced ahead of myself. The combat difficulty is ramping up quickly. I found two areas way too difficult for myself - so i hope there is a lot more levels to get - i wonder how many levels you can get.

So far the puzzles haven't been too bad but I think you raced ahead of myself. The combat difficulty is ramping up quickly. I found two areas way too difficult for myself - so i hope there is a lot more levels to get - i wonder how many levels you can get.

The combat has been surprisingly not too bad for me. Make sure you aren't going in areas you aren't "supposed to" yet. I avoided those red paladins in the Lowlands for example. And make sure you're spec'ing your party with new gear from the merchants, armor and weapons, crafting potions and equipping trinkets, either potions or otherwise. And trust me, I'm not racing, lol. This Grove puzzle thing is insanely complex. I think you have to find all 12 constellations written on rocks in the maze that is the Ishriach Forest.

I seriously hope the code wheel isn't actually required to play the game, and is simply an optional enticement. Back in the days when the wheel was physically included that worked fine, but having to generate and look at the wheel every so often in a separate window would only strike me as super annoying. Granted, I've not even tried to use it as of yet.

Just print it on photoglossy paper if you can and build it. It's an important part of the game I'd say, not 100% necessary but the shrines give you nice bonuses in gold, rare items and the like.

It is not required it is 'bonus' stuff. So far I got 300 coins from the first one but i missed a lot since i dind't have a wheel.

It is not required it is 'bonus' stuff. So far I got 300 coins from the first one but i missed a lot since i dind't have a wheel.

I got an Elven Shard from one, too, and mostly gold from the others.

Has anyone figured out how to talk to the drunk in skrae brae (quest tortuga swim); i saw the note and i tried drinking …. but it didn't seem to do much.

The note specifies three specific boozes. I've found 2 but they are a long way from Skara Brae, so it's something to just pick up at a bar when you see them and save for later when you return to Skara Brae.

Stupid me, I've been running around the forest trying to sketch every constellation, all I needed was one. D'oh. The quest instructions were not clear there. Anywho, the puzzle wasn't as bad as I was making it out to be, that's for sure.

Stupid me, I've been running around the forest trying to sketch every constellation, all I needed was one. D'oh. The quest instructions were not clear there. Anywho, the puzzle wasn't as bad as I was making it out to be, that's for sure.
I find most puzzles to end that way lately. Hours of frustration trying to solve then all of sudden surprise by accident you solve it, and think oh what an idiot I was.:biggrin:

I find most puzzles to end that way lately. Hours of frustration trying to solve then all of sudden surprise by accident you solve it, and think oh what an idiot I was.:biggrin:

Yep, exactly. :lol: Usually they don't take hours in this game until I realize I'm an idiot but this one did!

You will need others later. Or some of them.

I got an Elven Shard from one, too, and mostly gold from the others.

The note specifies three specific boozes. I've found 2 but they are a long way from Skara Brae, so it's something to just pick up at a bar when you see them and save for later when you return to Skara Brae.

Back
Top Bottom